diy solar

diy solar

Batteries charged overnight then...failed to discharge or re-charge from solar panels

Grumbles

Can anybody offer some suggestions please? I'm feeling pretty stupid here after 5 hours of trawling the internet and getting nowhere.

Yesterday, I changed the settings on my Solis invertor to charge for 2 hours from the off-peak grid. It worked perfectly. I did this at about 3pm yesterday.

After my meddling it discharged as expected, charged from the grid as expected, then....the batteries neither discharged or re-charged since. I've generated about 6kW today from solar - nearly all gone back to the grid and none to the batteries, meanwhile, nothing this morning before the sun came up and out has come from the batteries either!

Since then, I've reset the power twice, reset the batteries, cancelled the grid charging settings, put them back, changed the invertor to 'dump' the charge to the grid and nothing seems to stir the batteries. The readings from the invertor all say normal, all set for self use, charge from the grid etc - and it was working as expected after I changed the settings....

I have an existing solar system with a hybrid invertor/battery set up installed 6 months ago. It has 4 pilonTech 3000C batteries and an Acrel ACR10R single phase energy meter.

It's this meter that seems to be working (to a point) judging by the voltages displayed but has a flashing red COM led. The R_P and _ (?) where also flashing red prior to the reboots but this red COM LED has stayed on. I'm not getting an error from the invertor-batteries. If the meter has a communication issue, is it with the clamp? - but if it is, when do the readings on the display look like it is communicating? - and if that is the case, when why aren't the batteries charging?

I think I had a flashing red issue on the meter before and a reboot sorted it. This time it's not quite so simple.

I've downloaded the whole data logs and nothing seems to stand out differently...not that I really know what I'm looking at!

Kind Regards,

Graham.

(the times are GMT not summer time)

Pic1: Energy going from panels to grid - batteries online but not being used
Pic2: Energy meter
Pic3: Screenshot of yesterday (cloudy) with charge/discharge ok
Pic4: Screenshot of today, charged from grid and then nothing. Orange is total usage as I take from the grid, not the batteries. Batteries charge static.

1697553943704.png1697554225378.png

1697553289003.png1697553325472.png

A bit more information from the Solis web page. It seems the battery wakeup is OFF. I've tried to set this to ON but it keeps defaulting to OFF. I've rebooted the system again and wiggled the clamps on the mains input but no change in status or the meter COM light....

Attachments

• 1697555617717.png
    1697555617717.png
    46 KB · Views: 0
It's this meter that seems to be working (to a point) judging by the voltages displayed but has a flashing red COM led. The R_P and _ (?) where also flashing red prior to the reboots but this red COM LED has stayed on. I'm not getting an error from the invertor-batteries. If the meter has a communication issue, is it with the clamp? - but if it is, when do the readings on the display look like it is communicating? - and if that is the case, when why aren't the batteries charging?

I think I had a flashing red issue on the meter before and a reboot sorted it. This time it's not quite so simple
The red COM light should flash once a second - it does that every time the Solis queries its data.

The green Run light should come on for one second, then off for one second.

The R_P light is a reverse polarity light - it will illuminate when there is export of power to the grid.

The '-' light is a 'negative' light - it means that the number displayed on the LCD screen is negative (guess they didn't have enough characters to show -ve correctly on the LCD screen).

Hence, if the Acrel is set to show power, the R_P and '-' lights will both be synchronised and come on when power is being exported.

HTH.

Thanks again SeaGal, this is incredibly helpful!

I looked at the manual for the Acrel and couldn't find any mention of this.

I called Solis helpdesk yesterday, the initial call handler, the technical helpdesk after and the engineer/IT technician were all great. He flashed the invertor firmware which sorted it and tweaked some other settings so my app is working better than ever.

Lastly, whilst I was waiting to to talk to the technician I noticed these posts - with the same invertor - so apologies to all for duplicate posting for the most part...

Back