diy solar

diy solar

Battery maintainer plus solar generator.

tturff

My question is what / how do I need additionally for a permanent battery maintainer for my pickup truck battery. I'm new to overlanding and just had my first battery issue. Fortunately I had cell service. My electric needs are minimal at the moment but I want a system that can expand. I'm going to start with a 100w solar panel and a 200-300w generator.

I'm going to start with a 100w solar panel and a 200-300w generator.
You REALLY should figure out how much power you need before just buying some stuff.

A 200-300w generator? Like a gas generator? Those are measured in watts. Or are you talking about a solar generator with a battery in it? They have capacities measured in watt hours (wh).

And for maintaining a truck battery, with a permanent battery maintainer? What is the source of power for this permanent battery maintainer? The generator?

This is all basic stuff but you REALLY need to figure out what your goals are before guesswork purchasing.

My apologies. My power requirements are smart phone, tablet, laptop, and 2 rechargeable flash lights. I figured a 200-300wh solar generator with a battery in it would more than meet my needs. The power source for the solar generator with a battery in it and the truck battery maintainer would be the same single 100w solar panel.

My power requirements are smart phone, tablet, laptop, and 2 rechargeable flash lights.
Do you have any idea how much power these use? Do the chargers have watts on the labels? Multiply this by the number of hours per day you need/expect to use these devices. Get total watt hours per day (we need to figure in an engine battery maintainer too).

My guess is that 100w panel is too small. Is there any reason you decided on a 100w panel? Are you mounting this on the roof or carrying it out to the sun?
Have you looked for big cheap panels on craigslist in your area? (what city?, i can have a look if you want).

I think the 300 watt 'generator' is one of these.
power station 2.jpg

To maintain the starter battery a small ac charger/maintainer could be used plugged into the 'generator'.

(The term 'generator' is a stupid name for the box of tricks)

Not too sure what the situation is with the truck and 'overlanding', perhaps the truck needs a new battery.

Mike

diy solar

diy solar
Back