diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar - Pallet of Panels - Shipper Issue

murmeister

Just a quick word of caution when buying numerous solar panels.

I placed a large order from Signature Solar which included 32 solar panels. All the panels were shipped on a single pallet. Each panel weighs about 60 pounds meaning the pallet weighed over 1900 pounds - almost a ton! The pallet was also irregular sized since the solar panels are about 7 feet long and needed the bottom support. This thing was LARGE and HEAVY.

FedEx came to deliver it with lift-gate service but the driver was unable to move the pallet with the pallet jack that was on his truck. He had been working around this monster all day before my stop. Fortunately, I was able to use my tractor to maneuver the pallet onto the lift gate, rotate it enough to grab it from the side, then somehow coax my medium sized tractor to move this giant sized load. It took some time...

... for which FedEx charged me extra! About two weeks later, I received an invoice from FedEx for the extra time it took for delivery at my stop.

In hindsight, I would ask SS to pack panels on multiple pallets to allow easier movement and delivery. If that can't be done, then I would tell the driver to come back when he had the proper equipment to provide the curbside delivery that was expected.

As a comparison, my 3 PowerPro batteries were later shipped via R&L shipping and their equipment was able to unload the single panel right in my driveway without any problems. Maybe I should request them for future heavy deliveries.

When you order, don't forget to include the delivery process in your project plans!

I am surprised Fedex would end up billing you. The shipper is the customer paying for the shipment and responsible for it. Seems like an uncommon mixup and I would expect Signature to sort this out and pay the charges.

I recently bought a pallet of panels delivered by FedEx freight and went through the same unloading challenge. I was able to coax it on to the lift gate with the driver’s hand lift and my tractor FEL. A scary process at best. To properly unload those pallets you’ll need extra long pallet forks from 5-6 feet in length and a 2000++ lb forklift or loader. Once unloaded I asked the driver if he wanted to wait for me to inspect them or for me to sign the slip subject to inspection? He was nice and helped me unpack and inspect the panels of which none were damaged.

We give him a restaurant gift card and some home baked cookies for helping! I hope I don’t get a bill after all that!

I agree with Q-Dog. Even if they were using a Harbor Freight pallet jack, it should easily have picked up a ton of weight.

That should lift it and move on flat, but any slope of street or driveway, and the driver is trying to pull a ton uphill. Or hold it back from diving off the deck and on top of him.
Then there is the lift gate, which has a bit of slope. And lift gates tend to be short, may have to maneuver to sideways.

I think 2000# is too much for manual pallet jack on a slope. Motorized pallet jack could help, but would want room to maneuver.

This load should have been offloaded with a forklift.
Better if the shipper breaks down to lighter pallets. Can edgewise panels on pallet be stacked? (for the long-haul portion of the delivery.)
Panels could be stood up on end for smaller footprint, so 2 pallets no more floor area than one.

I collect at freight terminal, which saves money and avoids having to wait. It was later in life that I finally bought a pickup. Pickup or van costs extra registration, taxed for weight capacity (1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton each costs more.) If you bought an SUV and sawed off the rear shell that might evade the tax. But pickup is very useful for large things. Plus rack front and rear to carry 20' pipe or rails. Utility company auctions are the way to go - they dispose of vehicles when depreciated, due to how their allowed regulated profits are calculated.

Just a quick word of caution when buying numerous solar panels.

I placed a large order from Signature Solar which included 32 solar panels. All the panels were shipped on a single pallet. Each panel weighs about 60 pounds meaning the pallet weighed over 1900 pounds - almost a ton! The pallet was also irregular sized since the solar panels are about 7 feet long and needed the bottom support. This thing was LARGE and HEAVY.

FedEx came to deliver it with lift-gate service but the driver was unable to move the pallet with the pallet jack that was on his truck. He had been working around this monster all day before my stop. Fortunately, I was able to use my tractor to maneuver the pallet onto the lift gate, rotate it enough to grab it from the side, then somehow coax my medium sized tractor to move this giant sized load. It took some time...

... for which FedEx charged me extra! About two weeks later, I received an invoice from FedEx for the extra time it took for delivery at my stop.

In hindsight, I would ask SS to pack panels on multiple pallets to allow easier movement and delivery. If that can't be done, then I would tell the driver to come back when he had the proper equipment to provide the curbside delivery that was expected.

As a comparison, my 3 PowerPro batteries were later shipped via R&L shipping and their equipment was able to unload the single panel right in my driveway without any problems. Maybe I should request them for future heavy deliveries.

When you order, don't forget to include the delivery process in your project plans!

Pls send us any payment instrument that they used to take money from you so we can take care of you and I can yell at my Fedex rep lol

It all depends on the delivery service and driver.
My full skid and 11 additional on a separate skid came from SS via one of the big trucking companies, can't remember which one.
I live about 500 feet back in the woods with a twisting driveway lined with trees that comes out to the hill part of the road. Guy said no way he could get up the driveway. He kept going on about it, mulling it over. Finally, he said he was going to go turn around, back up the driveway. Dude had skills. Then came the issue of me having a gravel driveway. But, he asked me to help pull, and we muscled it off the gate.

A few days later, a smaller truck with the 14' rails from a different company that would easily make the turn in our turnaround said no way, "We aren't allowed to go up personal driveways", had to unload at the road.

Lift gate service is extra, but if they want to charge extra for the inability of their equipment to handle the load, I would dispute that.
Yeah, that aint F'n right. FedEx is the delivery service. It's not up to you!

I can't recall who delivered our two pallets to our house, but they had a fork and set them right where we wanted. No issues.

I rented a truck and picked up my panels at the distributor. Saved me so much hassle. It's was a LOT of extra effort, but soo worth it. If people live even reasonably close to a distributor, this is the way to go.

I can't recall who delivered our two pallets to our house, but they had a fork and set them right where we wanted. No issues.
I had the same experience - 2 pallets of 20panels each from @SanTan Solar and the driver (I'm thinking freight delivery rather then UPS/FedEx) wheeled them all the way around to the back yard (about 200feet) where it was most useful for me to unpack/test! Couldn't believe it - was so nice.
1701985218250.png

Back