diy solar

diy solar

Automatic Transfer Switch- which one?

pda1

I've read alot about ATS (plural) and need to install one on my system. My system's off-grid but would like to have an ATS instead of having to plug and unplug extension cords in what seems all the time to reconnect everything to the grid when it's dark and the batteries are low.

My system is now a 2kW with 2 BB LiFePo in series for a 24v system feeding a 2kW Giandel inverter. All work very well and I've had no problems so far.

Moes ats appears to be a very popular unit though I'm not impressed or inspired by their supposed lousy instructions. And the few comments here and there talking about "burnining houses down" or "destroying your inverter" with a Moes are very detracting.

That said, what's your opinion?

Thanks,

Peter

A hybrid inverter might be a better option....keep your 2kw inverter for backup.

Hybrid inverter will run off solar and if no solar will switch to battery and when battery goes dead will start generator.....all automatic and easy to wire.

A hybrid inverter might be a better option....keep your 2kw inverter for backup.

Hybrid inverter will run off solar and if no solar will switch to battery and when battery goes dead will start generator.....all automatic and easy to wire.
Do you have an example of one?

I see that Victron Multiplus's are hybrid inverters.

Would the mppt controller no longer be needed?

No doubt I'd gain more from one but the price is high. Am also concerned that the power company lineman might shocked if there's a problem.

I see that Victron Multiplus's are hybrid inverters.

Would the mppt controller no longer be needed?

No doubt I'd gain more from one but the price is high. Am also concerned that the power company lineman might shocked if there's a problem.
A unit that has been tested/listed under UL standards will take care of that.

Are you net metering? Sounds like no. Many hybrid inverters can also be set to zero export so the grid will not be back fed.

A unit that has been tested/listed under UL standards will take care of that.

Are you net metering? Sounds like no. Many hybrid inverters can also be set to zero export so the grid will not be back fed.
Not doing net metering. Are Victron products UL listed?

Well, that's a nice one but the 2 second switch over will shut off computers if they're on.

I need uninterrupted switch over....something like 20ms or so.

Given "would like to have an ATS instead of having to plug and unplug extension cords" I had assumed that this was merely to replace the existing method.

In that case, you should use one of these:

This is the first one I used, and it switches quickly - It indicates a 30mS switchover, however I've not measured so can't back that claim up. It doesn't interrupt my computers, TVs, or any other devices, however the LED lights do flicker so you'll know it's switched.

I eventually upgraded to this one:

It switches more slowly (more mass to switch, I assume), and I have one Roku TV that will reset when it switches, but the computers and other devices are happy enough with it.

These switches have NO hysteresis, nor any sort of timer. Also, note the vent holes on the switching side - they throw sparks at each switch event. Given your loads are small, I don't think it'll be much, but you should enclose it in a metal box.

Now looking at a Victron Multiplus Compact. That might well solve the problem as it can do much more than a simple transfer switch.

Back