diy solar

diy solar

Batteries available for canada

bought the EVE LF280K Lifepo4 cells, 16 x 3.2v cells supposedly stocked in canada.
Final price ends up being a little higher than quoted because purchase goes through Alibaba. (fees for currency conversion, and trade protection)
Shipping took a few days extra to start, maybe they really slip it accross border, I don't know, but was still reasonably fast, better than the normal from US or china type delays.
I am happy with all the details, was packed well. Was the cheapest and fastest option I could find.

I had just bought a 48v forklift with lead acid cells dead. So I pulled out each lead acid cell, then stuck in the lifepo4 cells. Cell balance board off amazon rather than full bms for now. (not sure what my max load will be, don't want to fry a bms if I exceed what it can handle) balance board is good enough for now as only use forlift for fraction of full battery capacity before it goes on charger again.

it would take 58v to fully charge them. I instead opted for 4amp scooter charger, 54v so they get almost full but last much longer.

I've bought a MPPT solar charger but not setup yet, will also adjust its max voltage to be 54 volt or less. It has to be hooked to batteries before solar panels, and forklift occasionally moves around doing forklift work, so have to get the setup right, with it living with the forklift with good vibration protection.

Planning on also adding an all in one hybrid solar charge controller/inverter combo, where I can tune the min and max voltages for battery, so it never is completely full or empty just like they do on electric cars.

My opinion, if you can handle the technical stuff, probably better to buy cells rather than pre made batteries, because that way you know exactly what you are getting and can do better quality. Pre made ones sometimes skimp or even dishonest on the cells or bms.

BMS... if you use more power than the BMS can handle for a few secs it can get hot and start wearing out. I had 24V electric lawnmower with lead acid batteries. Replaced them with Ecoworthy 30 AH off amazon, that were same size, would fit in lawnmower. One of the bms died after using for a while, so I ordered some more powerful BMS, still have to finish soldering them in to replace the wimpier ones.

So far every premade 12v or 24v battery pack that I've bought and taken apart to look used inferior stuff to what I would buy and do myself. What they call in china "LTO battery" (titanium oxide, best cycling performance cells), are really the cheap 3.6V cells, 150 ah is really 125 ah, etc. Alibaba, DHGate you have protection in that seller doesn't get your money till you got correct goods (you should make sure correct), but its a bit of a gong show... you'll say it is fraud/not as good as supposed to be, seller will say accept it or ship it back, but will end up being no way to ship it back because shipping lithium cells "dangerous goods" is often gong show in canada, so he finally gives in and reduces price.

Ideal larger system is 48v, because reduces cost of MPPT controllers (half the amps to charge 48v rather than 24v), if you go for premade 12V batteries in series to get to 48v you can get 12v balance board that balances the 4 x 12v batteries off amazon. If you charge to less that 100% and actively balance cells all the time (rather than just when individul cell hits 100% charge) and don't discharge all the way empty your battery pack will likely last 2x+ longer. (GM with chevy volt and then all the other car manufacturers do this)

[I see most commonly bms balanced when an individual cell hits 100%, which means the weakest cell will be at 100% when charged, and likely stay at 100% much of time, which drastically shortens its life and when that one weakest cell dies, people tend to throw away the whole battery pack]

Last edited:
You can also drive across the border if you are near or have it shipped to a border town, but you need to take out of the packing to avoid any duties. Royal Canadian Customs like to sniff around and ask a bunch of questions. "So you always had these batteries ehh?" ...
I live in NORTHERN ontario like 13 hours away from the border ??

If you do a search of the forums there have been recent discussions, info and a few suggested links. Bottom line, there are few affordable options or veryl little variety and some options are just expensive.

I bought 2 from China via Alibaba but hated the experience, the BS, stress and delays.

I recently bought B grade cells and a JK BMS from 18650batterystore.com for a DIY battery and other than no manuals and very little tech info, the process and shipment to Canada was easy and fast and prices were quite good on sale, or even regular prices compared to China.

In your search here, there is a past thread with a link to a builder in Grande Prairie, AB, who puts together DIYs and or into an optional Seplos or SOK? metal case and sells via Kijiji. Very little choice but his builds look very good and you would not have to buy many tools vs a DIY build. Shipping would likely be a lot less than from the USA too.

Knowing what I know now, buying from China in a metal case and doing a DIY, I would probably buy from him, for good cells, personal service, build quality, cells matched and top balanced and no tools or accessories to hunt for, buy and probably not use again. Plus no learning curve drama and build stress. His prices are quite good too and maybe less than DIY unless you want and will use the tools and accessories, power supply and or higher amp charger discharger for top balancing and capacity testing.

Or CurrentConnected.com for server rack batteries from the USA, as the service is supposed to be very good and he wants our business. Not sure about shipping options though.
Wow thanks i will look into this right away!

I ordered a 100ah 48v server rack battery from solarpowerstore.ca. Their own brand(probably just something bought from china with their sticker on it I'd guess). The experience was less than ideal. The battery could only get about 94ah with small loads. This thing cost $2800 after tax and shipping and couldn't deliver 100ah. When it came new, it says SOC: 100ah, but it never achieved that.

I went through months of back and forth with them and finally exchanged it for an SOK. I had to pay the difference in cost but they did cover return shipping for the other one and didn't charge additional shipping for the SOK.

Their customer service is very slow and unresponsive, but they were good with the warranty.

The SOK gives me 104.6ah consistently so far.
It is branded with current connected on it, so I'm wondering if they just buy from there and resell to us.
If you buy it from solar power store, you are paying +$500 CAD before shipping and taxes but I'm not sure of the shipping cost from current connected to here(Ontario).
You'd probably be better off buying from current connected if you are buying several batteries at once.
Thanks i was in contact with them for a server rack! Good to know

FWIW, Customs Broker asked me what the LiFePO4 cells were being used for, business or personal home use. I told the truth of personal home use. No duties were charged for LiFePO4 cells imported from the USA nor when importing a complete battery from China 18 months earlier.

Perhaps Tariffs are charged for a commercial purpose or business use? I have yet to read of a buyer being charged a tariff, so people are not saying or it's not charged for that use? I doubt that it is charged based on a whim of a customs officer vs poorly completed documents, misinformation, misunderstanding, customer cheating or lying, etc..

One good reason to use a broker may be for paperwork to be done correctly. My USA import was extremely fast, in the middle of the night and did not seem to cause any shipping delay if being delayed in customs and because I immediately provided the accurate information requested by the broker.

Doing it myself was not an option and the broker fee and service was worth every penny. Kind of like using the proper tool that has a higher cost than a cheap or cobbled together one that costs one much more in expenses, time, money, errors, redos and stress.

I'd rather pay the broker and not have to leave my large rural peaceful wilderness off grid acreage, hundreds of miles from the border and the hell, prices and congestion of that over populated region of Canada and save your so called "egrigious" broker fees. To me, your options cost so much more in other ways, even if the evil customs officer was pissed off that day to charge the horrid but seemingly mythical 7% tariff.
I’m Canadian. i live an hour from the border, and have a parcel service US shipping address.

we frequently travel to the Us for mini weekend get aways and I bring back tons of stuff into Canada that I have shipped to my US address.

I feel I’m fairly unofficially qualified to offer an opinion with the following disclaimer (not sure what word to use?):

personal import only, not business
theres the way things work, and the way things REALLY work

any items imported for personal use are subject to duty, provincial sales tax, and GST.

anything produced in North America there is zero duty, but the other 2 taxes apply.

canadians,are allowed an 800 dollar exemption per person if you’re in the us more than 48 hours.

the exemption cannot be combined (I.e I buy an SOK rack battery only I can claim the 800 exemption, and pay applicable taxes on the balance).

customs has a “number” in which they just apply a general duty/tax/gst on your purchase rather than going through all your receipts to make the sure proper taxes are paid. (Clothing has a huge tarriff something like 18% or so)

this is because they also have to enforce security as well as collect taxes. they don’t tell you what the number is.

that’s the way things work. But they way things really work is this (using a personal example):

I purchased an sok from current connected and they shipped to the border. We went for 48 hours and I imported the battdry (auto correct sorry) there’s a 7% duty on lithium iron phosphate batteries.

I should have paid 7% duty on my taxable amount as well as tax and gst.

customs allowed my wife and I to combine our 800 limit so we paid taxes and gst on the difference of 3200 (just for easy math) minus 1600.

we were not charged duty on our battery. I don’t know if it was because our amount was within “the number” or our customs officer just waived us through?

sometimes we go for a day trip and we are waived through and not chattered taxes.

occasionally we are brought in, and all our receipts are calculated and after 35 minutes or so we are charged like 52 bucks. Lol.

A neighbour just ordered two of these from Cabin Depot.

Kedron 24V 300Ah (7680Wh) - with heater. $3500Cdn

I have a lot more confidence in buying from an established company like CD than many other places, and the price is excellent.
Free shipping in Canada

So Ruixu is just a branded TOPBAND RS-R reference design...
Looks like the SolarPowerStore house brand of Maple Leaf Power Systems is also selling the RS-R in Canada soon called the Beaver.

Same as the Ruixu and also looks like they will have a heater version later on..

So Ruixu is just a branded TOPBAND RS-R reference design...
Looks like the SolarPowerStore house brand of Maple Leaf Power Systems is also selling the RS-R in Canada soon called the Beaver.

Same as the Ruixu and also looks like they will have a heater version later on..

Saw that today also! Im just hoping they will be selling a rack similar to Ruixu

Back