diy solar

diy solar

Victron 48/5000 x2 or eg4 18kpv: which one are you choosing?

Solar Wizard
For roughly the same price I can get 2x victron multiplus ii 48/5000 120v ,an ac coupled pv inverter, a grid meter, and a cerbo gx

Or

An eg4 18kpv, which already has a grid meter and DC coupled mppts, and solar assistant.

The victrons will output about 8-10kw per mfg spec, and the eg4 will do 12kw.

Solark is not a consideration because I'm team #nevereversolark

The use case is that the system is always grid connected, and the inverter supports main panel loads from pv or battery, up to maximum output, with the grid supplying the rest, simultaneously.

Any excess pv will be sold to the grid and I would like the ability in the future to sell from battery to grid if incentives are offered.

Victron advantages:
  • Low frequency inverter
  • Low idle consumption(about 32w in total)
  • Tier 1 class
  • Venus os and vrm
  • Integrates with smart shunt for soc instead of using questionable bms soc
  • Programmable
Eg4 advantages:
  • Everything in one box
  • Supports selling from battery to grid already
  • Works with solar assistant
  • Ul listed
  • Would take up less space in the solar shed
  • 10 year warranty

So, if you were the one choosing , which would you choose and why?

Last edited:
For roughly the same price I can get 2x victron multiplus ii 48/5000 120v ,an ac coupled pv inverter, a grid meter, and a cerbo gx

Or

An eg4 18kpv, which already has a grid meter and DC coupled mppts, and solar assistant.

The victrons will output about 8-10kw per mfg spec, and the eg4 will do 12kw.

Solark is not a consideration because I'm team #nevereversolark

The use case is that the system is always grid connected, and the inverter supports main panel loads from pv or battery, up to maximum output, with the grid supplying the rest, simultaneously.

Any excess pv will be sold to the grid and I would like the ability in the future to sell from battery to grid if incentives are offered.

Victron advantages:
  • Low frequency inverter
  • Low idle consumption(about 32w in total)
  • Tier 1 class
  • Venus os and vrm
  • Integrates with smart shunt for soc instead of using questionable bms soc
  • Programmable
Eg4 advantages:
  • Everything in one box
  • Supports selling from battery to grid already
  • Works with solar assistant
  • Ul listed
  • Would take up less space in the solar shed
  • 10 year warranty

So, if you were the one choosing , which would you choose and why?
If you have 240v loads the 18k would be a no brainer
Sorry missed out the 2x in initial thread.

Last edited:
If you are in a state that requires UL9540, or will soon require UL9540, sadly, Victron would be off the table. Victron shared early this year that they did not have plans to have a UL9540 solution in at least the next year. 35 states have adopted 2020 NEC or newer which requires ESS's to be listed.

1710699053912.png

If you are in a state that requires UL9540, or will soon require UL9540, sadly, Victron would be off the table. Victron shared early this year that they did not have plans to have a UL9540 solution in at least the next year. 35 states have adopted 2020 NEC or newer which requires ESS's to be listed.

View attachment 202670
Kansas looking good right now.

If you want to sell back, it will have to be permitted and approved by the electric company, so you have to go EG4.
Good point! However, I already have an approved system in place and they do not require notification when changing equipment.

View attachment 202670
In my county I'm sure we're still on 2006 lol. Ul9540 will not be an issue any time soon.

You have experience with both units. Any thoughts? Is there anything the eg4 can do that the victron can't do? And vice versa?

Last edited:
(known) Quality and reputation vs. UL Listing, what a conundrum.
(Maybe EG4 18kpv + PowerPro is very good, not sure yet.)

Also look at Midnight's offerings. They have a battery as well, plan some sort of UL listing, not sure if that is full ESS.
(And I'm thinking Rosie, not AIO)

A pair of MPs to power a house? Don't they have 50a max thruput? An electric stove, HVAC, water heater or whatever will eat most of that.

(known) Quality and reputation vs. UL Listing, what a conundrum.
(Maybe EG4 18kpv + PowerPro is very good, not sure yet.)

Also look at Midnight's offerings. They have a battery as well, plan some sort of UL listing, not sure if that is full ESS.
(And I'm thinking Rosie, not AIO)
It is a conundrum indeed.

I briefly looked at Rosie. Nice unit but it doesn't look like it can offset main panel consumption via cts'. Or did I miss that?
A pair of MPs to power a house? Don't they have 50a max thruput? An electric stove, HVAC, water heater or whatever will eat most of that.
That's exactly the beauty of these two units- they will power the loads up to their max capacity and any above that will be supplied seamlessly by the grid. Similar to how a grid tie inverter works but 24/7 instead of just when the sun is shining.

My demand is below 8kw 99% of the year

Last edited:
Indiana, too!

Yeah! This might mean no RSD requirements for me.

Mike C.
Local jurisdictions can be different even in Indiana. I remember in far NW Indiana you followed what Cook county (Chicago) did in Illinois and you couldn't have any exposed wiring, it had to be in metal conduit.

It is a conundrum indeed.

I briefly looked at Rosie. Nice unit but it doesn't look like it can offset main panel consumption via cts'. Or did I miss that?

That's exactly the beauty of these two units- they will power the loads up to their max capacity and any above the will be supplied seamlessly by the grid. Similar to how a grid tie inverter works but 24/7 inverted of just when the sun is shining.

My demand is below 8kw 99% of the year
Ummm no they really won't provide power above the grid as you have 5000w inverter but limited to 50a, really 80% of 50a or 4800w per inverter.

I have a pair of Quattro 5000s in my RV and they're 100a. One main reason was so I can have 50a shore and power assist over that if needed.

Maybe the 2nd out allows 32a, I can't remember so you could use that but just not sure how easy that would be.

I'm just thinking, my 75gal water heaters 12kw. Dryer and range uses 50a. HVAC is well over that. I think a lot would need to be modified to stay below that limitation.

Also important to remember it's 50a on each leg not 100a combined so all power needs to be properly distributed over both legs.

Ummm no they really won't provide power above the grid as you have 5000w inverter but limited to 50a, really 80% of 50a or 4800w per inverter.

I have a pair of Quattro 5000s in my RV and they're 100a. One main reason was so I can have 50a shore and power assist over that if needed.

Maybe the 2nd out allows 32a, I can't remember so you could use that but just not sure how easy that would be.

I'm just thinking, my 75gal water heaters 12kw. Dryer and range uses 50a. HVAC is well over that. I think a lot would need to be modified to stay below that limitation.

Also important to remember it's 50a on each leg not 100a combined so all power needs to be properly distributed over both legs.
Do you have victron ess set up?

I'm looking at 2x 48/5000s.

With ess they are supposed to be able to push the 4kw x2 into the main panel from the battery. If the load is 15kw, the inverters push 8kw into the panel and the grid supplies 7kw.

Am I misunderstanding how ess works ,or are you?

Do you have victron ess set up?

I'm looking at 2x 48/5000s.

With ess they are supposed to be able to push the 4kw x2 into the main panel from the battery. If the load is 15kw, the inverters push 8kw into the panel and the grid supplies 7kw.

Am I misunderstanding how ess works ,or are you?
It's not ESS but power assist. Are you looking at the Mp2 model? I just checked the spec sheet and looks like you're good as the 48/5000 Mp2 shows 95a transfer switch unlike the others that are only 50a. Also shows the aux output is 48a instead of 32a.

You can only have so much power come into and come out of the device.

He is looking at the MultiPlus II, with 95A transfer switch.

Nevermind. Looks like you figured that out.

Back