diy solar

diy solar

Buying from Signature Solar for Canadians

e91kiter

Just wanted to share my experience and what someone can expect when purchasing from Signature Solar as a Canadian and having it shipped across the border to Canada, in my case Ontario.

I purchased the EG4 6000xp on Black Friday for $1399 USD, shipping was quoted at $68.48, and with the 5% Black Friday discount of -$69.95 it pretty much covered the shipping, the total was $1397.53. The order was shipped about a month later when the unit was back in stock via FedEx and arrived within a couple of days. I asked Signature Solar to make sure to note down the HS code 8504.40.9032 on the invoice (which they did), that HS code is for inverters and does not carry any duties. I was fully expecting to pay taxes at a minimum on the unit when it crossed the border but I did not receive any notice of Duties and taxes at the time of delivery, but eventually the invoice arrived in the mail a month later. I know that DHL and UPS won't deliver unless you pay the Duties and Taxes first so this was kind of odd as I thought I got away without paying any taxes.

So there were no duties on the inverter but there was the GST tax which was only 5% and some other fees that are listed below. The GST was calculated on the cost of the inverter without the discount $1399 USD which I wish they noted the 5% discount as it would have saved me a few bucks. After applying the exchange rate (1.32579) this translated to $1854.79 CAD.

Fedex Invoice of $198.28 CAD is broken down as follows;
GST_________________________________________$92.74
Dispersment Fee __________________________ $11.40
HST on Disb/Ancillary Service Fee ________$12.14
Clearance Entry Fee________________________ $82.00
================================
______________________________________________$198.28

So my total out-of-pocket amount if using the exchange rate FedEx used was $2051.11 CAD which is pretty good as the equivalent Luxpower LXP6K is selling for $2100 and with tax in Ontario would have cost me $2373 CAD. I guess you could have saved a bit of money by doing your own clearance or going across the border to pick up at a local mailbox but that has the cost of time.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back