diy solar

diy solar

Battery Terminal Size On Growatt Inverters and Pylontech Battery Cables

peter64

Hello I've been trying to find out the battery terminal size on growatt inverters. The unit I'm specifically interested in is the SPF 12000T DVM (one of the larger units).
I've been unable to find any information on the battery terminal size to know what ring terminal size cables I should purchase.

I suspect it is probably M8 (5/16") but perhaps it is some other size like M10 (3/8") or something smaller?

Here's the manual https://www.ginverter.com/upload/file/contents/2019/11/5dd5e492c30a5.pdf but it makes no reference on page 7 where it shows the terminal and cable sizes.

I've tried contacting Growatt, but they don't seem to understand what I'm asking (or know the size) as they haven't answered yet, and I'm eager to get my cables ordered as they may take weeks to arrive.

Also if anyone knows the size of the hole in the ring terminals for the Pylontech US2000B battery cables I'm hunting around the internet for that too. I've heard some people say that it's M8 or (5/16") but I haven't found any documents from Pylontech that actually have that number yet so any other first hand accounts would be appreciated.

https://www.rpc.com.au/pdf/pylontech_us2000_manual.pdf (page 11)

Thanks for any help.

Hello I've been trying to find out the battery terminal size on growatt inverters. The unit I'm specifically interested in is the SPF 12000T DVM (one of the larger units).
I've been unable to find any information on the battery terminal size to know what ring terminal size cables I should purchase.

I suspect it is probably M8 (5/16") but perhaps it is some other size like M10 (3/8") or something smaller?

Here's the manual https://www.ginverter.com/upload/file/contents/2019/11/5dd5e492c30a5.pdf but it makes no reference on page 7 where it shows the terminal and cable sizes.

I've tried contacting Growatt, but they don't seem to understand what I'm asking (or know the size) as they haven't answered yet, and I'm eager to get my cables ordered as they may take weeks to arrive.

Also if anyone knows the size of the hole in the ring terminals for the Pylontech US2000B battery cables I'm hunting around the internet for that too. I've heard some people say that it's M8 or (5/16") but I haven't found any documents from Pylontech that actually have that number yet so any other first hand accounts would be appreciated.

https://www.rpc.com.au/pdf/pylontech_us2000_manual.pdf (page 11)

Thanks for any help.

Did you ever find out?

Have you had any compatibility issues with your Growatt??

I was thinking of ordering a Victron MPPT 150/85 along with the Victron Multiplus 48/5000/70 just because these are recommended by both, Victron and Pylontech to be compatible with each other.

However, If I go with the 3-in-1 Growatt SPF 5000TL HVM it would save me over $2,000!!!

So, it would be great to know if those units work well with Pylontech batteries.

This statement about the US3000 is a bit disconcerting from a South African vendor. I never heard this before. Typically specs state 3.2kwh is usable of the total 3.6kwh. Any idea how to ensure the optimal yield from each battery? How could one's inverter/charger mess it up bad enough to only get 1.8kwh out of each battery?!

"Deliver up to 5kW* with single module (3.5kWh) – * please note this value is inverter/charger dependant, typically the maximum achieved value is 1.8kW per battery."

Seems strange given that the unit is rated at 74A max with 100A available for 15 seconds. You'd have to query the SA seller as to why they have stated that. It could be something as silly as most of their customers only buy 2kW inverters, but you'd hope not.

Peter: How is it working? I am planning on doing a system with the 12000T also using a 24kwh powerwall using Nissan Leaf batteries. I read in the instructions that the CAN buss hooks up to the BMS but only to batteries they approve. That is a list I can not find so I heard you just set the bulk and float voltages to the same setting. what did you do?

Peter: How is it working? I am planning on doing a system with the 12000T also using a 24kwh powerwall using Nissan Leaf batteries. I read in the instructions that the CAN buss hooks up to the BMS but only to batteries they approve. That is a list I can not find so I heard you just set the bulk and float voltages to the same setting. what did you do?

Are you talking about a supposed Growatt published list? I just watched a youtube tutorial published by Growatt on the SPF 5000ES unit and they alluded to some compatible batteries list. They didn't link to it though, and nothing came up when I searched. What gives?

From what I gather, Growatt is a company that really doesn't care about the tertiary consumers. I've read threads on other websites where people never seem to get an answer from them when something goes wrong. This is really pushing me towards shelling out an extra 2 grand and going with one of the Victron EasySolar units instead.

Hey guys sorry for the late replies, but I figure better late than never as it might help future purchasers.

- My SPF 12000T DVM has been working fine with my Pylon tech US2000 batteries for 2 years.
- Some very short cables came with the batteries but I bought a number of the 2m cable extension kits to allow for parallel connection to a bus bar.
- For your question regarding US3000 batteries saying you found a quote saying it only supplied 1.8kWh, assuming you actually where questioning the discrepancy you perceived in energy capacity, you miss read the quote if you read it carefully you will see it says "1.8kW" as in power output, not energy storage capacity.

For the last set of questions by Wizardkey
- It is working fine 2 years on
- In the growatt manual or perhaps via email they instruct you to set it to a specific LI battery mode, with that mode I believe the battery can be queried so the inverter can find the appropriate voltage levels (and or use the BMS supplied guage capacity).

I'm not sure why I was never emailed of any of the questions on this thread, I will probably check again in another few years just incase I am not notified or miss the notifications again.

Peter:
Mine has been working very well also for the past two years though the Leaf batteries are only about 60% of original capacity. Line Power goes out from time to time and we may not even notice. I will be moving our system this next month and adding 4+KW of solar panels. We are reloacating to our daughters property with two 5th wheels for a couple years until we build a granny flat. I plan on changing the setting to run off battery and solar primarily then use line power as backup. Very happy with it.

Peter:
Mine has been working very well also for the past two years though the Leaf batteries are only about 60% of original capacity. Line Power goes out from time to time and we may not even notice. I will be moving our system this next month and adding 4+KW of solar panels. We are reloacating to our daughters property with two 5th wheels for a couple years until we build a granny flat. I plan on changing the setting to run off battery and solar primarily then use line power as backup. Very happy with it.
Hey Wizardket, Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear your system is working well for you. One thing I meant to add to my last comment was that I did have the MPPT controller fail on me after 10 months, but growatt was able to remote diagnose it and sent a replacement module free of charge. I was able to replace the MPPT unit without too much difficulty. The symptom was if I remember correctly that it just wouldn't charge anything from the panels despite there being voltage. It was intermittent at first and would work for 5-10 days after cold booting the all in one unit, but then would fail and would require a cold reset. Gradually the interval increased to the point it was only lasting 1-3 days at which point I contacted them and they diagnosed and sent a replacement free of charge.

I also wanted to ask you another question, do you have any experience with putting two inverters on a single battery bank. Only one inverter would be using the MPPT charge controller and charging the batteries, but both inverters would be in power draw mode. I posted a question regarding this at the following thread but no one is replying. I really want to get my 3 phase pump onto the system.

EDIT: to be clear this is for an installation at a new property using Growatt brand batteries and not the Pylontech ones :)

Back