diy solar

diy solar

Augmented dump load with Electrodacus and Boost Converter

Berk8520

The attached diagram is my current setup in my RV with the exception of the boost converter. I am currently dumping the solar panels to to a 36 volt water heater element using the Elecrodacus DSSR 20 and the DEXT 16 . On cloudy days the hot water is not always getting to temp so I would like to augment the dump load. I was thinking I could ad the boost converter to supplement the dump load when needed. My concern is back feeding to the panels. How do I protect the panels and the boost converter. Maybe diodes? The other option might be wrapping the tank in a 12 volt heating pad. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Full system.png

Last edited:
The attached diagram is my current setup in my RV with the exception of the boost converter. I am currently dumping the solar panels to to a 36 volt water heater element using the Elecrodacus DSSR 20 and the DEXT 16 . On cloudy days the hot water is not always getting to temp so I would like to augment the dump load. I was thinking I could ad the boost converter to supplement the dump load when needed. My concern is back feeding to the panels. How do I protect the panels and the boost converter. Maybe diodes? The other option might be wrapping the tank in a 12 volt heating pad. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

View attachment 41860
What’s the wattage of the 36V heating element? pretty high i suppose. The PV panels can deal with that as they will happily feed a short circuit load at whatever power they can supply, but will your 10A boost converter be happy with a load which tries to draw more current than it’s rated for? I guess the 10A limit is on the input side at 12V, so just over 3A on the 36V side.

Backfeeding the panels shouldn’t be an issue since the DSSR incorporates an ideal diode, so can only pass current in the correct direction.

What’s the wattage of the 36V heating element? pretty high i suppose. The PV panels can deal with that as they will happily feed a short circuit load at whatever power they can supply, but will your 10A boost converter be happy with a load which tries to draw more current than it’s rated for? I guess the 10A limit is on the input side at 12V, so just over 3A on the 36V side.

Backfeeding the panels shouldn’t be an issue since the DSSR incorporates an ideal diode, so can only pass current in the correct direction.
The element is rated at 1200w. Maybe I am reading the spec sheet for the boost converter incorrectly but the way I read it it is 10 amps on the output side. They same make offers converters up to 30 amps.

spec sheet.png

Last edited:
The element is rated at 1200w. Maybe I am reading the spec sheet for the boost converter incorrectly but the way I read it it is 10 amps on the output side. They same make offers converters up to 30 amps.

View attachment 41870
Ok, the 1200w heater element will try to draw more than 30A from the 10A output rated boost converter. So the question is how does that device react? Will it supply 10A and work happily, or shut down due to overcurrent, or will it burn out?

Back