diy solar

diy solar

Battery charger

nutu

Hello everyone, i just got a lifepo4 12v 100ah LiTime battery. They recommend using a 20 amp charger, would using a 10amp charger influence the battery life or just the charging time? I will use the battery for a trolling motor so i dont care if it charges in 5 hr or 10 hr.
Thank you

Generally, the slower the better (for LiFePO4 battery life). But it should be a LiFePO4 capable charger (the charging curves differ somewhat from lead acid).

10A will charge it fine. As mentioned, just make sure CV is +/- 14 to 14.4 volts, and terminates when the battery voltage reaches the charge voltage. No float or equalization. If you're going to float it then 13.4 CV. Or put it on a timer and terminate it.

Just understand if you use 80 amp hours out of the battery it may take ten or fifteen hours to recharge.

I really like the MeanWell chargers, but Victron has their IP line that is very good as well. A 25A meanwell charger is about $125, the Victrons are a little more. The BT interface on victron stuff is pretty cool.

Most 'lithium' compatible chargers will try to charge to 14.6 volts, and most lifepo4 batteries with a BMS will terminate charging for cell over-voltage. Which is not a very good way to manage charging.

Is a lifepo4 charger and has the same spec like the one that Litime sells main difference is the price and amps, 20a LiTime charger is 145$ here and this one is 10a for 49$ it's also from a company that has their own line of lifepo bateries . Thank you for the info

Linky??

Here's one that is right in the middle, output and price: https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/NPB-240-12AD1.shtml
Recommended for 55-180Ah battery size.

Here's the data sheet: https://www.trcelectronics.com/ecomm/pdf/npb240.pdf
The cool thing on this one is the adjust pot for variable charge voltage. And 2-stage selectable so it will terminate charging when the battery is fully charged. This is their 13.5A size.

The Victron 10A IP charger would be this one, but it's nearly twice the price:

I got the NPB-450, it's 25A for a 230A lifepo4 battery in the RV - like it a lot. Just works perfectly:

Hi Nutu, I will suggest you use AA / AAA Chargers and as per my experience these are the best in the entire market. Many chargers comes under this category and you will good all of them.

Back