diy solar

diy solar

Backfeed Breaker Bus Bar location

manncura

Planning a PV sytem for my home. Using microinverters. Output AC is going to go through a backfeed breaker in the Main Panel. All the the videos and things I have read say to put the breaker at the bottom of the bus bar. Except my panel includes the schematic below which calls out the top of the bus bar is where a back fed breaker should go. Any thoughts? This at least a 20 year old panel so obviously it is thinking about a solar pv ac output, but not sure that matters. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 10.37.09 PM.png

All the the videos and things I have read say to put the breaker at the bottom of the bus bar. Except my panel includes the schematic below which calls out the top of the bus bar is where a back fed breaker should go. Any thoughts?
If the panel is "backfed" from the grid by a breaker, then it goes into the slot indicated on the label. This is in lieu of a "main" breaker. The panel has ONE power source, the backfed breaker to the grid.

For an AC coupled solar system, the "backfed" breaker goes at the end of the bus bar. The panel then has TWO power sources, one is from the grid (be it from a backfed breaker, main breaker, or lugs, all of which come from the top) and the the solar backfed breaker (at the bottom).

Basically the issue is that "backfed" means two different things whether it is from the grid or from the solar.

The reason the solar backfed breaker is at the end of the bus bar is so the power sources don't concentrate at the end of the bus bar and overload it. If the grid comes in the top and the solar in the bottom, then the bus bar will not be overloaded (if you follow the formula in the code).

Mike C.

If you're taking advantage of the 120% rule, then the backfeed breaker needs to be as far away from where the main grid breaker connects to the bus bars as possible. The statement put it at the bottom assumes the main breaker feeds into the bus bars at the top of the panel. Which is often true in most modern panels, but isn't always the case, especially in old panels. Then there are panels where the grid feed breaker goes in a slot like any other breaker and the convention is to put it in the top left slot. But nothing forces that to be the case. The trickiest case is where the grid breaker is in the very middle of the bus bars. Which is common on some older combined meter box / breaker panels.

If you're not taking advantage of the 120% rule, then you're free to put PV backfeed breaker anywhere you want.

The reason you put it as far from the grid breaker as possible with the 120% rule, is because statistically you're very unlikely to overload the bus bars with that arrangement. Because all the breakers between the two power in-feed points are nearly guaranteed to pull off at least 20% of the total power. So at no point on the bus bar are you likely to exceed the bus bar power rating even if both in-feed breakers are running at 100% of the breaker ratings.

Awesome thanks for the replies. Makes sense now. I am using the 120% rule. I need a 50A breaker, have a 100A main breaker and the bus bar max rating is 125A. So I will be putting the solar backfed breaker at the bottom of the bus bar (panel has power coming into the top).

It is at the top, power comes in at the top (A/B lugs on the diagram)
You don’t have a main breaker on the subpanel in that case.

What is the breaker size feeding this subpanel?

Sometimes AHJ or designer will put in a redundant main along the path back to the main panel, I don’t know how common it is; it was done in my system

diy solar

diy solar
Back