diy solar

diy solar

Batrium Watchmon Core and K9

Nobodybusiness

Collecting the leftovers of the Great Sky Reactor.
Is Anyone running the Batrium K9 with the core supervisor?

As many of you know I have 11 DIY 280ah batteries.
Since they have been done piecemeal over about 2 years they have Daly, Overkill/JDB BMS.
I also have Heltek 5amp capacitive balancers.

I have been look at replacing them all with a Watchmon Core and K9s so I can have one screen to view all.
I looked at a Core and 11 K9s plus’s 1000 amp shunt and possibly expansion boards.

Anyone use them? What are your experiences with it?

Limitations? Drawbacks? Bugs?

I am using the Batrium Core w/blockmon’s. Been using it for almost a year (Full- time RV). It has worked well for me.

I would recommend having a computer (windows) hook up to it- I don’t- when I want to see what’s going on I move my laptop and plug in a usb cord. (It is in a metal box - so the WiFi doesn’t work reliably for me- doubt that will be your problem).

I like it because the software is easy to understand and the logic and layout make sense to me.

Is Anyone running the Batrium K9 with the core supervisor?

As many of you know I have 11 DIY 280ah batteries.
Since they have been done piecemeal over about 2 years they have Daly, Overkill/JDB BMS.
I also have Heltek 5amp capacitive balancers.

I have been look at replacing them all with a Watchmon Core and K9s so I can have one screen to view all.
I looked at a Core and 11 K9s plus’s 1000 amp shunt and possibly expansion boards.

Anyone use them? What are your experiences with it?

Limitations? Drawbacks? Bugs?
You will want some type of shunt trip relay or breaker to cut power from all your batteries. Most use a used ABB shunt trip breaker. This will also require some type of voltage reducing transformer if your system is other than 24V. I did start a thread a year ago as I was planning my system. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/batrium-watchman-core-cellmate-k9-feedback.31640/

I'm in process of setting this up for my one bank and am using a MX14FC / 350A, 48Vdc coil relay from Gigavac.com. I'm hoping to never have to use it :) Also purchased Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm fan and 30mm standoffs to place over the heatsink of the K9 which is supposed to drastically help cool it off at least initially if you cells need any balancing.

I'm in process of setting this up for my one bank and am using a MX14FC / 350A, 48Vdc coil relay from Gigavac.com. I'm hoping to never have to use it :) Also purchased Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm fan and 30mm standoffs to place over the heatsink of the K9 which is supposed to drastically help cool it off at least initially if you cells need any balancing.
How are you going to hook up the coil relay?

The Batrium is designed to communicate with your inverters and charge controllers. There are three primary states of control - charging, discharging, and critical. I use the charging state to enable/disable my charge controllers, the discharge state to enable/disable my inverter, and the critical state for... critical things that require a complete shutdown. I do this with an ABB breaker that has a coil trip and requires manual intervention to reset (after determining the failure condition that triggered it).

You can also use contactors or relays if you wish, provided they are appropriately rated. Unfortunately, they don't have any confirmed-working integration with the LV6548 yet. I have provided this suggestion to them and am hoping to have an opportunity to help with some testing/feedback in the near future.

If you have comms with your inverter, the Batrium should allow a 4th state "limited"
I believe this is for situations like low or high temps/cell voltage. Where you're on the edge, but not quite to the point of opening the breaker.

Also, I don't use a DCDC for the shunt trip. Just connect to a cell that puts you at about 24 v from B-

The Batrium is designed to communicate with your inverters and charge controllers. There are three primary states of control - charging, discharging, and critical. I use the charging state to enable/disable my charge controllers, the discharge state to enable/disable my inverter, and the critical state for... critical things that require a complete shutdown. I do this with an ABB breaker that has a coil trip and requires manual intervention to reset (after determining the failure condition that triggered it).
You can also use contactors or relays if you wish, provided they are appropriately rated. Unfortunately, they don't have any confirmed-working integration with the LV6548 yet. I have provided this suggestion to them and am hoping to have an opportunity to help with some testing/feedback in the near future.
I use Sol-Ark 12kw AIO so not sure if they communicate or not??

I was mainly using it so I can see all the cells in all 11 batteries (176 cells)

I’m going to have to do some
More research on the breaker/ contactor thing.

I assume it uses expansion boards and some
Logic to disconnect if Overcharged or Undervoltage?

Back