diy solar

diy solar

My 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 🚙 DIY Solar Project that sent me in search of this treasure trove of Solar Knowledge!

Masonic Traveler

Revamping My 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe
Salutations, Fellow DIY Solar Dudes and Dudettes,

I have grandiose plans to electrify my Ol' Beater with a Heater with roof-top solar panels and a 2.4kW battery bank. With your help, I might accomplish half of those plans.

Allow me to regale you with the curious saga of my beloved 2009 Santa Fe 🚙, a faithful companion whose treatment, if likened to a jilted lover's ire, might seem akin to catching it in an affair with my significant other. In the course of my professional endeavors, this stalwart vehicle endures an exhaustive monthly pilgrimage of approximately 2000 miles, suffering my lamentable neglect when it comes to routine maintenance. Please rest assured, the melodramatic comparison to a scorned lover stems from my woeful skills in vehicle upkeep rather than any actual misadventures.

The excessive mileage, a testament to my occupational chauffeuring, appears more glamorous in rumor than the truth—it's less about bootlegging homemade corn whiskey to clandestine Texas speakeasies (I jest, of course!). More about my vocation as a recreational therapist, working with adolescents within the comforting confines of their homes (though, is that my clandestine cover?).

Alas, my dear Santa Fe bears the scars of its adventures, worn and weathered from its journey alongside me. Hence, in my quest for redemption for these apparent transgressions, I am fervently inclined to transform this stalwart vehicle into an oasis of productivity—a Mobile Office/Camper Conversion, the ultimate amalgamation of utility and comfort. I hope to glean expertise, insight, advice, and inspiration from the excellent solar energy and off-grid enthusiasts of this DIY Solar Forum.

Let me delve into the intricate tapestry adorning my cherished 2009 Santa Fe. It's a tale woven with fervent aspiration and the pursuit of transforming this stalwart vehicle into an oasis of functionality. However, several pertinent issues necessitate attention before this grand endeavor.

Current Power System Set Up:
  1. WEIZE 12V 100AH 🔋Deep Cycle Gel Battery
  2. YONHAN Battery Charger 10-Amp 12V
  3. 2 - 12V Female Sockets to Battery Eyelet Ring Terminal
  4. 400W power inverter
  5. Powering
    1. CPAP with 12V adapter
    2. Laptop 💻off of the inverter
    3. iPhone 📱Charger
    4. Echo Show 5
    5. AT&T 📶Hotspot

I will use an incremental approach to implement
My Grandiose Car Solar Power System in the Pipeline:
  1. DIY Roof-top Cargo Box with Solar Panels:
    1. Start with a 100W panel fastened to the roof-top cargo rack
    2. upgrade as funds appear
    3. Constructing a cargo box with a recessed top for 100W solar panel installation using foam-core-sandwich fiberglass construction.
    4. When parked, two more 100W solar panels slide out from under the main panel
  1. Power Generator Setup:
    1. Creating a generator powered by solar panels, alternators, and shore power.
    2. At least 2kW of LiFePO4 Battery Bank
  1. Appliances to ultimately power:
    1. CPAP: I can't live without it
    2. Refrigerator and Ice Machine: For storing food and beverages.
    3. Pressurized Water System: Sink with faucet convertible to an outdoor shower, complemented by a tiny camp water heater
    4. DIY "Lunch Box" Mini PC:
      1. Function as a Gaming PC for client sessions.
      2. Function as a Creator PC with capabilities for streaming road trips, video editing
      3. Function as a Business PC - Scheduling, email, teleconference, and documentation
      4. Function as a Car PC for navigation, hands-free calling, infotainment, dashcam, dashboard, video capture, and on-board Diagnostics scanner
    5. Laptop
    6. Small Device Charging
    7. LED lighting
    8. Fan
    9. Communication and Connectivity
      1. Cell Data Signal Booster:
        1. Enhancing cell signal reception within the vehicle.
        2. In-car WIFI, AT&T Hotspot and Verizon Hotspot
      2. HAM Radio Installation:
        1. Installing a HAM radio (KD5FPA) for communication.
      3. CB Radio Installation: why the hell not?
      4. GPS:
      5. HDTV: Again, why the hell not?

Other Features

1. Awning
  2. SUV Tent
  3. Solar Hot Water Tank
  4. Pop-Up Shower Tent
  5. All Terrain Tires
  6. Removable Bed and Camping Setup:
    1. Insert for office and camping purposes.
    2. Long Slide-out Drawer Kitchen: Providing kitchen space for cooking
  7. Expandability Features: Front bumper winch, clothesline, reflective and blackout window covers, seatback organizers, car desk, laptop support, handheld vacuum cleaner, and hanging trash bag

Current Issues Address:
  1. Driver's Seat Modification:
    • I intend to install seat extenders to alleviate the discomfort caused by my massive belly rubbing against the steering wheel.
  1. Possible Coolant Leak in Air Conditioner:
    • Investigate a suspected coolant issue.
  1. Check Engine Light:
    • It is identifying potential airflow intake sensor problems causing intermittent illumination. It's probably an old gas cap.
  1. Front License Plate Mount and TPMS Issues:
    • Addressing the missing license plate mount and sporadic TPMS alerts.

This comprehensive vision of the perfect old Hyundai aims to transcend the ordinary, molding my Santa Fe into an adaptable haven for work and leisure. Your insights and camaraderie on this journey are greatly appreciated.

This may be one of the best 1st posts I've read. Nicely done and welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest starting with a power audit to determine how much power you think you will need then double it at a minimum.

I'd also start looking at a tier 1 inverter if your life depends on it. You could check out Current Connected, Arizona Wind and Sun, AltE, DonRowe (spelling?) , or any other well respected vendors known around here.

As far as panels, if your roof size will allow panels larger than 100w utilize it.
The slide out idea is good but I think you'd be better off making them detachable to mount on the ground, aimed for optimal photon harvesting.

Back