diy solar

diy solar

As the Worm Turns, or some such stories.

Stepandwolf

Solar Enthusiast
I am attempting to assemble a 48V system to put in a CONEX on my AZ property. I found the local guy with $35 240W panels so that is covered. I started researching inverters and batteries. I came upon the LV6048 at Will's reccomendation. Happened two places were having BF sales.

Current Connected was selling it for $700, free shipping, NO warranty or tech support. The ad is still up.

Watts247 was also selling the MPP LV6048 but for $650 plus shipping which came to about $720. Their ad said you got 2 years of warranty and tech support. I thought for $20 I would like to have the warranty and support. That ad has since been taken down.

Well, after a delivery delay in Utah, my inverter arrived today...BUT, the worm did turn....

The outside of the box was pretty plain, but it said model number RS-H6048....what.....that isn't LV6048.

Sure enough...inside the box was the Rich Solar version...with a note to contact them for service and support...

The RS-H6048 is selling on the RS site for $700 off, only $1899.99!! The same thing I just received for $720?

Are these two exact clones of the same system, or did RS tweak it? Should I consider the RS vs the MPP version to be worth less or more, or sameo?

As an aside, I am still shopping for LiFePO4 cells, something I can buy 16 of for as little as possible...even consider 100A or whatever. I can wait for a China shipment as I have in the past...was trying to find a topic on here about best deals on cells?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Same unit.

$75 grade B 305Ah cells in pre-order:

Only 50% more than 100Ah cells for 3X the capacity...

Note also that that inverter is power hungry with a ~80-100W idle draw meaning it will drain 50% of a 100Ah battery just by being on... with no loads.

What part of AZ?

Same unit.

$75 grade B 305Ah cells in pre-order:

Only 50% more than 100Ah cells for 3X the capacity...

Note also that that inverter is power hungry with a ~80-100W idle draw meaning it will drain 50% of a 100Ah battery just by being on... with no loads.

What part of AZ?

Sold Seligman property and bought Concho property....closer to home in NM and laxer regulations.

BTW, was looking at those cells, and their 100A ones...don't know how those prices compare to current Chinese prices as I can wait.

Sold Seligman property and bought Concho property....closer to home in NM and laxer regulations.

BTW, was looking at those cells, and their 100A ones...don't know how those prices compare to current Chinese prices as I can wait.

They're cheaper, and the're supported by a stateside company. No brainer. You'll wait anyway because their shipment isn't here yet...

They're cheaper, and the're supported by a stateside company. No brainer. You'll wait anyway because their shipment isn't here yet...
If I get good cells, then I don't care where the seller is as they all speak English :) I just noticed your AZ addy....I am at 6600'. Did you get that snow that is rolling through now?

Very funny you mentioned Seligman, I just visited my parents in Prescott and we drove through there!

This morning:

We're about halfway between the "Y" and Concho Valley.
Due to the HBR in your addy, I thought that was Heber...We are close to each other. I am also between those two points, about 2mi NW of Outback.. I wish 8052 was a through street as the maps show :(

Just got a quote from Basen, my previous preferred vendor.

16pcs EVE 100ah L
*Unit price:US$31/pc; 16pcs=US$496

1pc JBD 16S 100A BMS with BT
*Unit price:US$40

*Shipping cost:US$143, by railway or sea&delivery, including customs clearance and taxes, shipping time is around 50-60 working days.(DDP)

TOTAL AMOUNT:USD679

The same cells at 186 with the BMS and shipping is $1000 for comparison. I have asked them if they sell any "storage grade" cells.

Very funny you mentioned Seligman, I just visited my parents in Prescott and we drove through there!
Preskit, primarily Californians who forgot why they left CA. It is their politics that encouraged me out of Yavapai County. Example, I couldn't put a CONEX on my 8a I owned there... Despite being hidden out of view, and a few hundred feet away was one on my neighbor's land. Example2: You can only camp on your own property 2 weeks a year...

(getting off soapbox, this off-topic reply can be deleted)

HBR = Honey Badger Ranch... you know... 'cause Honey Badger don't give a shit.

LOL... I though 8052 looked familiar... We're just a hair North of it. We're probably 4 miles apart as the crow flies.

Again, I would caution you from getting only 100ah cells. Your power hungry inverter will only leave you with 50Ah usable.

HBR = Honey Badger Ranch... you know... 'cause Honey Badger don't give a shit.

LOL... I though 8052 looked familiar... We're just a hair North of it.

Again, I would caution you from getting only 100ah cells. Your power hungry inverter will only leave you with 50Ah usable.
And I am Ridge Valley Ranch, google it... I too am a hair north of 8052...my street T's on it.. I will remember when I P that you are downhill :) My property actually goes from 6545 heading into the valley and 6643 at the street. The middle runs around 6620'. My home in NM is at 5350'. Temps by my Concho property run about 10 degrees cooler than at home. BTW, 12 years ago I moved from a hobby farm in the boonies outside of the Twin Cities...I know cold and snow. Supposed to have people working at my property tomorrow if conditions permit,i.e. mud.

Warning noted, thanks...

Last edited:
I see you on google maps... Correction. 2.01 miles almost due West of us.

How long have you been there?
Bought in August....other than sleeping in my SUV for a few nights, I haven't stayed there.... Actually, I have made several trips there but usually stay in Show Low. When I get things set up, I will bring my TT out there and stay longer. Possibly build out there some day.

Bought in August....other than sleeping in my SUV for a few nights, I haven't stayed there.... Actually, I have made several trips there but usually stay in Show Low. When I get things set up, I will bring my TT out there and stay longer. Possibly build out there some day.

Welcome to the neighborhood! We've owned since 2019 and have been slowly expanding.

Bing has more current maps:

1701493947289.png

• 2X 5th wheels - Left one has a 420# propane tank at the top left leased from Owens. Filled in 4/2022... still about about 45%.
  • 3X IBC totes for water storage just above the right trailer - left is 1 330gal and right is 330gal stacked on a 275ga. We get 1-2 water deliveries per year.
  • Little white dot between the trailers and the conex casting a shadow is our weather station and camera from which those pictures were taken above.
  • 40' conex with 2970W on PV on top. Another 2970W of panels and racking inside waiting to install... plus another 5kW inside for ?. Victron goodies and a custom 23.3kWh NMC battery from plug in hybrids running the show.
We were on Frontier DSL, but now we have Starlink.

We're winterized right now, so we'll only go up about once a month until Feb, but during the non-freezing months, we try to go every 2-3 weeks.

BTW, since you can use a Visible SIM that is $25/mon for service, why would you pay for Starlink? To me, Starlink is only useful when there is no cell alternative. I have cell service with 3 of the carriers to ensure service most of the time, anywhere and the cost of having all 3 is less than Starlink.

T-Mobile is supposed to be installed on Hillcrest which will then allow use of $10 SIMs for unlimited HS data.

In fact, TMO is selling hot spot service right now for $10 that allows 50GB. The unlimited data TMO tablet SIMS for $10 are probably better, but those are with a business plan which anyone can get for a second alternative.

To get Frontier, that would mean you have a landline to your place?

BTW, since you can use a Visible SIM that is $25/mon for service, why would you pay for Starlink?

Performance and reliability. When frontier goes down area-wide, Verizon goes down area-wide as everybody shifts to it. While there's other names in the area, almost all the infrastructure is Verizon and I see now that visible is the Cricket of Horizon. :)

I was also given the Starlink hardware for free.

For my specific area, we're in a 4G LTE area for Visible. We have Verizon cell service, and it's okay. $105/month for 4 lines, so Visible wouldn't cut it for whole site hotspot service.

To me, Starlink is only useful when there is no cell alternative. I have cell service with 3 of the carriers to ensure service most of the time, anywhere and the cost of having all 3 is less than Starlink.

True. What sort of speed do you get? DL with starlink is consistently > 100 and uploads are > 30. With VRM and camera monitoring, I want decent speed. We may be off grid, but we want full connectivity. There is also a wife and kids to consider :)

Visible hotspot is limited to 5Mbps. That would never work for me.

T-Mobile is supposed to be installed on Hillcrest which will then allow use of $10 SIMs for unlimited HS data.

In fact, TMO is selling hot spot service right now for $10 that allows 50GB. The unlimited data TMO tablet SIMS for $10 are probably better, but those are with a business plan which anyone can get for a second alternative.

Sounds good. There are more options than there were when we first got up there.

To get Frontier, that would mean you have a landline to your place?

I did.

The Google 5/19 image of your property only shows tire tracks. As you said, the Bing image is later, and it seems what the County uses, but it is lower resolution. I use the free Google Earth Pro but nothing since May, 2019. You have 2 more acres than me... I have an awesome view of Windsor Valley and the White Mountains...what about from your place? The west half of your property is a bit more sparse than the east half.

The Google 5/19 image of your property only shows tire tracks. As you said, the Bing image is later, and it seems what the County uses, but it is lower resolution. I use the free Google Earth Pro but nothing since May, 2019. You have 2 more acres than me... I have an awesome view of Windsor Valley and the White Mountains...what about from your place? The west half of your property is a bit more sparse than the east half.

West slopes down then uphill to my neighbor's place:

1701568782144.png

That is not a camera artifact. It really looked like that.

Mountain view to South is nice. Can't see Windsor valley.

Neighbor's place is 3 stories, so you can see everything everywhere from there.

Back