diy solar

diy solar

Are these the batteries we all have been waiting for?

birdman333

Hi everyone, I am a newer member but have learned alot so thank you to everyone for helping each other. Let me state that I am not sponsored by anyone nor do I have any motive but to learn and help if I can. Recently I have discovered a 24v and a 48 v LiFePO4 battery that is ALMOST to good to believe, I say almost because I have purchased 6 of these and I believe them to be the best I've ever seen. They are called GYLL lithium iron batteries. They have an intellegent BMS that talks to the other batteries you can install them in a 19 inch rack system, they are about 100 pounds each but are in a case that looks more like stereo equipment then batteries. They are also less expensive then building your own. At least now they are. I won't give a company name that sells them but you can look them up and find them. I hope Will, will test one of these so we can all see how great they are. Again I am not sponsored and I want to follow the rules so I am going to say I think they are what alot of us may be looking for at a price that is really good. I again hope Will, will test these.

Attachments

• 20200714_182121[1].jpg
    20200714_182121[1].jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 250
I purchased 16 LiFePO4 batteries, 280 ah each for $1882 delivered to my door. That equals over 14.3 kwh of storage. These are $1500 for 5.12 kwh (not sure if that includes shipping price and tax). Nice that they come with a BMS and case, but a BMS is pretty cheap nowadays. Would need to spend almost $4500 (plus shipping as I assume they aren't shipping 100lb boxes for free; plus tax if applicable) to equal my DIY capacity.

A decent option if you don't go the DIY route, but still nowhere near the cost of DIY. And there is a rep in the corporate corner section selling 280 ah batteries for $70 each to forum members with good shipping prices.

Last edited:
Still waiting on mine but I started a thread a week or so ago:

I purchased 16 LiFePO4 batteries, 280 ah each for $1882 delivered to my door. That equals over 14.3 kwh of storage. These are $1500 for 5.12 kwh (not sure if that includes shipping price and tax). Nice that they come with a BMS and case, but a BMS is pretty cheap nowadays. Would need to spend almost $4500 (plus shipping as I assume they aren't shipping 100lb boxes for free; plus tax if applicable) to equal my DIY capacity.

A decent option if you don't go the DIY route, but still nowhere near the cost of DIY. And there is a rep in the corporate corner section selling 280 ah batteries for $70 each to forum members with good shipping prices.

I agree with this, and its a semi useful comparison, but at the same time largely an apples to oranges comparison. Comparing this battery (or any prebuilt battery) to the absolute cheapest $/kWh grey market raw cells available is comparing two products from quite different market segments.

I think many of us forget (myself included) that people who prefer to purchase prebuilt batteries, are not just paying for the cells + BMS + case, they are paying to 'outsource' a substantial amount of time, research, learning, risk, and responsibility to (in theory) someone more knowledgeable/capable than themselves.

So while I prefer the DIY route, I can see why many will prefer the drop-in route, I know nothing about these batteries, but if they are good quality, $1500 for 5kwh seems to compare favorably to many of the other drop-in options. Lots of ifs and unknowns though without knowing more about what's inside the box or who the manufacturer is, what if any the warranty terms are etc.

They are also less expensive then building your own. At least now they are.

I posted my example because of this line in the original post - to itemize how this new battery is not even close to being less expensive than building your own. How could it be? They have employees to pay - engineers to build the product, product support teams, people that deal with returns and shipping, internet sales team, website development, overseas product sourcing, phone bills, electric bills for their office, storage facility, etc. Hard to compete price wise with a lot of us getting the cells directly from China and building our own with near zero overhead (beyond research time that is). I can't imagine a solid built product from a company coming close to DIY prices for these reasons alone. I don't believe that is even the goal of this product, just a statement made by the OP.

I agree that they appear to be a nice alternative to some others out there (BattleBorn) at a competitive price point. But again, no where near DIY prices. I do hope they are great and we start getting reviews in on them. Always good to have options and competition typically lowers prices all around.

They are also less expensive then building your own. At least now they are.

I posted my example because of this line in the original post - to itemize how this new battery is not even close to being less expensive than building your own.

Sorry, you are completely correct, I overlooked that sentence in the original post.

Hi everyone, I am a newer member but have learned alot so thank you to everyone for helping each other. Let me state that I am not sponsored by anyone nor do I have any motive but to learn and help if I can. Recently I have discovered a 24v and a 48 v LiFePO4 battery that is ALMOST to good to believe, I say almost because I have purchased 6 of these and I believe them to be the best I've ever seen. They are called GYLL lithium iron batteries. They have an intellegent BMS that talks to the other batteries you can install them in a 19 inch rack system, they are about 100 pounds each but are in a case that looks more like stereo equipment then batteries. They are also less expensive then building your own. At least now they are. I won't give a company name that sells them but you can look them up and find them. I hope Will, will test one of these so we can all see how great they are. Again I am not sponsored and I want to follow the rules so I am going to say I think they are what alot of us may be looking for at a price that is really good. I again hope Will, will test these.
So how are the batteries working for you?

Yes, the batteries when you hook them up have a built in software to install via RJ45 cable to your computer for the BMS's and they of course let you connect them in Parallel so they talk to each other to keep the charges inline. So if nothing else a viable choice, again I'm not sponsored or anything I just felt they are a good option and hope that someone will do a full test of them .I'm finishing my system in the next few weeks so will have more info then, thank you.

Question what batteries did you buy at that price?

Question what batteries did you buy at that price?
3.2 volt, 280 amp hour LiFePO4 EVE cells from Xuba. I ordered 16 to make two 24 volt batteries. You can also make one 48 volt battery with 16 as well. When I bought them they were about $85 or so each, plus shipping. I chose slow boat shipping to save a few hundred vs. air shipping. Took 32 days total to arrive at my door in the USA. I've read now that due to the virus, air shipping may not be available, so boat may be the only option anyhow. I was very pleased with Xuba and their rep Amy.

However, there is a post in the corporate corner section with a new vendor offering them at $70 each plus shipping to forum members. Hoping a few people start ordering from him to see how things go with that cheaper route as I may be in the market for 16 more.

How are you getting on with these batteries? I'm looking at buying 2 of the 48v ones to go with a Growatt 48V SPF 3000TL LVM all-in-one and 1.9kw panel system for my off grid cabin. Just wanting to see how they are working for you and if you have any recommendations.
Thanks!

EDIT: DISREGARD

SORRY NEVERMIND:
I just checked again, and it is: Pylontech, WECO, and Soltaro that interface with MPP LV6548... I was mistaken, not sure why I had thought GYLL...

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
Yeah these GYLL are one of the brands which MPP LV6548 inverters can interface with the BMS... I was curious about these, but since I already bought 32x cells, I couldn't go this route at this point. This would be good for those with MPP inverters that want to have the full BMS monitoring where the inverter is aware, you just plug in an RJ45 network cable between these 2 devices...

Last edited:
EDIT: DISREGARD

Yeah these GYLL are one of the brands which MPP LV6548 inverters can interface with the BMS... I was curious about these, but since I already bought 32x cells, I couldn't go this route at this point. This would be good for those with MPP inverters that want to have the full BMS monitoring where the inverter is aware, you just plug in an RJ45 network cable between these 2 devices...

SORRY NEVERMIND:
I just checked again, and it is: Pylontech, WECO, and Soltaro
Cool. Thx!

Cool. So connect RJ45 from the charge controller to one battery and then RJ45 between batteries as well?
And in the setup of the Growatt, choose Li battery? or still input parameters manually under battery selection?
Thx

Well yeah I edited my post there, but on MPP, they support Pylontech, WECO, and Soltaro batteries with their BMS interconnectivity... Who knows maybe GYLL uses similar protocol but MPP doesn't list them as supported or anything... I just had a brain fart and got the brands mixed up in my mind hehe

Any idea of what sort of integration this allows out of the box? I have never really looked into how any of the BMS / component pairs that talk to eachother leverage that communication.

I would love to know as well.

I have the GYLL battery and some Victron and Schneider equipment that can utilize canbus information butM totally ignorant of what is possible, communication protocols etc.

Does anyone know what software I would need to connect a PC to the GYLL battery RJ45 port and get info on it?
Thanks

Here are the spec sheet and battery manual that I received from Signature Solar for the 48v 100ah.
They suggest the best charging voltage is 56v. Charging BMS warning=59v, BMS Protection=60v. Discharge BMS warning=45v, BMS Protection=43.2v. Setting charging voltage at 56v will get to something like 99% charge, and diminishing returns to push it over that, and I assume shortening battery longevity. What about on the discharge? I'm hoping that I'm designing my system so as to rarely get to the discharge cutoff, but I'm seeing several conflicting suggestions for low voltage limit. Some suggest 20% as the lowest and setting at 51v and some as low as 46v. The battery manual says that discharge voltage "Recover at 48V".
Suggestions?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 48v-100ah-lifepo4-5-12kwh-solar-lithium-v-3846665203-01.jpeg
    48v-100ah-lifepo4-5-12kwh-solar-lithium-v-3846665203-01.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 37
  • GYll Battery Manual 01.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
Here are the spec sheet and battery manual that I received from Signature Solar for the 48v 100ah.
They suggest the best charging voltage is 56v. Charging BMS warning=59v, BMS Protection=60v. Discharge BMS warning=45v, BMS Protection=43.2v. Setting charging voltage at 56v will get to something like 99% charge, and diminishing returns to push it over that, and I assume shortening battery longevity. What about on the discharge? I'm hoping that I'm designing my system so as to rarely get to the discharge cutoff, but I'm seeing several conflicting suggestions for low voltage limit. Some suggest 20% as the lowest and setting at 51v and some as low as 46v. The battery manual says that discharge voltage "Recover at 48V".
Suggestions?
Thanks!
Greetings Al: I'm surprised that none of the super smart people on this forum replied. I'm not one of them, but I am interested in your signature solar system as I'm just about to buy a bank of batteries from them and the 6k inverter. Can I ask how things are running so far and if you would change anything if you could go back and do it again? George

Back