diy solar

diy solar

Battery discharge at 30 %

I have an old lead acid which has about 1300 mostly short cycles on it. In daily solar use. Drained 10% charged 5% through winter until it got to 12V with no load. Then I would give it a full charge and a overnight float which the first time seen it through the rest of winter.

By the third year though charging it from 12V the battery would only take 4 Amps at 15V.

A forum (not this one) member suggested to take it down to 11V, gently. Then slap it really hard in the face with whatever voltage it needs to take 10 amps. Do not leave it unattended! It might start slow, but it might pick up fast.

So I did this. Took it down to 11V with minimal < 1 Amp loads and then gave it 16V and it started at 4 Amps and after about 20 minutes rose up to 10A. I kept it on the 10A charge until the voltage across the terminals was 14.40V, then I back the charge voltage back down to 14.50V until it was fully charged, then left it over night on 13.60V.

The idea was to use the high current to try and shake loose some of the sultification and other wear buildup. I don't know how plausible that was, I felt I'd try it as the battery is end of life, maybe I could get another year or more out of it. It did last another 2 years, but that poor old battery is knackered.

I gave it a wee retirement job being a UPS for some 12V network gear. It was fine at it. However when I tested it to see what capacity it had.

From a full charge and an overnight on float it produced 11 Amps at 12V. 12 Amps and it dropped to 11.8V. I gave it as long as it would cope with at 5A down to 12V, then 1A down to 12V. That evening, by bed time, it was sitting at 12.1V having delivered only 11Ah. It's a 100Ah Marine Start battery that is supposed to have 990CCA and 100Ah. Not anymore. In fairness, I got miss sold a "Marine Starter" battery when I asked for a "Marine deep cycle", I did wonder why it was so cheap @~£100. So for a starter battery it did fine, given the life it had.

So many lead acids these days are sold sealed. Not just sealed to help keep maintenance down, but sealed so they cannot be maintained. Even sealed lead acids, especially if they have been "boost" floated for hours in an engine bay repeatedly, they do vent O2 and H2. The water depletes.

Modern SLAs are unrepairable. If the water level drops and shaking the battery you can hear it's half full, the only way in there to refill it, is with a dremel and a chisel. It also suggests they are built to fail long before they will need water. I'm sure big maintainable lead acids exist, but I expect they will cost about twice the consumer mainline will though.

The only blessing is that SLAs are one of the most recycled commodities in the world. Very few people will or are allowed to "land fill" lead.

Puoi aggiungere una quarta batteria alle tre e andrà
I have an old lead acid which has about 1300 mostly short cycles on it. In daily solar use. Drained 10% charged 5% through winter until it got to 12V with no load. Then I would give it a full charge and a overnight float which the first time seen it through the rest of winter.

By the third year though charging it from 12V the battery would only take 4 Amps at 15V.

A forum (not this one) member suggested to take it down to 11V, gently. Then slap it really hard in the face with whatever voltage it needs to take 10 amps. Do not leave it unattended! It might start slow, but it might pick up fast.

So I did this. Took it down to 11V with minimal < 1 Amp loads and then gave it 16V and it started at 4 Amps and after about 20 minutes rose up to 10A. I kept it on the 10A charge until the voltage across the terminals was 14.40V, then I back the charge voltage back down to 14.50V until it was fully charged, then left it over night on 13.60V.

The idea was to use the high current to try and shake loose some of the sultification and other wear buildup. I don't know how plausible that was, I felt I'd try it as the battery is end of life, maybe I could get another year or more out of it. It did last another 2 years, but that poor old battery is knackered.

I gave it a wee retirement job being a UPS for some 12V network gear. It was fine at it. However when I tested it to see what capacity it had.

From a full charge and an overnight on float it produced 11 Amps at 12V. 12 Amps and it dropped to 11.8V. I gave it as long as it would cope with at 5A down to 12V, then 1A down to 12V. That evening, by bed time, it was sitting at 12.1V having delivered only 11Ah. It's a 100Ah Marine Start battery that is supposed to have 990CCA and 100Ah. Not anymore. In fairness, I got miss sold a "Marine Starter" battery when I asked for a "Marine deep cycle", I did wonder why it was so cheap @~£100. So for a starter battery it did fine, given the life it had.

So many lead acids these days are sold sealed. Not just sealed to help keep maintenance down, but sealed so they cannot be maintained. Even sealed lead acids, especially if they have been "boost" floated for hours in an engine bay repeatedly, they do vent O2 and H2. The water depletes.

Modern SLAs are unrepairable. If the water level drops and shaking the battery you can hear it's half full, the only way in there to refill it, is with a dremel and a chisel. It also suggests they are built to fail long before they will need water. I'm sure big maintainable lead acids exist, but I expect they will cost about twice the consumer mainline will though.

The only blessing is that SLAs are one of the most recycled commodities in the world. Very few people will or are allowed to "land fill" lead.
Hello and thanks for your post. My batteries are still young. Given what Sunshine advised me, I'd better use my accumulation. Mine are AGM therefore they cannot be equalized as it would lead to the "boiling" phenomenon that AGMs cannot support. As for the exhumation ...... I saw a video where the AGMs (mine have the cap) it is possible first to see the state of the cells and then to mix acid and distilled water. I don't know the quantities well, but assuming that the percentage is available, it could be slightly topped up. Then a special recharging procedure must be carried out using a power supply. Thank you

Puoi aggiungere una quarta batteria alle tre e andrà bene.
Grazie sun . Ho comprato proprio adesso la quarta seguente fedelmente il tuo consiglio . Inoltre pensavo che essendo delle C100 ( purtroppo ) avere la quarta batteria potrebbe far durare tutto il resto in quanto il prelievo della corrente verrà distribuiti al 10% per tutte e quatto . Quindi chiedere all'accumulo che adesso diventerebbe 440 A C100 neanche 300 watt serali , che a me al momento vanno bene . Di giorno con l'aiuto dei pannelli potrei avere molto di più di corrente anche 500 watt continui , ma a me non servono 500 watt continui ! Il mio epever verrà spremuto al massimo 40 ampere diviso 4 batterie 10 ampere l'una . La potenza massima registrata al momento con i miei pannelli è stata con picchi da 615 Watt .

Mine are AGM therefore they cannot be equalized as it would lead to the "boiling" phenomenon that AGMs cannot support.

Good point. The "slap in the face" charge is delibrately trying to "fizz" the lead acid up. One way to look it is, you do a small amount of damage to the battery to try and free up a small amount of degraded capacity. It's a fools game, flogging a dying horse.

Good point. The "slap in the face" charge is delibrately trying to "fizz" the lead acid up. One way to look it is, you do a small amount of damage to the battery to try and free up a small amount of degraded capacity. It's a fools game, flogging a dying horse.
Sorry but the translation is unclear. Would you like to say that it is better to unload a lot and then give a lot of push until the charge is reached?

I was agreeing. In agreement with you. The charge technique will not work with an AGM.

Grazie sun . Ho comprato proprio adesso la quarta seguente fedelmente il tuo consiglio . Inoltre pensavo che essendo delle C100 ( purtroppo ) avere la quarta batteria potrebbe far durare tutto il resto in quanto il prelievo della corrente verrà distribuiti al 10% per tutte e quatto . Quindi chiedere all'accumulo che adesso diventerebbe 440 A C100 neanche 300 watt serali , che a me al momento vanno bene . Di giorno con l'aiuto dei pannelli potrei avere molto di più di corrente anche 500 watt continui , ma a me non servono 500 watt continui ! Il mio epever verrà spremuto al massimo 40 ampere diviso 4 batterie 10 ampere l'una . La potenza massima registrata al momento con i miei pannelli è stata con picchi da 615 Watt .

Potrebbe essere necessario aggiungere uno o più pannelli. Una batteria più grande ti dà solo più tempo tra una ricarica e l'altra. Il tuo uso quotidiano è ancora limitato dal tuo solare. Anche se è solo un caricabatterie da 40 A, puoi utilizzare fino a 900 W sul tuo Epever per ottenere la ricarica da 40 A più a lungo.

Potrebbe essere necessario aggiungere uno o più pannelli. Una batteria più grande ti dà solo più tempo tra una ricarica e l'altra. Il tuo uso quotidiano è ancora limitato dal tuo solare. Anche se è solo un caricabatterie da 40 A, puoi utilizzare fino a 900 W sul tuo Epever per ottenere la ricarica da 40 A più a lungo.
Si grazie , questo l'ho tenuto in considerazione . Credo proprio che in primis cambierò epever , con modello 6415 AN ( 150 VOC ) , per sfruttare la potenza dei miei pannelli , e successivamente alla mia configurazione 2s2p diventerà 3s2p . Ormai quando accendo la tv o faccio il caffè guardo solo che strumenti e consumo ..... per vedere come va l'impianto ...... incredible e paradossale ...

Si grazie , questo l'ho tenuto in considerazione . Credo proprio che in primis cambierò epever , con modello 6415 AN ( 150 VOC ) , per sfruttare la potenza dei miei pannelli , e successivamente alla mia configurazione 2s2p diventerà 3s2p . Ormai quando accendo la tv o faccio il caffè guardo solo che strumenti e consumo ..... per vedere come va l'impianto ...... incredible e paradossale ...

Mi fa piacere sentirlo. Ancora una volta, vorrei suggerire un monitor della batteria decente. Anche uno più economico come questo:

Sarebbe drammaticamente più accurato di quello che hai. Sarebbe anche utile per le future batterie LFP.

Che coincidenza ! l'avevo già visto e preso in considerazione . Grazie per il tempo che mi stai dedicando .

Ti ho assillato per averne uno per molto tempo! Per favore fallo! Eliminano così tante congetture. Per la massima precisione, il monitor dovrebbe essere programmato con la capacità della batteria C20 se si dispone di tali informazioni.

Finché puoi caricarlo regolarmente al massimo, dovrebbe rimanere ragionevolmente accurato.

Lieto di aiutarla! Soprattutto se ottieni un monitor della batteria !!!! :)

Ti ho assillato per averne uno per molto tempo! Per favore fallo! Eliminano così tante congetture. Per la massima precisione, il monitor dovrebbe essere programmato con la capacità della batteria C20 se si dispone di tali informazioni.

Finché puoi caricarlo regolarmente al massimo, dovrebbe rimanere ragionevolmente accurato.

Lieto di aiutarla! Soprattutto se ottieni un monitor della batteria !!!! :)
Non conosco il tuo nome pertanto caro Sun è assolutamente vero quelo che hai scritto ! Vedrai che comprerò sto benedetto monitor e tu sarai il primo a vederne l'acquisto ! Scherzo . Comunque ormai è andata , sfruttiamo queste batterie C100 .

Non conosco il tuo nome pertanto caro Sun è assolutamente vero quelo che hai scritto ! Vedrai che comprerò sto benedetto monitor e tu sarai il primo a vederne l'acquisto ! Scherzo . Comunque ormai è andata , sfruttiamo queste batterie C100 .

Se le tue batterie sono 110Ah C100, allora sono circa 100Ah C20. Quando programmi il monitor della batteria, impostalo su 400Ah, non su 440Ah.

ottimo , ma se ne hai voglia mi spieghi perchè questo parametro in C20
With lead acid batteries, drawing more current means you get less capacity.

C100 means the battery can deliver 110Ah/100h = 1.1A. If you draw more than 1.1A, you will get less than 110Ah.

A C20 rating means the battery can deliver 100Ah/20h = 5A.

If you never use more than 1.1A per battery, then the C100 rating is accurate; however, that is very little power. It's more likely that you're using something closer to 5A per battery or even more.

I am using the C100 rating to estimate the C20 rating based on other batteries that give both ratings. A C100 rating is about 10% higher than a C20 rating.

C100 means the battery can deliver 110Ah/100h = 1.1A. If you draw more than 1.1A, you will get less than 110Ah.

If you never use more than 1.1A per battery, then the C100 rating is accurate; however, that is very little power. It's more likely that you're using something closer to 5A per battery or even more.

I am using the C100 rating to estimate the C20 rating based on other batteries that give both ratings. A C100 rating is about 10% higher than a C20 rating.
Ok infatti diciamo che la media è un totale di 12 ampere circa 3 ampere a batteria .

Volevo chiederti , come faccio o a misurare lo stato di salute di ogni batteria ? Senza acquistare super strumenti è possibile es. smontante una delle batterie e verificarne lo stato di potenza a prescindere dalla tensione ? Grazie

Ok infatti diciamo che la media è un totale di 12 ampere circa 3 ampere a batteria .

Poiché si tratta di più di 1,1 A per batteria, le batterie non forniranno 110 Ah. È necessario utilizzare la valutazione C20 per una misura più accurata della capacità.

Questo non è qualcosa che analizzi troppo. Scegli semplicemente la capacità che meglio riflette il tuo utilizzo. Nella maggior parte dei casi, questa è la classificazione C20.

Volevo chiederti , come faccio o a misurare lo stato di salute di ogni batteria ? Senza acquistare super strumenti è possibile es. smontante una delle batterie e verificarne lo stato di potenza a prescindere dalla tensione ? Grazie

Testare le singole batterie richiede uno sforzo e un'attrezzatura deliberati.

Un modo meno dirompente è utilizzare un monitor della batteria per monitorare il SoC. Usa il banco batterie come faresti normalmente scaricando un po' più in profondità del solito.

Una volta scaricato al 20-50% per il monitor della batteria. Registra il valore SoC e rimuovi una batteria dal banco.
Lascialo riposare disconnesso per 10 ore. Dopo 10 ore, dovresti essere in grado di correlare la tensione della batteria al valore del SoC quando è stato disconnesso.

Lo ripeteresti quindi per ogni batteria.

Una volta che hai i dati per tutte le batterie, puoi determinare quanto sono in salute e se è necessario apportare modifiche al valore di capacità nel monitor della batteria.

Poiché si tratta di più di 1,1 A per batteria, le batterie non forniranno 110 Ah. È necessario utilizzare la valutazione C20 per una misura più accurata della capacità.

Questo non è qualcosa che analizzi troppo. Scegli semplicemente la capacità che meglio riflette il tuo utilizzo. Nella maggior parte dei casi, questa è la classificazione C20.

Testare le singole batterie richiede uno sforzo e un'attrezzatura deliberati.

Un modo meno dirompente è utilizzare un monitor della batteria per monitorare il SoC. Usa il banco batterie come faresti normalmente scaricando un po' più in profondità del solito.

Una volta scaricato al 20-50% per il monitor della batteria. Registra il valore SoC e rimuovi una batteria dal banco.
Lascialo riposare disconnesso per 10 ore. Dopo 10 ore, dovresti essere in grado di correlare la tensione della batteria al valore del SoC quando è stato disconnesso.

Lo ripeteresti quindi per ogni batteria.

Una volta che hai i dati per tutte le batterie, puoi determinare quanto sono in salute e se è necessario apportare modifiche al valore di capacità nel monitor della batteria.
Ok procedura chiaramente valida ma laboriosa . Dico una stupidata , so che l’elettrauto possiede un tester per le batterie auto , quello strumento misura lo stato di salute delle batterie però per auto . Va bene lo stesso un controllo del genere oppure lasciamo perdere

Ok procedura chiaramente valida ma laboriosa . Dico una stupidata , so che l’elettrauto possiede un tester per le batterie auto , quello strumento misura lo stato di salute delle batterie però per auto . Va bene lo stesso un controllo del genere oppure lasciamo perdere
Questi strumenti sono particolarmente utili per misurare la resistenza interna della batteria. Tali tester devono essere impostati con i parametri corretti. Le batterie a ciclo profondo spesso non dispongono dei parametri necessari per configurare accuratamente il tester.

Hanno valore, ma non ti diranno se la tua batteria da 110 Ah fornirà 110 Ah.

diy solar

diy solar
Back