diy solar

diy solar

Basics about transfer switch and breaker panel

kdomm

Hi all, Hoping someone can confirm something for me. In the attached image you can see a 50 amp transfer switch I'd like to install on the left and the primary breaker panel to the right.

The transfer switch includes six 15amp breakers. However, the cover panel says that each is a max of 20amp. You can see in my primary breaker panel that I have more 20amp breakers than 15amp. Is it going to be a problem connect the 15amp breaker in my Transfer switch to a 20amp breaker in my primary panel? It seems like I should be able to do that, but I'd like some certainty. Not to muddy the waters, but why would that write 15 on the breaker itself, but then indicate max is 20. Is that common?

Also, the transfer switch comes with a bi-pole 20amp and 30amp breaker. It looks like I can remove the brass rod and use them individually, but the breakers themselves still operate in tandem. Any thoughts on how I can use them?

Thank you very much for any thoughts you might have.

transfer_switch.png

If you read the label from the Pro/Tran it discusses the use of which amperage breakers it can use from the Main (load center) panel. The supplied breakers in your "transfer panel" at 15 amps are OK but you have to understand that your circuit is limited by that rating.

If you separate the ganged transfer switches, so that you now have 2 single transfer switches, you need to change out your circuit breaker or remove the bar on the 240v ganged breaker. Be careful about the load wires that they are sized properly for your loads.

Not to muddy the waters, but why would that write 15 on the breaker itself, but then indicate max is 20. Is that common?
Breakers can be replaced, I'd say they are noting not to install a breaker larger than 20 amps in those locations.

I'll bet that the answer is in the manual.

If you read the label from the Pro/Tran it discusses the use of which amperage breakers it can use from the Main (load center) panel. The supplied breakers in your "transfer panel" at 15 amps are OK but you have to understand that your circuit is limited by that rating.

If you separate the ganged transfer switches, so that you now have 2 single transfer switches, you need to change out your circuit breaker or remove the bar on the 240v ganged breaker. Be careful about the load wires that they are sized properly for your loads.
Its seems like the best bet is to just replace any 15amp breakers in the transfer switch with 20amp ones if I want to connect it to a 20amp breaker in the main panel.

Breakers can be replaced, I'd say they are noting not to install a breaker larger than 20 amps in those locations.

I'll bet that the answer is in the manual.
Thank you @400bird. It was literally just dawning on me that that was what they were saying.

and strangely, no manual included.

@Mattb4 I'm sorry if I seem like a pest. I am hoping for more confirmation from you. I'm slow to understand grounding. The transfer switch came with the ground clamped via green screw to the box. I have added a 50amp receptacle (see pic). Should the green wire from the receptacle be done the same way? I could have sworn I've seen other set ups where they are just wired together via a wire-nut. in the pic I just connected the ground from the receptacle to the box. If it matters, an eg4 6000xp will be what is plugged into this receptacle. Thanks again for your time and help!

transfer_switch_with_receptacle.png

The transfer box needs to be grounded to your system ground. Since it seems you are using your AIO like you would use a generator you must get your NG bond from your Main panel. I am not conversant with the NG that the EG4-6000XP has when working as inverter. Should be covered in the manual.

Back