diy solar

diy solar

Batteries located under chassis

gatorjont

I have a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour and was interested in upgrading my 2 AGM to 2 Battle Born lithium batteries. My current batteries are located under the chassis in the rear behind the dual wheels drivers side. I was wanting to put the two Battle Borns where the old batteries are located but I was advised by an installer that this is a dangerous place to put these batteries due to potential damage, fire ect. IT seems to me that is was no dangerous than it was for the original batteries but I'm really new to the rv/battery world and would appreciate any ones ideas of having lithium batteries located like this.IMG_3386.jpeg

If the batteries will never get below 0 celcius then its probably ok.
lifepo4 batteries will be damaged if charged below 0.
lifepo4 are not a fire risk like other lithium chemistries.

Last edited:
Not a great place for any battery type. LFP will not spontaeously combust like LiPo battery. They can outgas vigorously with steamy cloud if punctured.

What would worry me the worst (on lead-acid or LFP) would be something kicked up shoving battery terminals into frame or jabbing wiring causing it to short to frame. That might cause a fire.

Thanx for both your comments. Both make a lot of sense.

I just got the rv and was surprised the batteries were located under the chassis. I haven't talked to Airstream about this engineering wonder yet but I would really like to make it work just to save the limited space under the seat/bed.Maybe a stronger case and some sort of heating pad. When I posted I expected some real horror stories where this battery location failed. The main encouragement is that those Airstream engineers have been doing this for a while and two owners before me tooled around the Country without incident.

diy solar

diy solar
Back