diy solar

diy solar

Product recommendation: manual transfer switch

bcfromfl

I searched the board, but couldn't find a match to my question.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of adding the new Ecoflow Delta Pro Ultra as a backup system to our home for power outages. It has a lot of useful features, and is expandable. Our home is wired with a main panel on the outside, which sends power to 220/240 appliances (a/c furnace, water heater, dryer), and splits off sending a line into our garage to a subpanel for all the other circuits in the house. (At this time I don't know what the service rating is for this subpanel.) What I would like to do is break that line going to the subpanel with a single-circuit manual transfer switch, with a plug for the Ecoflow.

The subpanel already has all the circuits I'd like to have live in an emergency situation. I don't want to power any of the major appliances. The subpanel sends power to things like our refrigerator/freezer, chest freezer, microwave (we wouldn't use the stove in a power outage), wall plates in all the rooms, lift station for our septic, and the water pump for our well. I've tried to get electricians out here to tell me what kind of pump I have, but have been unsuccessful. It has a tied 2 x 20-amp circuit. I've had "guesses" both here on this message board and on the phone to contractors that it's probably a 220/240 pump (with a lower amp rating) rather than a high-amp 110 pump. I mention this because it is possible that this subpanel both serves 110v and 220v. Anecdotally, I've seen videos where it is mentioned that the Delta Pro Ultra handles well pumps easily.

Ecoflow does make a companion automatic transfer switch, but I don't want or need this.

The only manual transfer switches I seem to be able to find are those with subpanels of their own. I don't want to create a whole new subpanel with a series of its own breaker switches. That seems redundant to me, and adds unnecessary complexity and additional connections possibly prone to failure over time. I just want a master switch (100 amp?) for either line power or emergency generator power, with a plug for the Ecoflow. Is there such a thing, or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks!

both 100a and 200a manual transfer switches are avbl, even from home depot
100a is $219 and 200a is $544, both made by GE
just install the transfer switch between the main panel and the subpanel and add a generator inlet box to the transfer switch
what size breaker is in the main panel going to the sub panel ?

Thanks, Texican. The sizes of the main and the subpanel are going to require some research, and perhaps I'm going to have to rely on a quote from an electrician for his expertise. My question is mainly if such a switch exists, as I wasn't able to find one using different keywords, so I could ascertain if my idea was even doable.

I just looked at the transfer switches you mentioned at Home Depot, and they just look like on/off switches. This is why I am having so much difficulty researching, because you have to "know" what you're looking at...the product pages don't really tell you.

Thanks for your help! It looks like there will be something suitable for an electrician to install as per my idea.

Thanks, Texican. The sizes of the main and the subpanel are going to require some research, and perhaps I'm going to have to rely on a quote from an electrician for his expertise. My question is mainly if such a switch exists, as I wasn't able to find one using different keywords, so I could ascertain if my idea was even doable.

I just looked at the transfer switches you mentioned at Home Depot, and they just look like on/off switches. This is why I am having so much difficulty researching, because you have to "know" what you're looking at...the product pages don't really tell you.

Thanks for your help! It looks like there will be something suitable for an electrician to install as per my idea.
these are "double throw" transfer switches with 3 positions. Utility-OFF-generator
not to be confused with a disconnect switch which has 2 positions On-Off

you need a double throw, 3 position switch for what you want to do

I just looked at the transfer switches you mentioned at Home Depot, and they just look like on/off switches.
Just in case you are not finding the switch @Texican is taking about, see link below - I believe that is what he is referring to.

there is a cheaper way that many people use for backup power
you can install a generator interlock in your main panel and a generator inlet box

the way it works, is that when power is out, you turn on the breaker connected to the generator interlock switch the mechanisim (interlock) then forces the main breaker off, protecting lineman
you must manually turn off all the heavy loads in the main panel so as not to overload the generator capacity
you would need to know exactly what type main panel you have to get the right kit, also would probably have to relocate a couple breakers to put the interlock in correct position

search this on amazon to see a sample kit

NSD200A Square D Generator Interlock kit QO and Homeline​

Thanks again, Texican and MagicDiver. I see now that it's a three-position throw on the lever. I looked into the interlock devices, but I could only just find the "plate" with nothing else. I was hoping to find a simple switch that would accomplish everything I needed to do, with a built-in receptacle if possible.

Thanks again, Texican and MagicDiver. I see now that it's a three-position throw on the lever. I looked into the interlock devices, but I could only just find the "plate" with nothing else. I was hoping to find a simple switch that would accomplish everything I needed to do, with a built-in receptacle if possible.
Based on your first post interlock plate on the main panel seems perfect.

IE grid power OR emergency power from a new inlet receptacle

And it’s just a plate, you add one backfeed breaker to appropriate location relative to main breaker. Then install plate on top of it

Maybe Google for a YouTube video to understand what the plate does. It does something really simple when it moves.

Just in case you are not finding the switch @Texican is taking about, see link below - I believe that is what he is referring to.

I am using that one and so far no problems.

Back