diy solar

diy solar

Bus bar location and size

I was pointed at these recently. Not cheap, but not as expensive as some others like Blue Sea. Factor in you do need to pay shipping, but for the rating, size, and price, even including shipping, I have not found better. OK others may be prettier but does that really matter? If my oops purchase of brass bus bars are no good I'll probably be buying them... Heck I might just buy them and throw the brass ones in the drawer for some not-so-important use later.

Steve_S uses Pike Industries bus bars, I think. If he endorses them, they must be good! Not sure what offerings they have.

Victron 600 amp bus bars come in black only, like Blue Sea. Both are quality. Victron comes with covers.
Cardude. Look at the weight difference between the Bluesea and Victron busbars compared to the Amazon unit that you purchased. Use the weights from the spec sheets for the BS and Victron units from their websites. Don’t go by what is printed on Amazon.

BS and Victron are 2.5 times heavier. All of the weight differences are in the tin plated bars.

Do the same with cables, fittings and batteries. The heavy ones are the winners.

FYI. I use either PolarWire (Alaska company) or CEAutoelectric (Arizona company) for cables and fittings. Both are excellent, with CEAutoelectric having the heaviest lugs and highest strand count cables.

The length of heavy cable that we use in our builds is pretty small. Why not go with the good stuff?

PS. Consider putting a piece of cement board on top of the plywood mounting surface for fire resistance.

Enjoy your build.

Cardude. Look at the weight difference between the Bluesea and Victron busbars compared to the Amazon unit that you purchased. Use the weights from the spec sheets for the BS and Victron units from their websites. Don’t go by what is printed on Amazon.

BS and Victron are 2.5 times heavier. All of the weight differences are in the tin plated bars.

Do the same with cables, fittings and batteries. The heavy ones are the winners.

FYI. I use either PolarWire (Alaska company) or CEAutoelectric (Arizona company) for cables and fittings. Both are excellent, with CEAutoelectric having the heaviest lugs and highest strand count cables.

The length of heavy cable that we use in our builds is pretty small. Why not go with the good stuff?

PS. Consider putting a piece of cement board on top of the plywood mounting surface for fire resistance.

Enjoy your build.
Lead is heavier than copper, just saying.

Back