diy solar

diy solar

Baseline your setup

Substrate

Solar Addict
Just a suggestion: Baseline your setup, especially a diy setup with a handheld IR thermometer.

A rather spirited discussion about cleaning terminals for LFP diy batts reminded me of something else I do with DIY. BASELINE.

In another life, I was fond of totally hammering pure-lead batteries like Optimas, Odysseys and the like. Of course now its LifeP04.

In doing so, I do a baseline of terminal and connector temps with a cheap handheld IR thermometer with a laser pointer. Any home improvement store has them. I'm not so concerned about total temperature accuracy, but to spot large variations in temp as I point to them. Just putting your hand on things to judge is not accurate enough. In the case of hammered AGM's, I also poked around the cases too.

So after building my project, I baselined the temps and wrote them down. Of course I'm going to be in nearly the same ambient temp as when I first made those measurements.

Now, a year later, I go around again, and if I see something unusual, like one terminal is suddenly 5 degrees hotter than it was previously, I can investigate why before it becomes a problem later. Are the connectors loose? Is there oxidation and need cleaning?

I'm just saying - its cheap to do, and may allow you to correct a small issue before it becomes a big one.

Back