diy solar

diy solar

Battery & Panel Suggestions for Security Camera

DaveBad

I have been working on a security camera system to monitor a barn and driveway. The barn has no electric or WiFi. The neighbors are allowing me to tap into their WiFi via a point to point system.

Things that I have:

- an Ubiquiti LocoM2 nanostaion (to connect to the wifi) – 5.5w, 24v, 0.5A

- Reolink RLC-830A – 12w, 12v, 1A

- VictronMPPT 75/10 amp charge controller

I’m trying to figure out what panel and battery (12v?) this system will require. From what I’ve read the CC will not start charging unless the panel is supplying 5v above the battery voltage so I was thinking about a 24v panel. This is in the middle of New York state so cold weather is a factor.

Dave

Lead acid battery for cold weather.
How far from your home? If possible, use ubiquity to bridge from home. If so, make an all ubiquity system.
24v may make POE power easier.

I tried to shoot the wifi from my house to the barn with the Ubiquiti units. The terrain/trees made the bridge impossible. The neighbors barn is much closer and after testing I was able to get a point to point signal using the Ubiquiti units. I temporarily set up the camera and Ubiquiti with a small battery that I had and proved that it all works together. The camera needs 12v and the Ubiquiti unit needs 24v. I use a 12v to 24v step up convertor for the Ubiquiti. Now I need to figure out how much battery AH's I need and what size panel to keep it charged.

diy solar

diy solar
Back