diy solar

diy solar

Battleborn caught on fire

Btw ppl cross posting this same story to another forum is confusing…. Different discussions same problem

thanks for this info here.

“As the video is now gone, I'll try my best to summarize the video, so this thread can continue. Please feel free to correct me if have something wrong.
Video shows a 270ah Battle Born with the corner of the case breached (blown out) and charred black. It seems like it has been off gassing, based on the reported smell in the battery shed where it had been stored.
Set up is eight 270ah batteries, configured as two 48 volt strings. Charging source is solar, via MPPTs
Video claims that the 3rd battery in each 4S string would always read 17 volts, regardless if a different battery was swapped out into that position.
MP”
That is what the guy said in the video, It does not make sense that bad wiring will cause two strings to behave the same way.
I wonder if the BMS is really made to handle 4-12V batteries in series.

That is what the guy said in the video, It does not make sense that bad wiring will cause two strings to behave the same way.
I wonder if the BMS is really made to handle 4-12V batteries in series.
I agree but since have cheaper batteries makes me worry…. 4s with 4 bms. The amps is the rating to my understanding after the voltage is selected when making the individual batteries. I have worried about the 4 bms but manufacturer says up to 4s. Bb are from looks built better then mine… so even more worry.

we may never know what went on ….. or if this is going to be common. With the high speed that things are made and sold now sometimes the purchaser is the field tester with some products. My himassi batteries arrived at 0% soc so doubt anything was checked at all after assembly.

thanks

If the FETs failed in the 'open' position, the whole battery string would not function. In the video, they show him using his remaining one 4S string and it's clearly working, notwithstanding the battery in third position is reading 17 volts.

Was it actually working? Was it working off of the batteries or pulling from the solar? I was not paying that much attention to that aspect when I watched it.

Was it actually working? Was it working off of the batteries or pulling from the solar? I was not paying that much attention to that aspect when I watched it.
Fair point - you may be right that he was running off solar....

Back