diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Review

AlaskaStartsHere

I wish I had something good to say about Signature Solar, but I have never had to work so hard at purchasing a product in my life. I don't know if they are so busy that they don't really need the business, or if they are just bad.

I called in to ask questions about getting a system designed. When you call in it tells you that you need to fill out a form on the website. I fill out the form. There is a fair amount of detail, of which the design used none. I already knew which major components I wanted, but it was the odds and ends that I wasn't sure about. After 3 days I received a design. It wasn't based on the information I filled out (waste of my time) and it didn't have all the components that I requested. Each time I responded to the emails of the design, it would take 1-2 days to get something back.

The design, which was nothing more than a quote was finally finished and I still have a question. I decided to call sales and ask them. After waiting on hold for over 30 minutes. I hung up. I tried the next day and I was finally able to get someone to answer the phone. I asked sales about shipping the order and about a tool on the quote. They can't understand why the tool is on the quote as it isn't needed and doesn't come with any connectors to use it anyway. They offer to take it off. Great, but why was it on there and how was this quote made, and what else might not have been thoroughly reviewed?

I was told that I would be sent a quote for shipping and a review for additional discounting. Now in the next week, still no email. I call sales again and wait for someone to answer. Just about when I'm ready to hang up, someone answers. I have to explain the situation again and they say oh, here is your shipping quote I'll send that right to you. Surprise, surprise, someone dropped the ball again and didn't follow through. I receive a quote for shipping but I also asked about sales tax in Ohio and Indiana. I am trying to avoid paying tax on a large system order. Both Ohio and Indiana have an exemption for solar sales tax. I was told by Signature Solar that tax will still be charged because it's an online order. That is #FakeNews. They're system is setup to charge tax. I suspect that's because some items would be taxable, but others not, and it's work to sort it out so, better to screw the customer than put effort into it!

I am still waiting to find out about the sales tax and discount. We'll see what happens with that. I am worried about investing in Signature Solar supported equipment. I live in an extremely remote area. If I can't even get the company to respond to sales inquiries, how are they going to be after the sale? I hope this is a bizarre anomaly and they're great. I wish someone from the company would actually call me, and say, let's make this right and ensure you get what you need and build confidence that they will support the product after the sale.

Would love to help you out here. Could you DM me your email address? I think we could get you some help here. And I want to find out why we dropped the ball with your process.
Thank you. I know that sometimes things just go sideways and that isn't always a reflection of the company. I would love to post a positive update. I sent you a DM earlier but didn't include my email. I will send another one with my contact info. Thank you

SigSolar is a sales organization; I wouldn't expect a great design process from them, unless you saw evidence on their website that they have a dedicated design team, and you got put into a good process (a designer assigned to you and available for all your questions, a solid design process of gathering info, back and forth review effort, etc.)

This design process isn't a sales rep, nor is it "one designer on the back-end, fronted by 10 sales reps on the front-end" ... it's someone who understands the solar RE design process. Otherwise, you are getting a "sales process", not a design process. Sales processes might be defined as "we have stuff to sell, and your design will be based upon our inventory at the time", and so on.

I'd start over, and find a designer who will work with you, lead you through the process, and be responsive. This might cost you money, but that is to be expected for a design process. You'd be getting someone with almost EE powers AND who understands solar, or who has EE's available to them if needed.

Or, figure out the design process yourself, and then fit the sales process to your component research and acquisition, at that stage of the game.

I'd also try other "sales organizations", to compare the results of the sales process to SigSolar. Perhaps someone like CurrentConnected.com? Give another org a try, and see what happens ...

Hope this helps ...

SigSolar is a sales organization; I wouldn't expect a great design process from them, unless you saw evidence on their website that they have a dedicated design team, and you got put into a good process (a designer assigned to you and available for all your questions, a solid design process of gathering info, back and forth review effort, etc.)

This design process isn't a sales rep, nor is it "one designer on the back-end, fronted by 10 sales reps on the front-end" ... it's someone who understands the solar RE design process. Otherwise, you are getting a "sales process", not a design process. Sales processes might be defined as "we have stuff to sell, and your design will be based upon our inventory at the time", and so on.

I'd start over, and find a designer who will work with you, lead you through the process, and be responsive. This might cost you money, but that is to be expected for a design process. You'd be getting someone with almost EE powers AND who understands solar, or who has EE's available to them if needed.

Or, figure out the design process yourself, and then fit the sales process to your component research and acquisition, at that stage of the game.

I'd also try other "sales organizations", to compare the results of the sales process to SigSolar. Perhaps someone like CurrentConnected.com? Give another org a try, and see what happens ...

Hope this helps ...
Signature Solar advertises that they can help with system design and they have a design team and design template to gather information off of. I am not sure if you are giving your opinion or speaking with first-hand knowledge regarding their advertised capabilities?

Signature Solar advertises that they can help with system design and they have a design team and design template to gather information off of. I am not sure if you are giving your opinion or speaking with first-hand knowledge regarding their advertised capabilities?
Our design team doesn't base their designs around a specific product and normally they will try and give options. I'm going to follow up with Landon and see why you weren't given the full picture of the design. You should have received much more than just a quote. There is normally a design package that is emailed over with everything else.

It would be an opinion, based upon my understanding of:

- their website ... as of today, when you look at it, the "design" capability isn't front and center, and it is impossible to find out much about it
- the experience found in the OP, as it doesn't bode well for the "design process", and it DOES match what many other threads indicate

I care about the design process, and hope that I can see enough of others' design efforts to zero in on a more perfect design process, vs a more typical sales process (to design).

Many years ago (almost 10 now), I used Northern Arizona Wind & Solar (now NAZ Electric), and my experience with them was nothing like yours with SigSolar. Got a knowledgeable person, got a design fully thought out to all the individual bits & bobs, did my own research, and then purchased and implemented their design. Later on, asked questions about it during installation, added more to the design with their assistance. Overall, a pretty pleasant experience. I even called the manufacturers directly, and had good experiences, even though Northern was the reseller.

If you look at their website, you'll quickly find (in about 3 clicks) the following:
www.solar-electric.com/meet-our-team

As this is a forum, and others might see this thread, I wanted the design process to be expanded on, for anyone else's benefit, vs it being just a sales process. SigSolar might still come through for you, and I hope their website gets expanded on the "design" side ...

Good luck with your efforts!

I wish I had something good to say about Signature Solar, but I have never had to work so hard at purchasing a product in my life. I don't know if they are so busy that they don't really need the business, or if they are just bad.

I called in to ask questions about getting a system designed. When you call in it tells you that you need to fill out a form on the website. I fill out the form. There is a fair amount of detail, of which the design used none. I already knew which major components I wanted, but it was the odds and ends that I wasn't sure about. After 3 days I received a design. It wasn't based on the information I filled out (waste of my time) and it didn't have all the components that I requested. Each time I responded to the emails of the design, it would take 1-2 days to get something back.

The design, which was nothing more than a quote was finally finished and I still have a question. I decided to call sales and ask them. After waiting on hold for over 30 minutes. I hung up. I tried the next day and I was finally able to get someone to answer the phone. I asked sales about shipping the order and about a tool on the quote. They can't understand why the tool is on the quote as it isn't needed and doesn't come with any connectors to use it anyway. They offer to take it off. Great, but why was it on there and how was this quote made, and what else might not have been thoroughly reviewed?

I was told that I would be sent a quote for shipping and a review for additional discounting. Now in the next week, still no email. I call sales again and wait for someone to answer. Just about when I'm ready to hang up, someone answers. I have to explain the situation again and they say oh, here is your shipping quote I'll send that right to you. Surprise, surprise, someone dropped the ball again and didn't follow through. I receive a quote for shipping but I also asked about sales tax in Ohio and Indiana. I am trying to avoid paying tax on a large system order. Both Ohio and Indiana have an exemption for solar sales tax. I was told by Signature Solar that tax will still be charged because it's an online order. That is #FakeNews. They're system is setup to charge tax. I suspect that's because some items would be taxable, but others not, and it's work to sort it out so, better to screw the customer than put effort into it!

I am still waiting to find out about the sales tax and discount. We'll see what happens with that. I am worried about investing in Signature Solar supported equipment. I live in an extremely remote area. If I can't even get the company to respond to sales inquiries, how are they going to be after the sale? I hope this is a bizarre anomaly and they're great. I wish someone from the company would actually call me, and say, let's make this right and ensure you get what you need and build confidence that they will support the product after the sale.
Ohio doesn't offer a sales tax exemption for residential solar...exemption is for commercial only.

Hope this helps ...
I do agree with you 100% ... but in SigSolars defense "real" designers charge a few hundred dollars to do the design and then usually that money is credited when you use their service ... SOOO many people will go to solar company XYZ and have them design out a system and then just get everything off of Amazon/eBay and save a few bucks .... and that just wastes Solar Company XYZ time and effort

Also SigSolar NEVER stated that they were anything but a website sales company .-- it was the folks on YouTube and other locations that suddenly turned them into the "hey these guys are great" ... just because someone sells good stuff does NOT make them an expert in anything EXCEPT selling good stuff ...

As we have said ad nauseum - they are a product sales company NOT a customer service company -- "won and done" ... you are never go hear anyone say "wow - i got great customer service from SS" ... BUT you will hear "Wow they SOLD me a great system" ...

BIG DIFFERENCE

Thank you. We are looking at your correspondence and will be in touch soon.
Just piggybacking on a portion of the OP about tax.
For states that do have tax exemptions on solar purchases do you all have a way to accommodate that by chance? If not, I understand. I’m in AZ which is exempt, but finding local equipment isn’t always easy either

Just piggybacking on a portion of the OP about tax.
For states that do have tax exemptions on solar purchases do you all have a way to accommodate that by chance? If not, I understand. I’m in AZ which is exempt, but finding local equipment isn’t always easy either
We do. As tax incentives are constantly changing, we attempt to keep up and plug state exceptions into our system. I believe AZ will come up as exempt and tax will not be applied to orders that originate there.

Last edited:
I ordered my system from signature solar and installed it. I am running into issues with my inverter. I had the issue of the 120v is not coming as output when the battery is charged back. I was asked to update the firmware. Now I am not able to charge my car. I contacted the tier1 support. They asked me to send the system configuration, pictures and volt meter readings. I sent them last week and waited to hear back from their tier 2. The tier 2 rep did not even look into the issue and sent a template email which talks about grounding. If you are willing to spend your money and be at the mercy of someone to help you, Please give your business to Signature Solar. I hope this helps some one. This created a lot of stress and agony to deal with Signature solar technical support with no resolution.

Would love to help you out here. Could you DM me your email address? I think we could get you some help here. And I want to find out why we dropped the ball with your process.
If this was the attitude and first impression every customer received when first calling a company BEFORE the ball was dropped , they would save a lot of grief and time trying to constantly apologize and make things right AFTER the ball was dropped.. basic business sense 101…
SMH….
J.

I ordered my system from signature solar and installed it. I am running into issues with my inverter. I had the issue of the 120v is not coming as output when the battery is charged back. I was asked to update the firmware. Now I am not able to charge my car. I contacted the tier1 support. They asked me to send the system configuration, pictures and volt meter readings. I sent them last week and waited to hear back from their tier 2. The tier 2 rep did not even look into the issue and sent a template email which talks about grounding. If you are willing to spend your money and be at the mercy of someone to help you, Please give your business to Signature Solar. I hope this helps some one. This created a lot of stress and agony to deal with Signature solar technical support with no resolution.
Hello,
I have sent you a DM.

Back