diy solar

diy solar

Beginner Needs Generator Recommendations

Sunpower11

Hello All,

Complete beginner looking for generator recommendations based on a few specific needs. I'm open to both solar and dual fuel, but mainly drawn to solar due to potential fuel shortages during an outage and lack of carbon monoxide concerns. I also have some mobility challenges so looking for something that is somewhat portable or that a neighbor could assist with. In terms of power needs, considering two options: 1) Ideally, backup power for whole house (1300 sq ft), 2) At a minimum, backup power for full size fridge + one full size freezer and possibly a window A/C unit). I am not so much worried about lights/electronics, just want to be able to save food and heat/cool house to a reasonable level. I would like to keep the cost at or below $4K, including installing a transfer switch if needed. I've been looking primarily at the EcoFlow Delta Pro or Delta 2 Max. Would either of these be sufficient? If so, what specific recommendations would you have? Also, are there any important questions I haven't considered?

My wife and I would like to stay in our current home for awhile, but aren't sure if we will be here long-term, so we're probably going to hold off on solar panels for awhile. Any recommendations on battery packs for solar? It seems like Ecoflow has fairly regular sales. Finally, I've learned a lot from Youtube, but still would appreciate advice of whether I should get an inverter, the most accurate method to calculate wattage, surge needs, etc. Thanks in advance for your insights!

have some mobility challenges so looking for something that is somewhat portable or that a neighbor could assist with
So why not a standard installation of solar, then? Or even if one does solar and adds a gasoline/propane generator in a box-store shed portability will be anon issue and lesser expensive options can be acquired.
My wife and I would like to stay in our current home for awhile, but aren't sure if we will be here long-term, so we're probably going to hold off on solar panels for awhile. Any recommendations on battery packs for solar? It seems like Ecoflow has fairly regular sales.
“in our current home for a while”
How long is a while? 6 months? 6 years?

Solar panels have never been less expensive, neither have batteries.

First you need to figure out how much power you use for the things you need to keep running- and for how long. Then you know both how much battery storage and what inverter output is required to support that.
Doing an installation of panels if you are planning to stay a while (1-5 years) can be recouped at property sale- if having the backup is important, do it sufficiently to support the need, don’t spend 100% or 150% of the money for 50% of the needs. That’s lying to yourself for a placebo.

FWIW a propane or gasoline generator in a shed is pretty inexpensive as long as you have fuel available.
would like to keep the cost at or below $4K, including installing a transfer switch if needed. I've been looking primarily at the EcoFlow Delta Pro or Delta 2 Max. Would either of these be sufficient? If so, what specific recommendations would you have? Also, are there any important questions I haven't considered?
You can do so much more than those suitcase solutions for $4k imho.
A simple MPP AIO has the automatic transfer switch built in to power a critical needs panel and you can use the built-in utility battery charger with a ~$650 champion generator if an emergency transpires where solar is insufficient.
Battery storage for at least 24 hours plus the solar plus the possibility of running a fossil fuel generator and that makes the most sense to me.

minimum, backup power for full size fridge + one full size freezer and possibly a window A/C unit).
That is a hefty load for a solar generator for any extended period.

A gas or propane dual fuel would work and you can store propane indefinitely and use a 100# tank.

You would need help moving a large propane tank around.

I use Champion brand generators but I am sure other people may have their own recommendations.

What is your climate like and coldest temp in winter?

If you already have propane or gas it might be possible to get a small standby generator installed for $4000.

They have generacs for $2000 which leaves $2000 for install. Wouldn't be possible in my area but in some places maybe if it can be installed with close access to a propane tank and main panel.

Running even a small A/C on solar and batteries goes over $4000 quick.

Battery + inverter + portable dual fuel that could run fridge and window A/C is possible but you're talking about a much more tenuous install with DIY troubleshooting and mobility requirements to move propane bottles and the 50lb generator.

They have generacs for $2000 which leaves $2000 for install
That is a solution that could work.

For the spend? I wouldn’t do it- there’s other ways of skinning that cat that allow for some solar power and batteries for a bit of multiple-days sustainability while still utilizing a gasoline/propane generator for more security.
1) Ideally, backup power for whole house (1300 sq ft), 2) At a minimum, backup power for full size fridge + one full size freezer and possibly a window A/C unit). I am not so much worried about lights/electronics, just want to be able to save food and heat/cool house to a reasonable level. I would like to keep the cost at or below $4K, including installing a transfer switch if needed.
@Sunpower11 - what are your thoughts at this point?
Have you begun to tabulate the wattage requirements for your minimum needs vs whole house?

The thing about doing a propane generator combined with an AIO, some battery storage, and a modestly small solar panel array is that the $4000 budget is a bit tight. But I think it’s doable as long as you thoroughly understand the package. An AIO does have a bit higher ‘idle consumption’ in general than some other solutions, BUT it contains an automatic transfer switch and autonomous functionality for a smaller price of entry than an echoflow with a lot more capacity (capacity which you will need) AND you can add more battery capacity down the road should you desire to do so much more economically than these ‘solor generators’ (sic) can offer.

Then there’s the up-front budget…

Perceived convenience and ease of use is what the echolflow type units are selling. But as you pointed out, someone with mobility challenges have to consider that aspect. A ‘built in’ solution circumvents moving heavy items and allows you to run the system at your whim without needing or depending on outside assistance.

Would just like to know what you are thinking, how and with what information we can help you move forward. Otherwise we’re all just standing on soapboxes with opinions.

A gas or propane dual fuel would work and you can store propane indefinitely and use a 100# tank.

You would need help moving a large propane tank around.

I use Champion brand generators but I am sure other people may have their own recommendations.

It sounds to me like a propane generator is the best option as well

I would approach this from the fuel generator side first ... put in "site fuel" (propane) of a capacity & service type that precludes mobility issues. This could be a 100lb upright, or any size up to 500gallons that a propane service will take care of for you; they usually rent the tank ($50/year in my area), so you can walk away from it if you leave the house in the future. That's site fuel done, with no mobility issues ...

Now put in a portable open-frame propane generator, and pick one that has the least amount of mobility issues, and the most amount of flexibility to tie in to house systems. In my case, I've settled upon the Westinghouse wgen9500df (about $1000 or thereabouts). This is not a true "standby" generator, but it carries massive loads *and* will run for thousands of hours, and costs next to nothing. Whereas, a true standby generator is really designed to come on for a few hours of a few outages per year, and power the whole house, requiring massive infrastructure and installation & service costs. The wgen9500df running on propane, is autostart (remote fob), autochoke, and has a "smart" port. If you are worried about noise, build a small noise shed around it (youtube vids abound). That's generation done, with no mobility issues ...

With the above, power "generation" is done ... have an electrician tie it into your house via a manual transfer switch. If more automation is desired, then add Westinghouse's ATS box, which ties in to smart port, and the system will turn on/off as power grid comes and goes. You'll want an electrician to understand your house wiring, and tie everything in correctly. This should add value to your house ...

I'd estimate about $2000 or less is used up, at this point ... possibly depends on electrician costs in your area. Have one come by and talk to you about all of this, after you show them your plan. There's still approximately $2000 of buffer left over, if costs swing wildly in your area ...

Now, if desired, start to add in solar equipment, of at least an inverter and battery-bank ... if you are handy, this is easily done as a "solar generator" (which is really an inverter & battery-bank) on a hand-truck (youtube vids abound). Note that, with an appropriate battery charger, this can be recharged from grid or fuel generator. If not handy, then buy a solar generator on sale ... it too, can be recharged from grid or fuel generator. This preserves your ability to add solar panels later, or at some other house location if you move. Plus, unlike a standby fuel generator, you can take the portable wgen fuel generator with you!

Hope this helps ...

Apologies for the delay, just logged in and saw all of the replies. Based on the feedback, it seems propane may be the best option, for the aforementioned reasons, with solar as a possible backup down the road. Currently looking at the Westinghouse wgen9500df. A few more details, we live in Northern VA area, so fairly temperate, winters can get cold but normally in the 20-40 F degree range. Wife is concerned about propane safety, but from what I've read, as long as the tanks are stored a safe distance from the home (minimum 10-15 ft from the house/property line) and away from combustibles, we should be OK. Any thoughts as to the cost to have a propane tank professionally installed? How about an electrician for the transfer switch? From what I've read it looks like the Westinghouse is transfer switch ready, so that should simplify the job. I'll need to put in a concrete slab under the tank, this seems like something I should be able handle as long as the professionals connect everything. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond, I really appreciate the info.

Transfer switch cost depends a lot on your panel location and access, does it require drywall opening etc.

Propane you have the option of lugging 20lb or 100lb bottles, or getting a supplier and tank set. If you're getting a supplier then call to ask first if they can set a tank just for a portable generator, I've never seen that. In California at least you don't have to pour concrete they'll just bring two footers and set them on the ground.

Westinghouse wgen9500df
I’d take the time to consider a Champion brand as a low-mid option, and a Honda or Yamaha as higher-priced options.
(I was employed at “a very large international retailer” for a few years; for certain items including generators this gave me an observational perspective on units sold versus customer returns. Champion seldom had returns)
Wife is concerned about propane safety
Propane is imho safer than gasoline fwiw
thoughts as to the cost to have a propane tank professionally installed?
With using propane for heat, in my region setting a tank is nearly free.
With low volume (backup gen), they usually won’t set a tank or will charge a monthly fee. A way around that is to literally buy a used tank and they will just charge you a bit higher price for filling and the labor time to connect it. 60’ of coated copper direct burial copper line is $5/ft locally, plus labor.
How about an electrician for the transfer switch?
The transfer switch itself is ‘pricey.’
I default towards an off-grid, grid-connected AIO. For the money it’s not life changing difference in cost plus it gives you the ‘facilities’ to add solar panels and more batteries later (a small capacity battery bank is necessary for 99% of these AIO’s- the few that run battery-less are pricey). These units including a fairly high-output utility charger built in alongside the obligatory solar charge controller.

What *I* would do is write down everything to get a transfer switch installed, sum the costs, and do a second sum-cost-list for an AIO install. Then look down the road and decide which spend benefits you the most, meets your budget constraints, and meets your intermediate (10-18month) goals.

Then buy that

I have a Delta 2 max. I use it to power my wfh setup. Got it for less than $1500 during prime day sales. It should be back down there for Black Friday sales. Its difficult to build something that is as compact and quiet via diy (2400W output, 2kWh, 1kW SCC, 50lbs). The problem is that the additional batteries cost a fortune ($900 at it's cheapest when you first register your d2m, and more often than not $1100 afterwards). What I did to extend my d2m capacity was get four Redodo 12V 100Ah LFP "mini" batteries at between $$275 and $225 over a couple months. So that's an additional 5kWh of power availe to connect via the two mppt ports. The problem is the ports can handle 11-60V and with the nominal 12V batteries it only gets about 109W input per port when they are fully charged and then dropping from there. However, if you hooked up a 48V rackmount battery you'd be able to get the full 1kW of charging (500W*2). So if your steady state needs are less than 1000W that's a possible option to "expand" from 2kWh to 7kWh or beyond. You'll need an external battery charger to charge the rack mounts with this config.

Back