diy solar

diy solar

Balance cable awg

Herculezz

Hello, I am trying to top balance my 16s envision 305ah battery pack, and was just wondering what awg cables should I be using to go from + to + and - to - with the short 6in or so cables?

I have plenty of bus bars but the cells are already all setup in my xr04 Enclosure and I would rather not disassemble the whole thing to top balance since they are in series formation, I would rather just remove the current bus bars and run cables so to not have to remove all the cells lol

Attachments

• 20240124_144940.jpg
    20240124_144940.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 8
Depends on the power supply you're using. I have a 10 amp power supply which needs at least 10 AWG to push the current.

I would use 10 AWG set with my power supply set at 10 amps. and 3.6 volts with all the cells in parallel. THat would be over 30 leads to cut and crimp.

To charge the full 305 AH, could take nearly two days until the voltage tapers off to nothing. If they partially charged prior to starting, could be as quick as an hour.

If the power supply is more amps, wire may need to be thicker.

They are pretty close in volts and I am currently charging then up in series as they are in the picture and as soon as a cell hits 3.6 I planned to taper the current on the 48v charger down until its low keeping the highest cell at or below 3.6, then was gonna disconnect the bus bars and connect the balance cables to allow the batteries to self balance in parallel for a few days, is 10 awg good enough for that? I actually have an abundance of 8awg so would prolly just make them out of that if it's good enough, if not I could double up the 8 awg on each cell.

You’re charging through the BMS to protect for over voltage when charging in series right?

How are you monitoring cells reaching 3.6v?

They are pretty close in volts and I am currently charging then up in series as they are in the picture and as soon as a cell hits 3.6 I planned to taper the current on the 48v charger down until its low keeping the highest cell at or below 3.6, then was gonna disconnect the bus bars and connect the balance cables to allow the batteries to self balance in parallel for a few days, is 10 awg good enough for that? I actually have an abundance of 8awg so would prolly just make them out of that if it's good enough, if not I could double up the 8 awg on each cell.
I actually can’t say if 8 or 10 AWG would be enough to cover the current surge of unbalanced cells.

I charged the battery in series like you are doing and then charged each cell individually to 3.65, the n after all voltage had settled, I connected in series.

Later, because of a bad connection which I fixed, I rebalanced my cells with the Overkill BMS by leaving always balance above 3.4 and charged the pack at 3.475 x 8 volts with no loads for 5 days and when I came back it’s balanced.

I also now believe matched cells will top balance with an active balancer if left alone for a few days.

Back