diy solar

diy solar

AoLithium 12V 100Ah Capacity Test

ditchpickle

Hi All, My first post here, looking for a reality check.

I recently purchased a Aolithium 12v, 100ah, 4S battery:

Received at the usual ~30%SOC and proceeded to charge to 14.5v using a Victron IP22 30amp. It took a lot of cell overvoltage disconnects to reach 14.5v (like 40+). Whatever, brand new battery, needs to top balance. The battery eventually reached 14.5v at 15mv cell delta and I proceed to do a capacity test using a 1000watt Renogy PS inverter, but only get 95-97ah out of it. I have tried multiple times, at discharge rates between 20a and 90a, but have never pulled the full 100ah.

When recharging from 0%SOC: if I charge immediately, it top balances to 14.5 without issue, however, if it sits for a couple days, its takes 30+ cell overvolt disconnects to reach 14.5v.

Notes:
This is a replacement battery, the first on they sent me had similar symptoms, but more more exaggerated (again, on cell3). I sent it back under warranty and received this battery.

I have purchased 2 Aolithium 12v, 100ah previously and they were, and still are perfect.

Am I being too picky? Are my expectations too high? I'm not so much worried about the missing 3-5ah as I am about cell 3 being weak.

See attached photos:

Thanks.

1455.jpg01.jpg03.jpg02.jpg

Last edited:

Received at the usual ~30%SOC and proceeded to charge to 14.5v using a Victron IP22 30amp. It took a lot of cell overvoltage disconnects to reach 14.5v (like 40+). Whatever, brand new battery, needs to top balance.

Yep. new batteries are almost always imbalanced. Great that you can see cell voltages

The battery eventually reached 14.5v at 15mv cell delta and I proceed to do a capacity test using a 1000watt Renogy PS inverter, but only get 95-97ah out of it. I have tried multiple times, at discharge rates between 20a and 90a, but have never pulled the full 100ah.

How are you measuring the 95-97Ah?

When recharging from 0%SOC: if I charge immediately, it top balances to 14.5 without issue, however, if it sits for a couple days, its takes 30+ cell overvolt disconnects to reach 14.5v.

Sign of poorly matched cells.

Charging to 14.5V is kinda aggressive. You can easily get to full charge at 14.0-14.4V with longer absorption times and fewer, if any, disconnects.

Am I being too picky? Are my expectations too high? I'm not so much worried about the missing 3-5ah as I am about cell 3 being weak.

yes and no... You're not paying a premium, but you are paying for a set of specifications.

1) won't reliably charge to manufacturer specified voltage
2) won't meet rated capacity (assuming you're using a reliable means of measurement besides the BMS)

Both are cause for replacement IMHO.

It's a "how much trouble are you willing to go to" situation.

How are you measuring the 95-97Ah?
I should have included that...
I'm using an AiLi 100a battery monitor , visible in the bottom of my last pic. I set it for 110ah and count down from there.

I agree that 14.5v is aggressive. just trying to put it through the wringer.

Any chance it will improve by continuing to cycle it?

Aolithium has agreed to exchange this one as well, but I'm hesitant as the next replacement may be no better. Maybe I'll ask for a refund and build a DIY battery.

Anyways, really appreciate your input!

I should have included that...
I'm using an AiLi 100a battery monitor , visible in the bottom of my last pic. I set it for 110ah and count down from there.

Okay. If it were a smartshunt, I wouldn't question it. Not saying that's a bad shunt, but I'd want to verify it with a second current measurement like with a DC clamp ammeter.

I agree that 14.5v is aggressive. just trying to put it through the wringer.

Yep.

Any chance it will improve by continuing to cycle it?

Nope.

Aolithium has agreed to exchange this one as well, but I'm hesitant as the next replacement may be no better. Maybe I'll ask for a refund and build a DIY battery.

If they're paying for the shipments, let them keep at it until they get you a good one. it's this kind of accountability that will encourage them to improve quality.

Received at the usual ~30%SOC and proceeded to charge to 14.5v using a Victron IP22 30amp. It took a lot of cell overvoltage disconnects to reach 14.5v (like 40+). Whatever, brand new battery, needs to top balance. The battery eventually reached 14.5v at 15mv cell delta and I proceed to do a capacity test using a 1000watt Renogy PS inverter, but only get 95-97ah out of it. I have tried multiple times, at discharge rates between 20a and 90a, but have never pulled the full 100ah.

Notes:
This is a replacement battery, the first on they sent me had similar symptoms, but more more exaggerated (again, on cell3). I sent it back under warranty and received this battery.

I have purchased 2 Aolithium 12v, 100ah previously and they were, and still are perfect.

See attached photos:

Thanks.

View attachment 178339View attachment 178336View attachment 178343View attachment 178342

Test again around 30 degree Celsius ambient temperature.

I watched a youtube capacity test on the 4S and he got about 97Ah using a 0.2C discharge rate with a DL24M tester but he only used a basic charger that gave him 13.35V start voltage but the 4S seems to be an improvement on the other 12V 100Ah battery. They were on sale here at £229.00, less than 300US$ but seems they sold out.

I got one for £209. Capacity tested at 98Ah with a 40-60A discharge. Start temp was about 10 degrees probably. Maybe get the last 2Ah with a 205 degree start.
Main thing I noticed was the voltage drop under load. Using dV/dI method I made this to be about 1.5 milliohms. Eve spec for 105Ah cell is 0.5 milliohms although measured in a different way. The voltage drop was a lot more noticeable than with my 300Ah cells, allowing for different C rate

IMG_4225.PNGIMG_4226.PNG

I got one for £209. Capacity tested at 98Ah with a 40-60A discharge. Start temp was about 10 degrees probably. Maybe get the last 2Ah with a 205 degree start.
Main thing I noticed was the voltage drop under load. Using dV/dI method I made this to be about 1.5 milliohms. Eve spec for 105Ah cell is 0.5 milliohms although measured in a different way. The voltage drop was a lot more noticeable than with my 300Ah cells, allowing for different C rate

View attachment 185520View attachment 185521
Not a bad price.

Not a bad price.
Not sure how long before I’ll see that price again. Even imports are slightly more and not sure what the quality is like. Still waiting for delivery of a £217 one for evaluation. Will be interesting to compare the cell quality to the AOLithium

Back