diy solar

diy solar

Used Solar Panel Brands?

However, that place in TN has brand new 370W ZN Shine panels for $98 each or $2750 for a crate of 31 panels. That's like $0.25/w for new panels that apparently also qualify for solar tax credits.

Thanks
I purchased some of those same panels (same price) a month ago. Very sceptical about a new name (to me) and what kind of quality?
Well I must say they are performing to spec and then maybe more considering the time of year. My only critique would be they have a slightly flimsy frame especially compared to my Mission Solar panels. I paired one of these panels up with an Ecoflo Delta 2 and it seems to be a great match. The rest are for a separate project for someone else.
Bottom line: Good panel at bargain basement price. If you can reach them on a 4 hour ride that gas bill is going to be a lot less than shipping from anywhere. Just my 2 cents.

How exactly does a new panel warranty work in the real world?
These panels should last for 20+ years. What are the chances that your panel distributor will still be around in 10 years?
Then the panel manufacturer?
Finally, if they don't cover the costs of shipping for some type of exchange or replacement, does it even make sense to pursue a warranty claim if a few panels die in the first 5 years or so?
Just last fall I had to warranty out a panel. I contacted the vendor, they pointed me straight to the manufacturer. The vendor doesn't provide the warranty, so this makes sense.
The manufacturer sent me out a new, higher rates panel, shipping cost was covered by the warranty.

I purchased some of those same panels (same price) a month ago. Very sceptical about a new name (to me) and what kind of quality?
Well I must say they are performing to spec and then maybe more considering the time of year. My only critique would be they have a slightly flimsy frame especially compared to my Mission Solar panels. I paired one of these panels up with an Ecoflo Delta 2 and it seems to be a great match. The rest are for a separate project for someone else.
Bottom line: Good panel at bargain basement price. If you can reach them on a 4 hour ride that gas bill is going to be a lot less than shipping from anywhere. Just my 2 cents.
Nice to know they are performing well. Others have reported similar findings...that they perform well and output is to spec.
My question on those panels is their longevity. As pointed out by others there seems to be some inconsistent manufacturing with the solder blobs which introduces some doubt as to how robust these will be. And being newer...only time will tell.
I've not decided yet, but for a few bucks more per panel and no need to drive 5 hours...if the REC have free shipping I'm really leaning in that direction. Just seems like more of a proven manufacturer.

The deal you mention sounds real good.

The free shipping deal looks like it's going away after today.

I ordered a battery from them last week with free shipping also.
No tracking for it as of yet so I don't know if it has actually shipped.

I have never ordered something that required freight shipping from anywhere that went out quickly. My old job it took some time to set up freight shipments whenever we did them.

OK, so REC is good quality? I've heard of a lot of these brands such as REC, but just because I've heard of them doesn't mean they are high quality. Also, does an older product line just mean they might be a little less efficient? I'm actually OK with that because I also tend to think that as products get developed and competition increases, the quality/durability tends to decrease.
I chose REC over QCell, Aptos, LG, and amongst others because they appear to be the most rigid and well made.

You won't get any warranty on used panels.
that actually isn't true. suntan offers a 1yr warranty on all used solar panels and have an extended 5yr if purchased. I had some that in a few months showed delamination issues. a few pics and they paid to ship them back and for the replacements returned.

Back