diy solar

diy solar

Victron 48/5000 x2 or eg4 18kpv: which one are you choosing?

It's not ESS but power assist. Are you looking at the Mp2 model? I just checked the spec sheet and looks like you're good as the 48/5000 Mp2 shows 95a transfer switch unlike the others that are only 50a. Also shows the aux output is 48a instead of 32a.

You can only have so much power come into and come out of the device.
I wouldn't be feeding the loads through the victron. Ie loads wouldn't be on ac out.
I'll have the victron in parallel with the grid- victron would be pushing power to main panel via the ac input.

Examples

This one by @HighTechLab

Another one

Local jurisdictions can be different even in Indiana. I remember in far NW Indiana you followed what Cook county (Chicago) did in Illinois and you couldn't have any exposed wiring, it had to be in metal conduit.
This link gives a bit more detail:

Screenshot_20240317_155850_Chrome.jpg

I currently have a single UL listed 48V Multiplus II 3000VA with a 48V EG4 LLv2 UL battery for my barn, approved by my AHJ.

If I ever do a critical loads panel for the house, my current thought is 2x EG4 48V PowerPro batteries, with 2x 48V 5000VA Multiplus IIs, but that is a year or two away. Starting power draw calculations and such. I'd like to wait until these units get UL. If AHJ says no, I'll consider the EG4 inverter.

Note: I plan to NOT grid tie.

Last edited:
I currently have a single UL listed 48V Multiplus II 3000VA with a 48V EG4 LLv2 UL battery for my barn, approved by my AHJ.

If I ever do a critical loads panel for the house, my current thought is 2x EG4 48V PowerPro batteries, with 2x 48V 5000VA Multiplus IIs, but that is a year or two away. Starting power draw calculations and such. I'd like to wait until these units get UL. If AHJ says no, I'll consider the EG4 inverter.

Note: I plan to NOT grid tie.
Are you using it for 120v only, or with a transformer?

Mine is grid tie only. A lot more options out there for non grid tie although I still prefer hybrid inverters even in an "off grid" situation where the grid is available

Are you using it for 120v only, or with a transformer?
The barn system is to provide a single 120V 20A outlet, DC power for a WiFi antenna and ubiquiti camera (to watch animals) on a DC PoE switch, and DC lights.

The house system will be split phase to the critical loads panel.

I went with the Multiplus II as I wanted to be able to charge from the house if the weather isn't good during lambing season (read: heat lamp high draw), and I am a Linux nerd and can hack the Cerbo/pi. :)

The barn system is to provide a single 120V 20A outlet, DC power for a WiFi antenna and ubiquiti camera (to watch animals) on a DC PoE switch, and DC lights.

The house system will be split phase to the critical loads panel.
Without derailing my own thread, if you already have permission from ahj why are you only interested in a protected loads panel and not ess ,which can support all your loads?

I have permission from AHJ for the barn system. I have not yet started the process for the house system. The barn is up and running, with a ground mount set of panels next to the barn, so I can 'fiddle' without having to climb on the roof of the barn.

Yes, my current thought is critical loads panel for the house, using the 2x Multiplus II, with batteries and solar. To the extent that I can run all my loads off of solar and battery and minimize my grid usage I will, but I am only starting down that path for the house now, doing a power usage survey. Once I do that, I'll figure out how much battery and solar I need, amount of time I want to have without grid, calculate cost, etc. This will be a 1-2 year adventure.

Note: No grid tie for me. I may occasionally have to charge the batteries from grid, but I don't want to back feed the grid.

Last edited:
I briefly looked at Rosie. Nice unit but it doesn't look like it can offset main panel consumption via cts'. Or did I miss that?

Not certain what they've said.

Lots of planned features mentioned on the forum by Midnight. They've been talking about both Rosie and 10k AIO, so I might mix some things up. Ask Midnight. While they can't guarantee current hardware will support a planned feature, they could tell you if they expect to.

It has ports on the board for CTs. See the internal picture on the listing: https://www.currentconnected.com/pr...7000w-inverter-120amp-charger-mobile-version/

I will check tomorrow regarding what CTs to use and get those added on our website and linked in to the product listings.

I really am glad our photographer takes internal photos ;)
It's so pretty. Nice pics. One thing that scares me, is that two fans at the top and four fans at the bottom? I'm always leery of tiny fans and potential annoying noise.

Screenshot_20240318_024312_Chrome.jpg

It has ports on the board for CTs. See the internal picture on the listing: https://www.currentconnected.com/pr...7000w-inverter-120amp-charger-mobile-version/

I will check tomorrow regarding what CTs to use and get those added on our website and linked in to the product listings.

I really am glad our photographer takes internal photos ;)
thanks!

I pulled up the manual again and here is what it says

"Current Transformer (CT)Terminals (#3) Two terminals available for remote current transformers to measure AC branch or grid-connect currents.(Not yet active, future firmware release)"

Back