diy solar

diy solar

PV panel prices ….Why….?..

JRH

Solar Wizard
Simply put, with all the rising prices today on most everything, what is driving the prices of PV panel down so far , so fast..?
I just paid about 25 % per watt of what I paid two years ago…2 grand less than they were a year ago….for New Brand name panels … what’s the force behind this… how low can they possibly go…? …are they Gona start issuing EBT cards for solar panels…?
Somthing is afoot here I am missing….

J.

There is a certain truth to the supply/demand argument being offered by some financial/economic pundits regarding prices for solar panels -substantial over-supply is causing a price war.

However - I'm of the opinion that some bigger players (essentially those within China) are engaged in dumping heavily subsidized panels on the international market with the intent to drive other manufacturers out of the market.

You can stand on principles and insist on buying panels which have been manufactured in Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Germany or the US.
Or buy a sh!t ton of cheaper panels and enjoy the ride.

Im in the same boat. I paid $4k for panels I could get for $1200 now. Lol at us!
My first solar panel was a 10 watt I bought to stash in the car 20 years ago for emergency’s .
12 v .8 amp… phones , radios , lights, ……..
it was 100 dollars … 10 dollars per watt.
I have used it for for fun and it’s still great…

At a quarter or so per watt now your risk potential doesn’t exist… why not buy and just stash them for later…… sorta like gold or silver coins when they were at the bottom.. who knows what gonna happen.

I see a power purchase agreement between you and your utility in your future.
Nawww, I’m to much of an old introvert to into a fancy office meeting with people in suits.. been there , done that, don’t want no more of it…. But you youngsters out there , y’all go for it… it teaches ya a lot about life…

At a quarter or so per watt now your risk potential doesn’t exist… why not buy and just stash them for later…… sorta like gold or silver coins when they were at the bottom.. who knows what gonna happen.
very good point!

I remember getting all excited when I bought a 100 watt panel, for only $500.00, about 30 some years ago, it was a great deal! I paid 30 cents per watt on my last purchase.
The best deal I ever got was a 40 watt "Solarex"panel that was abandoned on a 9,000' mountain top as part of a failed radio system for the Forest Service in my area. The small tower had fallen over, the batteries burst, the panel was lying oin the ground. I spotted it from the air while flying over it as it's right behind my property and my airstrip, it was another 3 or 4 years before I decided I had salvage rights and made the tough hike up and down to get it. It's been moving all the water in my home's solar water heating system for over 20 years now! If the Forest Service wants it, all they have to do is ask me. Oh, and send someone up the mountain to cleap up the remaining junk still up there.

Back