diy solar

diy solar

Did I Make a Mistake Buying This From Signature Solar?

Onehand

New guy here. Electronics background, first foray into REAL solar systems.

I am only going to use one inverter and 8000 watts of PV input to start with, 4000 per input on the inverter. The battery rack will have 6 batteries, I ordered 2 extra, 30.72kWh..

After purchasing, I discovered this forum and have been reading about nightmares with signature solar support issues and this inverter having all sorts of problems. Now I am familiar with Chinese stuff and know that you can get bad stuff on occasion but for the most part, the quality is "ok" and it seems many people run these 6.5 inverters/charge controller units successfully with no issues. This leads me to believe that people with issues may have made mistakes in connecting it, programming or startup/shutdown procedures.

This will only be a 120 VAC backup system, used intermittently, however I would like for it to be reliable if and when we need it.

Is there anything good to be said about sig solar and these units as of late? Should I regret my decision?

Thank You.

New guy here. Electronics background, first foray into REAL solar systems.

I am only going to use one inverter and 8000 watts of PV input to start with, 4000 per input on the inverter. The battery rack will have 6 batteries, I ordered 2 extra, 30.72kWh..

After purchasing, I discovered this forum and have been reading about nightmares with signature solar support issues and this inverter having all sorts of problems. Now I am familiar with Chinese stuff and know that you can get bad stuff on occasion but for the most part, the quality is "ok" and it seems many people run these 6.5 inverters/charge controller units successfully with no issues. This leads me to believe that people with issues may have made mistakes in connecting it, programming or startup/shutdown procedures.

This will only be a 120 VAC backup system, used intermittently, however I would like for it to be reliable if and when we need it.

Is there anything good to be said about sig solar and these units as of late? Should I regret my decision?

Thank You.
I'm running three 6000's......I love my system, except when it has a random shut down and restart. Usually this happens about a month apart. I can live with this for the price I got into the system with. I still have light flicker under high PV input but I can live with that also. I only hope that they will last at least as long as the warranty period. Maybe by that time something better and along the same price range will be offered. I think kthat since you are only running one inverter you may have less problems. The communications between the units may be one of the biggest problems which you will be avoiding. My two cents.

That seems like hell of overkill for just a backup system, maybe one of those smaller all-in-one semi portable units would have been a better choice.
Or go all out with a bigger better system and get the eg418k PV plus matching batteries and really go for it.

No, Signature Solar is not Amazon, they do not have easy free returns, their support can be slow to respond by some channels, and some people have fallen into warranty disputes with them.

But, more or less they are an honest business with real presence who will probably be around for at least 5 years, and has real people in house in the US to provide you after sale support. (Yes, with exception that they have a history of letting lone technicians run away with seemingly unfair conclusions - i.e. solar assistant drama)

If you made any mistake it was buying a kit without more carefully considering your needs and creating your own custom design, not the fact that you ordered it from SS.

There are a handful of folks that crap on every Signature Solar thread that should be here soon.
I guess we should start attaching links to the 3500 threads of their products or their support crapping out in the future.

OP, that’s a lot of money to spend on a package that includes known faulty equipment and a vendor that will probably take a month to follow up on any inquiry.

Come on people. Welcome members, don't mock them.
Buy now, figure out if what you bought meets your needs/is a worthy purchase.

Instant gratification of online shopping is great these days!!!!

Just forget I asked, should have known, know it alls...
I don’t think people are trying to be know it alls.
It’s just challenging to give an honest opinion after the purchase was already made.
My initial reply sure I came out hot against SS. But that’s because I value my money.
As an upside in my view the only thing trash about that package is the inverters themselves, which is also the cheapest part of the package.

So let’s say you get it up and running and it works for a while and then craps out.
There’s nothing to say you can’t keep everything and simply replace the inverters with a more robust option.
Overall spend isn’t horrendous as you’ve still got 11kw in panels and 20kwh in batteries which would cost over 10k by itself elsewhere.

Not everyone is that bad. Just ignore them.
I have EG4 6000s that I use for a weekend property.
I have had no problems with them yet.
I had one broken solar panel in a 36 panel pallet, but SS made it right promptly.
Your system should MORE than keep up with your needs for quite a while.
There are some knowledgeable people here that can help you with whatever problems may pop up.

It seems to me a $15k system is equivalent to spending $120/month for a long time.
Maybe you can set it up to carry household loads daily, transferring to grid as required.
It should be able to make a considerably greater than $120 dent in your utility bill.

About 46 kWh/day, 1400 kWh/month on average?
$350/month if you pay $0.25/kWh?
Could approach break even in 4 years or so, depending on utility rates.

You'll spend some money on mounting hardware, but if you scrounge and fabricate, maybe not too much.
Look on eBay for mounting rails, Unirac or others. Those can go on rooftop clips/standoffs or ground mounts made of pipe.
(different rail heights for different spans.)

I would say it's 50/50.

Some people swear by their units and the support they've received, others have random issues and poor support.

Some of the hardware issues could be due to poor installation/lack of knowledge, but not all of them.

Therefore, install all equipment, even if that means testing one inverter, then swapping in the other.
Operate and cycle for a while to wring out infant mortality so you can get a warranty replacement.

You're one step ahead - other people placed a credit card deposit to get a replacement before return and evaluation of faulty unit. You did that up front.

Welcome to the forum.
It should be a solid kit.
I ran a TP6048 (eg4 6k cousin) for nearly a year with minimal issues.
In the spirit of DIY I'd say you could have overpaid vs piecing something together but you have it now. Use it and enjoy it.
Ask questions and you'll get great support here.

Thanks to those who gave insightful and constructive replies. Just for everyone's edification, I did do a load calc on what I am likely to be using, I have no need at the present for a split phase system. I did shop around at a few different suppliers and when everything was priced out individually, this package came out to be $286 less than everyone else's individual prices, at the time, SS's as well. Add in free shipping, probably around $400, or more... If my math is correct...

In my business, I deal with support on a continual basis, so I know how it goes. At least these people speak fluent English. I am also not a "slap in up, half ass, got to get it done asap" kind of technician, as I suspect some who have issues here, with anything, are.

The system has been designed for specific needs, with expansion capabilities. The panel mount will hold 36 panels total if I decide to use the second inverter for a large 120VAC system. I will tig weld the panel mount out of aluminum that I have in the machine shop stock room.

I have been electronically restoring vintage tube audio equipment and ham radio tube equipment for 50 years, so I know a thing or two about high DC voltages that will kill you before you hit the ground. This is why my name is "one hand" always having the other in your pocket is good advice.

In time, perhaps this place will be of some value. We shall see.

Thank You.

At this point, you have already made the purchase.
Hook it up and see if it works for you. (Some have had issues, some have not)
If you have any issues. We will do our best to help you get through them.
Good luck on your journey and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to forum!

Personally, I've been "ahead of the curve" too in the sense of sourcing parts before a comprehensive plan.
Something about "the component that is here today, is ready to go".

As others have suggested, perhaps try to set it up and report any issues that come up.

Many people will be interested in understanding and ameliorating such issues.

Good luck with the build.

That's a helluva system for a "backup" system. Put that bitch in service and beat the hell out of it. Pretend you're a loan shark and that system owes you money!!

My experience with Sig Solar has been mostly positive. I'm not sure who you are gonna find that's better. Personally, I'm happy they are around.

Jesse.

In time, maybe you will add some value.

Less attitude would go a long way to helping you feel welcome.

And welcome!

Thanks to those who gave insightful and constructive replies. Just for everyone's edification, I did do a load calc on what I am likely to be using, I have no need at the present for a split phase system. I did shop around at a few different suppliers and when everything was priced out individually, this package came out to be $286 less than everyone else's individual prices, at the time, SS's as well. Add in free shipping, probably around $400, or more... If my math is correct...

In my business, I deal with support on a continual basis, so I know how it goes. At least these people speak fluent English. I am also not a "slap in up, half ass, got to get it done asap" kind of technician, as I suspect some who have issues here, with anything, are.

The system has been designed for specific needs, with expansion capabilities. The panel mount will hold 36 panels total if I decide to use the second inverter for a large 120VAC system. I will tig weld the panel mount out of aluminum that I have in the machine shop stock room.

I have been electronically restoring vintage tube audio equipment and ham radio tube equipment for 50 years, so I know a thing or two about high DC voltages that will kill you before you hit the ground. This is why my name is "one hand" always having the other in your pocket is good advice.

In time, perhaps this place will be of some value. We shall see.

Thank You.
And if you are only using one inverter....you have a spare for when the excrement hits the oscillator.....

Back