diy solar

diy solar

“Solar power station” considerations for 2 x 6000XP + LiFePO4

solarenvy

Solar Enthusiast
Received my 2nd EG4 6000XP and finalizing my installation plan, which will certainly be shared for critical feedback. However my first challenge is the mounting location — this system will support a 1,000 sqft, 2 BDR weekend/vacation cabin in the hills of southwest Virginia. There is no basement, no garage, no utility closet or anywhere else inside that can discretely house the gear. I’m on grid (for now) with a 200A service.

I built a small (8’ x 4’ x 7’H) lean-to shed against one of the outside walls as the “solar power station”. It is about 30ft from the utility meter. I buried 4” conduit from the shed to the ground-mount PV array ~80ft away. The shed will house 2 x 6000XP inverters, 5 x EG4 LL-S batts in the EG4 rack, and all the needed panels, breakers, cutoffs, etc. The inside of the shed is sealed, insulated and vented. Inside walls are ply + cement board backing.

Summer temps can hit 90+ degrees and will hover around 30-40 in the winter, with the occasional deep freeze. Humidity is a thing all year. While I’ve done everything within reason to insulate and vent the shed, i don’t know what to expect during extreme heat or cold situations. I’m especially concerned about compounding heat in the summer temps with the system exhaust and excessive humidity. My questions:

- can anyone with similar setup or experience share any advice?
- is it safe to assume the system heat will keep the inside temp warm enough for the batteries in the winter?
- would an exhaust fan suffice for expelling heat in the summer?
- should I consider separate heating/cooling for temperature control (at the cost of power overhead)?
- what am I not considering?

Thanks in advance!

Which direction is it facing? how much direct sunlight will it be getting?
I have an 8x8 insulation floor top walls, under the barn roof nested beneath the stairs.
It will get cold enough to hang meat at 30 degrees outside so I installed a small heater to keep bank warm.
Had it go into shutdown mode one night and took 3 days to have enough charge to run the system again.

Which direction is it facing? how much direct sunlight will it be getting?
I have an 8x8 insulation floor top walls, under the barn roof nested beneath the stairs.
It will get cold enough to hang meat at 30 degrees outside so I installed a small heater to keep bank warm.
Had it go into shutdown mode one night and took 3 days to have enough charge to run the system again.
Thanks for the response. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. The shed faces west and gets some afternoon sun in the winter and several hours of direct sun (with some tree cover) in the summer. As I dug into this a lot more, I decided to go with a small "smart" space heater with automations to ensure the shed stays above ~40F. I'll use exhaust in the summer to keep the ambient temp somewhere comfortable...will reassess that if needed.

Back