diy solar

diy solar

AP Systems QS-1 dropping output randomly

Proteus

I have an 8.2kW system comprised of 20 405w Talesun panels and 5 apsystems qs-1 micro inverters. 3 micros are on one string and 2 on the other. Both go to separate breakers in the sub-panel that feeds back to the main. For some reason one of the micro inverters will drop out to a low or zero output (the sampling window seems to be too short) and bounce right back up again. All four panels go down at the the same time at at the same voltage and it isn't shade causing it. A small number of times more than one micro inverter has dropped output at the same time. What I haven't done is check to see if they are on the same string or happening on each. That may help tell me what is wrong. Is there anything else I should check?

There seem a few possibilities to me. I'm in central texas and they are overheating and resetting. They get really, really hot.
There isn't an issue and occasionally an inverter loses communication with the ECU and then reconnects
Overvoltage for some reason. I do have fairly dirty power from my power company
Something I'm unaware of, lol

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

*** EDIT *** I went through my log this morning and most of the time the dropouts are occurring on the 3-inverter string but it has happened on both of the two-inverter strings in the last month or so. It has also done this when it wasn't nearly as hot so I'm not sure overheating is the answer, either.

Last edited:
hi, were you ever able to figure out the issue? i am having exactly same problem but with ds3-3 inverters. i have 12 panels connected in pairs to 6 inverters. they drop in the same fashion as yours at some point during day, sometimes 1 (2 panels) at a time, sometimes more. once or twice a day.
contacted AP but havent gotten answer back yet. it is winter now here in CO with low temperatures so i dont think overheating is an issue.
i thought of communication issue too, i am going to try to place ecu in different spot and see what happens. it does seem to happen with 3 inverters quite a bit more often then other 3.

probably should add that i have no shading at all, my panels are clean and this happens on any day, bluebird or overcast, dont matter.

Hi,

I've created an account mostly for the purpose of participating in this topic as I am beyond pissed with APSystems.

I am also an owner of two APSystems DS3-L inverters. I've bought them in November and immediately realised they had an issue where they would produce energy for the first day of being connected and stop from there onwards (unless you disconnected and reconnected the PV panels on a daily basis). This is a known issue and after a looot of time I managed to get an RMA and two new inverters - which I did install one week ago.

Well: the first issue is gone - they produce energy on a daily basis BUT they reboot several times per day for no reason. I have monitoring and this has been happening every day since the install without exception. There are no clouds or shading of any sort when this happens.

This is unacceptable from my point of view. I have opened a new case with them and will inform you about any updates as they come. For now, here I am three months later after purchasing inverters and STILL without a proper functioning solar array.

Hi,

I've created an account mostly for the purpose of participating in this topic as I am beyond pissed with APSystems.

I am also an owner of two APSystems DS3-L inverters. I've bought them in November and immediately realised they had an issue where they would produce energy for the first day of being connected and stop from there onwards (unless you disconnected and reconnected the PV panels on a daily basis). This is a known issue and after a looot of time I managed to get an RMA and two new inverters - which I did install one week ago.

Well: the first issue is gone - they produce energy on a daily basis BUT they reboot several times per day for no reason. I have monitoring and this has been happening every day since the install without exception. There are no clouds or shading of any sort when this happens.

This is unacceptable from my point of view. I have opened a new case with them and will inform you about any updates as they come. For now, here I am three months later after purchasing inverters and STILL without a proper functioning solar array.
Thanks for your comment! And sorry to hear about Ap RMA. Im switching to DS3D because enphase is not compatible with my new JA 530 panels. Enphase has the best RMA! Keep us posted...

Back