diy solar

diy solar

best choices for off grid cabins

experimentalist

I have an off grid cabin that has no road access and only limited boat access in the summer.

I would love to get solar going out there. I currently use a generator and just use the 120v outlet from that for various electrical needs.

Looking for a system recommendation , but with batteries that a guy can actually manage. The cabin is basically just a summer cabin, so I have no way of keeping batteries warm/charged over a long northern ontario winter.

All advice is appreciated! Thank you!

How big is the generator you use? If it does everything you need you can just size a system to match that basically. Guessing if you're bringing everything by boat the generator can't be that big.

Since it sounds like you don't a lot or 240v split phase, a simple AIO and a single large capacity LFP battery, a couple kw of panels will likely be plenty.

So start with what's your generator size and think about where you can stick a couple dozen panels out there, and how to physically get the parts out there.

I run my cabin off just 2 panels, victron charge controller, 4 batteries and a 24v/4k aims inverter.
Solar is always working so the batteries stay charged year round. Just turn the inverter off when i leave.
Id do it all over again exactly the same (except id clean up my wiring), works fantastic.

Attachments

• 20190712_113438.jpg
    20190712_113438.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190712_113454.jpg
    20190712_113454.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190712_113150.jpg
    20190712_113150.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 10
Just a small system for little overnight stuff.

Other than that, I think the generator is a good solution for intermittent use places.

A couple of gas caddies some spare engine oil and a little silencing hut for the gen downwind of the place work good.

This is how my friends run their cabin. The eu2000i just runs 24/7 while they are there.

I have an off grid cabin that has no road access and only limited boat access in the summer.

I would love to get solar going out there. I currently use a generator and just use the 120v outlet from that for various electrical needs.

Looking for a system recommendation , but with batteries that a guy can actually manage. The cabin is basically just a summer cabin, so I have no way of keeping batteries warm/charged over a long northern ontario winter.

All advice is appreciated! Thank you!
I would rarely advise getting a "solar generator" or power pack but from your description of need it has some decided advantages. It is portable and could be taken home with you. The panels could stay at the cabin. Having something like this along with a bug generator (Honda inverter or similar) would make a good setup.

You have a couple of options.
1) Continue using Gas/LPG Generator
2) Invest in a small solar system with LFP Batteries that you can take with you (leaving panels/SCC, Inverter in place)
3) Using a portable Power Station (like a Bluetti) which can run most things and be recharged either by Solar or Genset as needed. You can take it with you when you go...

Keep in mind that LFP batteries charge fast compared to Lead or other chemistries. Example: If I allow my battery bank to hit 10% and I choose to run the Genset to charge my bank up to 100%, that will take 7 hours runtime but provides me with 5 days of battery run time. YES, 5 Days and I am 100% offgrid near Algonquin Park, year round as well... So Gen Time does play into it in Mid Winter (damned the long nights and cloud cover).

I just popped a small system into place for a fellow Offgrid Cabineer up here:
2x Q-Cell 405W Panels,
1x Midnite Kidd Solar Controller (150V/30A)
1x APC 3000W PureSine Low Frequency Inverter/Charger. Charger is capable of 45A Charge.
2x 24V/175AH LFP Battery packs.

The panels when properly angled do provide enough for the SCC to charge at 27-30A. They are on a pole mount that can be swivled & angled which is really important up here...

A similar system can be setup very affordable (skip the Midnite Kidd and use another cheaper brand) and can operate most things.

Note a 3000W Inverter will deliver 120VAC/25A +/- a bit and can comfortably operate a cabin or small place without issues.

I run my cabin off just 2 panels, victron charge controller, 4 batteries and a 24v/4k aims inverter.
Solar is always working so the batteries stay charged year round. Just turn the inverter off when i leave.
Id do it all over again exactly the same (except id clean up my wiring), works fantastic.
+1 This setup follows the K.I.S.S. principle.

Back