diy solar

diy solar

Best mortar recipe for preventing erosion in snow trench in front of solar panels?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
We mixed up our first test batch of mortar yesterday. We're using sand we dig up on the property plus bags of cement and rainwater. For the first solar array I mixed up four 94 pound bags of cement and added sand with a 1:3 ratio. The intent is to stop erosion in the trenches I dug in front of the ground arrays to keep snow from building up in the winter and blocking the panels. But I want to keep the soil from eroding and compromising the ground mount. Each of the three I-beams is 8 foot in the ground with about a ton of concrete per beam.

I don't know much about mortar but there appear to be other kinds that might work better and allow me to use less cement if I add lime. I've seen some that are 1 part cement, 1 part lime, and 12 parts sand that apparently is Type M and good for retaining walls. Not sure how best to mix it for this application though. Advice?

Whatever we mix up next, we'll use our hands to mold it on the dirt and make it look like a nice swimming pool.

sand.jpg
trench.jpg

Lime is added to a mortar mix to make it sticky. ie; stick to brick, block and rock while its being laid. I dont think it will increase its strength but just the opposite. Might absorb water and freeze spall this winter.

Lime is added to a mortar mix to make it sticky. ie; stick to brick, block and rock while its being laid. I dont think it will increase its strength but just the opposite. Might absorb water and freeze spall this winter.

I just put a bit on the top edges to see how it does. It's hard but it does crack in places pretty easily when stepped on. If I can get away with a 1 cement to 12 sand ratio that will be helpful. I'll mix some of that up and try it using this website's recipe:

Type M mortar is the strongest type, with a strength of 2,500 pounds per square inch (PSI). This type is used in below-grade applications to create foundations and retaining walls. The downside to this mortar is that it doesn’t create a strong bond nor keep out water, so it’s not a good choice for above-ground applications.

• Ingredients: parts Portland, 1 part lime, and 12 parts sand
  • Strength: 2,500 PSI
Either way, whatever mortar I lather in there I would imagine will help prevent erosion. I guess we'll see.

Checked out the mortar again and it's a much darker color now and even harder. Very solid now. I think I checked on it too early the first time hence the cracking when I walked on it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back