diy solar

diy solar

Best Location for Inverter and Battery (Considering Temperature)

forbin

I live in a region where the temperature goes below freezing for a few weeks during winter and above 100 degrees for a few weeks during summer, and I am trying to figure out the optimal location for my solar components and battery bank. I'm considering Sig Solar’s EG4 6500EX-48 inverters and EG4 LifePower batteries. The location options are (a) in a separate storage shed without heating or air conditioning, or (b) somewhere in the house, where fan noise could be an issue.

Would you:

A. Put the equipment in the shed and try to keep it warm in winter. (Maybe a propane heater?)

B. Put the equipment in the shed and try to keep it cool in summer. (Not sure how we would accomplish that.)

C. Both A and B

D. Put the equipment in the house where the temperature is likely to be moderate (because humans) but the fan noise could be a problem.

E. Something else.

In the basement or garage.
Somewhere climate controlled.
Sure
But don't forget ventilation

I have a large upstairs closet that may have room, but the only ventilation would be the door. Given the manufacturer's specified temperature operating ranges, I was hoping I could get away with the shed. The batteries are listed at 32 to 113F for charging, -4 to 131F for discharging. The inverter is listed at 14 to 104F operating range. I figured with some insulation I could stay within those ranges, but I suppose it's probably not wise to even get close to the min/max numbers.

I have a large upstairs closet that may have room, but the only ventilation would be the door. Given the manufacturer's specified temperature operating ranges, I was hoping I could get away with the shed. The batteries are listed at 32 to 113F for charging, -4 to 131F for discharging. The inverter is listed at 14 to 104F operating range. I figured with some insulation I could stay within those ranges, but I suppose it's probably not wise to even get close to the maximums.
When the ambient is hot is also when the sun is out and the inverter is going to be making heat.

I chose to put them close to the loads. To save money on wiring. The fan noise doesn't bother me. My 12k btu AC unit is much louder.

Seems like I'd be consuming a lot of my solar energy just keeping the solar equipment cool?
It might not be worth it, true
Set the temperature as wide as possible. Heater to like 40-50 and the AC to 80-90?

The battery temp range is wide, but they last longer if they aren't bouncing off the min and max temps.
Yeah, it's starting to look like I don't have any great options.
What about the inverter on the outside wall of the house (you might need to get a different inverter that is outdoor rated) to separate the heat source (inverter) and a battery sized shed with really thick insulation? You might get away with it, if you can keep it shady and possibly up against the house. I'd just watch the temp on the cold and hot days, but it might require re-engineering if it gets too hot/cold.

You could also build a partial enclosure on the outside of the battery shed for the inverter.

Why keep it warm in the winter? I have my equipment in an outdoor shed and the inverter fan runs constantly in the 100° heat, but works ok.

Condensation and dust, takes year off of the life of electronic equipment. If it's not outdoor rated, I would keep it in a dust free climate controlled environment.

The batteries really do not belong inside house proper; garage is typically the best place. Adding insulation and a mini-split heat pump to the shed might be your best bet.
That would be true for lead acid and other lithium types.
But these are LiFePo4 batteries. Safe to install anywhere.

That would be true for lead acid and other lithium types.
But these are LiFePo4 batteries. Safe to install anywhere.
Relatively safe, but not absolutely safe; you are still combining a fuel source and oxidizer. The main problem is that a battery adds to the fire risk for a building-- so if you have something that causes a fire the LFP battery can make that fire worse.

The secondary problem is the risk of poor connections, product quality, or just simple failures in the equipment.

LFP batteries might not be a higher risk of fire than an inverter (as an example), but the fact that the two devices are colocated amplifies the risk.

Along that line of thinking.
Maybe it would be best to keep all gas and electrical system's, outside of the house. And not build the house out of wood, either.

Back