diy solar

diy solar

Are any 48 volt LFP battery warranties worth the paper they are printed on?

reader2580

Do any 48 volt LFP batteries have a warranty that is actually of value? It seems like most companies selling LFP batteries will be out of business before the warranty period on their batteries is over. If the company is still in business it seems like you have to take them to court to get them to honor the warranty.

That’s why wisdom and real-person experience reviews are important- so we buy stuff we don’t have to find out was not a good idea. Nevertheless, if a LiFePo battery lasts a year trouble-free then (other than a fuse or bms) one can probably safely assume an 8-12-year lifecycle.

Of all the places I've seen mentioned on here I would have the most faith in Current Connected who sells the SOK batteries including the 48V server rack versions of making things right.

Yikes.
I hope so.
Is there a specific complaint you have?
Are you looking for a list of quality companies?

If you want a step up in brand name Discover has a new line of rack mount batteries. However they go for a 50% premium over the low market competitors, and they require their controller for comms, and comms is limited to their supported set of tier 1 inverter manufacturers. They are on NAZ.

If you want a step up in brand name Discover has a new line of rack mount batteries. However they go for a 50% premium over the low market competitors, and they require their controller for comms, and comms is limited to their supported set of tier 1 inverter manufacturers. They are on NAZ.
It look like Discover Lithium is one of those companies that only provides support to an official installer. I think DIYers would be in the dark with them.

@reader2580 I have not heard that complaint from Discover customers. I have heard that they are strict about supported configurations and will say sorry can't help if you deviate from those.

Hey! I wanted to jump in and share that in 2023, we've delivered on hundreds of warranty service tickets, showcasing the capability of our American team. It's worth noting that a significant number of these cases turned out to be customer oversights, highlighting the importance of our support in guiding users through various situations, whether product-related or not. Sometimes this looks like an unfair tug of war, but honestly, nothing wastes more time for everyone involved than an unneeded RMA. We're here to support our customers in any instance and serve thousands a week over the phone and via email. ? ☀️

Do any 48 volt LFP batteries have a warranty that is actually of value? It seems like most companies selling LFP batteries will be out of business before the warranty period on their batteries is over. If the company is still in business it seems like you have to take them to court to get them to honor the warranty.

You are right to be suspicious, battery companies don't warrant anything! Doesn't matter who they will find a way to wiggle out of doing anything. I know, battleborn, surret rolls, all big names, doesn't matter all have same tactics. Worse than insurance companies.

It’s just such a commodity product, with very little headroom for manufacturers to differentiate themselves, most even share the same bms and cells. I’m surprised there are so many companies. Hard to say what will happen in 5-10 years, but I’m pretty much planning on having to buy another 90 kWh at some point before I die…

You are right to be suspicious, battery companies don't warrant anything! Doesn't matter who they will find a way to wiggle out of doing anything. I know, battleborn, surret rolls, all big names, doesn't matter all have same tactics. Worse than insurance companies.
I worked for a battery retailer before and battery warranties were such a hopeless endeavor. If the battery didn't come back within a month you just know 99% of the time it was the customer's fault for leaving it dead. 1% of the 1+ month failures were probably legitimate problems, but it's impossible to tell at that point.

With BMS now there's a lot more ability to try and limit customer inflicted damage, but so much more to go wrong in the BMS which I guess is easier to warranty.

Either way it's the same game, it's like trying to warranty a piece of raw meat.

I'm glad we have our wild west cells market where the warranty stops soon after delivery, I don't need to pay the premium for support. You deliver good cells, we're done and I'll take responsibility from here.

I’m surprised there are so many companies. Hard to say what will happen in 5-10 years
I’ll tell you what will happen if all these sketchy paperwork purchase order manufacturers diminish: you will wind up having to buy a new $12,000 car for $42,000 in essence. In other words: the $150 cheap batteries we are paying $$275+ for will wind up all being supplied by just a few “brand names” with a warranty they’ll actually honor but we’ll be paying $600 for that $150 battery.
Economics is way deeper than just supply vs demand these days.

Just for pause and reflection:
A Model T was a good value at $475 once upon a time. Excellent metallurgy and alloys, eminently repairable. A $55k F-150 will be obsolete in 3-5 years, and not well-supported in 8 years: not a good value. Especially in the Rust Belt latitudes.

I’ll tell you what will happen if all these sketchy paperwork purchase order manufacturers diminish: you will wind up having to buy a new $12,000 car for $42,000 in essence. In other words: the $150 cheap batteries we are paying $$275+ for will wind up all being supplied by just a few “brand names” with a warranty they’ll actually honor but we’ll be paying $600 for that $150 battery.
I've given up trying to predict the future. I was on the ground floor on a huge (now - you probably used their stuff today) startup and left because I thought they had no future. Clearly I am an idiot.

At any rate, I value good service and will pay a premium for it. I just hate paying for a bunch of useless frills or marginally valuable features (battery fire suppressors, fancy comms, graphic) I want Model T simplicity, but built to the highest standards, and/or be self repairable. I think a lot of people are like me..

I tried to create an uber app in 2005...
Could not explain to programmers what i wanted...
Now it is a common phrase...

Future vision is difficult to master.
Heh… actually, what I wanna create isn’t exactly Uber. Maybe someday I will make it… clickflit may happen in the future…

I've given up trying to predict the future. I was on the ground floor on a huge (now - you probably used their stuff today) startup and left because I thought they had no future. Clearly I am an idiot
Probably not an idiot.
Sometimes we don’t see things as ‘aggressively’ as others do. Or as timely.

In the late1980’s I on-site created stand-off ‘brackets’ for deck ledger joists. The typical sill rot and flashing headaches were unnecessary, and the connections were strong and waterproof while being quick to assemble with lag bolts.
There are now patents on various approaches to the same with at least 6 major suppliers selling them. I missed the boat.

Simpson sells engineered anchor screws for roof trusses that perform the task of ‘hurricane ties’ also. Funny thing is those are newer on the market- I just noticed them this past year and again a patent- but I’ve been using that method with long, alloy screws for many years. Not the ‘timberlock’ screws, but just an alloy screw.

So I missed the boat on two simple things someone profited greatly from because I didn’t have the vision at the time or perhaps didn’t realize I was being innovative in a time where many builders still didn’t “trust” nail guns.

Vision sensitivity is an acquired skill and they don’t teach it in business school. “Without vision people perish”

Simpson sells engineered anchor screws for roof trusses that perform the task of ‘hurricane ties’ also. Funny thing is those are newer on the market- I just noticed them this past year and again a patent- but I’ve been using that method with long, alloy screws for many years. Not the ‘timberlock’ screws, but just an alloy screw.
How much money do you really think you could make just selling screws for trusses? Simpson Strong Tie makes hundreds of different products so they aren't just selling only one product. I have no idea how they patented a screw, but they certainly have patent people on staff.

The hardest parts about selling into the building products industry are getting the first run of your product made, and getting it into stores. The big box stores generally prefer to work with companies like Simpson Strong Tie that can supply many items versus a company that can supply only one item. Now, they will sell stuff from a single item company at times, but you are going to have to be lucky to get in the door.

The big box stores generally prefer to work with companies like Simpson Strong Tie that can supply many items versus a company that can supply only one item
How much money do you really think you could make just selling screws for trusses?
Gotta look a little bit deeper, have the vision of a businessman.

Do you think any of these big companies come up with everything on their own? Nope!

Definitely, no. They buy rights, pay royalties, or purchase ownership.
The screws idea may not have “bought me a yacht” yet it was obviously a worthwhile idea.
The rim-joist standoff, however, I’m sure would have provided a nice payout over time- way better idea than flashing and bolts and all the overlay wraps people buy that don’t stand the test of time.

It’s ideas that are of monetary value.

A startup to manufacture hangers and braces with all the marketing materials and insertion efforts, IBC/BOCA approvals, and the several existing companies shipping stuff already would neither be practical nor appealing (because “they” would steal the idea anyway). There’s other things that would be less time consuming, more profitable, and take less commitment to make money versus being a thing-seller or manufacturer in a vacuum without the money to defend your patent.

You sell rights, get royalties, or outright transfer the intellectual property for profit.

Back