diy solar

diy solar

Anyone ever use cells in parallel in a battery pack?

sunsurfer

Solar Addict
I was thinking the other day, why not use some cells in parallel to increase ah capacity without having to build multiple batteries(multiple bms)?

Then it occurred to me, this could be useful if there are weaker cells in a pack since there would be a parallel neighbor to help carry the work.

Example; a 12v of 16 cells with 4P4S. Only issue would be a self discharge issue but does lithium even have that problem like lead acid? If a cell went bad, would it bring down the others in parallel?

12v of 16 cells with 4P4S.
There are quite a few of us that run 2PnS battery configurations.

4PnS are less common but a search will find a bunch.

The trick to a successful parallel first configuration is to match the cells into groups so that the combined capacities are equal to the other groups.

For a 2P battery, its pretty straight forward: pair strongest with weakest, pair second strongest with second weakest...

There can quite a few ways to make the group capacities equal. I don't recall any tools to help suggest groupings.

This of course requires capacity testing all the cells and this is a lengthy process. I've tested dozens of cells and paired a few 2P batteries so if you have questions please ask. There are many others that have good info and experience too.

I was thinking the other day, why not use some cells in parallel to increase ah capacity without having to build multiple batteries(multiple bms)?

Then it occurred to me, this could be useful if there are weaker cells in a pack since there would be a parallel neighbor to help carry the work.

Example; a 12v of 16 cells with 4P4S. Only issue would be a self discharge issue but does lithium even have that problem like lead acid? If a cell went bad, would it bring down the others in parallel?
Tesla uses a 14p6S packs...

I wouldn't parallel cells, without placing a fuse between them.
If a cell developed a short, the others in parallel will dump all of their power into it. Without protection between them, this will be a very bad day.

If a cell developed a short, the others in parallel will dump all of their power into it. Without protection between them, this will be a very bad day.
Agreed, but have you heard of this happening and do you have something you can reference that shows this has happened?

Last edited:
Back