diy solar

diy solar

Got our first DIY 3.5KW Rotating Bi-facial 7-Panel Ground Mount in the ground (only six more to go)

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
It has been years of posting on this forum, realizing I'm an idiot, learning something, then doing something else for a bit and forgetting everything I thought I previously learned, only to be an idiot again and have to re-learn what I thought I knew. Years, and all before we had actually built anything. But that changed today I am thrilled to report. It's just a single ground mount, but it wasn't easy making it happen.

We're in Alaska and completely off grid. We have a helicopter deliver our stuff and we take a mile long ATV trip one thousand feet uphill to get back to our place from the nearest dirt road.

We bought 50 of the LG440N2T-E6 bi-facial panels. They appear to be great panels and the warranty was top notch. Then right after we bought them, LG got out of the solar business. We had two break in shipping. We can't even find replacements anywhere. LG support never answered a single email and we had trouble finding an off the shelf ground mount that would take advantage of their bi-facial capability. So we broke out a CAD program and designed our own mount, made the design drawings with dimensions and such, sent it all to an engineer who said our design would work but told us to make it bigger, heavier, more expensive and bury the beams deeper and encase each in 1800 pounds of concrete. Each of the three I-beams that comprise each solar array are buried 8 foot in the ground and surrounded by 1800 pounds of concrete. That gets us a couple feet of snow clearance, so I will be doing a lot of dirt work to create a downhill in front of these arrays to keep snow from blocking them.

mount.jpg

eng.jpg

The concrete requirement blew us away. We're off grid. We have to mix our own mud. And we require a helicopter to deliver it all because that many trips in our tracked ATV would destroy it. Needless to say, our quote from a metal fabricator to order 7 of these arrays quickly became ordering only two of these arrays as we factored in all the costs including concrete. We couldn't afford more than two this go. We'll get the five other arrays next summer hopefully.

But today, we got the first mount in the ground. It rotates and locks the panels in 0 degrees straight up and down for our winters where we don't want snow on them, 6 degrees which is our best winter angle, 15, 23, 38, 71 and 90 degrees. We will insert two bolts on either end to secure the panels in a position for the wind.

angles.png

After all the grinding I had to do, followed by priming and painting, of the i-beams (two coats on the metal that is in the ground) I still have to add another coat of paint to the above ground part of the beams, weld the round "rotators" onto the assembly so that the holes on both sides match up and then grind, and prime and paint all the horizontal components. And then I can add plastic spacers and finally, finally, mount seven panels to this first mount.

Then do the same for the second array.

Then trench to the solar shed that is just about completed. Then install the battery bank, MPPTs, Quattro and bus bar in that shed and trench the 700 feet from the shed to our cabin. Then add the massive triplex aluminum wire into the 9 foot deep trench and hire an electrician to make sure it's all good and to do the grounding which is too cosmic for me especially given we will have two Victron Autotransformers in our mix.

Anyway, it's just a start but it's something tangible so we're pretty excited at the prospect of milking what little sun we get on 21 December (after I cut some trees) in the freezing cold. Many thanks to so many on this forum, and to Will, for getting us this far. Which isn't very far yet. But it's a start. Until I burn this forest down when I combine things that shouldn't touch in the coming weeks. But at least the beams will still be standing even if the trees are not.

mount solar south.jpg

Awesome build you got there! That has to be hard and very expensive to do in such a remote location. I hope you all the best with your project!!!

I live 62 degree north here in Finland so winter production is my main concern and focus. At summer we have plenty of sun available. So I got 44,1kWp of bifacials and did this:

first panels.jpgready front.jpg

Best spring production was 334kWh and best summer production 284kWh. Worst day production so far is about 45kWh, but my setup has been working only for 4 months now. I'm sure winter production is going to suck even my array is optimized for it. As this was hard enough to DIY for my first take on solar power, they are not adjustable in any way. As panels are the cheapest part of the build I have already ordered some 10kWp worth of bifacials and will make them seasonally adjustable (azimuth, maybe even tilt). That should help with winter production and get more afternoon/ evening sun in summer.

Impressive what lengths you are going to for this project.

How did you get the heavy equipment to your site? Looks like you have a pair of machines there…

I would go to lesser lengths if I could!

We bought a track loader and drove it up our trail. It got stuck on the trip, so we rented an excavator to help it along. Years later when we got tired of renting excavators, we bought one and drove it up. They've been invaluable for developing the property. A cement mixer attachment for the track loader has been super useful and mixes 34 x 60 pound bags of concrete at a time.

Awesome build you got there! That has to be hard and very expensive to do in such a remote location. I hope you all the best with your project!!!

I live 62 degree north here in Finland so winter production is my main concern and focus. At summer we have plenty of sun available. So I got 44,1kWp of bifacials and did this:

View attachment 162351View attachment 162352

Best spring production was 334kWh and best summer production 284kWh. Worst day production so far is about 45kWh, but my setup has been working only for 4 months now. I'm sure winter production is going to suck even my array is optimized for it. As this was hard enough to DIY for my first take on solar power, they are not adjustable in any way. As panels are the cheapest part of the build I have already ordered some 10kWp worth of bifacials and will make them seasonally adjustable (azimuth, maybe even tilt). That should help with winter production and get more afternoon/ evening sun in summer.

Your system is super awesome! Is that wood that you used for your vertical beams? How deep did you bury those? How much concrete did you use? Any issues with wind? Is that unistrut you used for the horizontal supports?

Originally I wanted to use standing deadwood logs to make our supports but was told it wouldn't work for our winds. Plus apparently you don't want to put wood in concrete since concrete acts like a sponge and would lead to the wood rotting quicker. I don't want to have to do this again and pick panels up off the ground so we opted for steel beams.

I'll be interested, as I'm sure you are, in your winter production numbers. Like you, we are optimizing for the winter. We only have 38KW of lithium right now, but we're hoping once we get all 49 panels up, that we'll still produce enough in the winter to power a heat pump to keep our cabin from freezing when we're not there to put wood in the wood stove. Just making enough power in the shoulder seasons will significantly cut down how much wood we must burn though which will make this system worth it. Although we'll see what reality thinks of my musings when we get it all built.

I considered not having our panels rotate and just having them straight up and down like you did for winter. There is so much extra sun outside of winter that they'd likely produce plenty of power even at 0 degrees throughout the summer. We might still do that on our remaining arrays to try to cut some costs.

EDIT: Just found your thread...

Last edited:
You can read all the details from my thread. Those used utility/telephone poles are CCA-treated and highly toxic. They should still be good for 30+ years buried in the ground. As you can see from my thread there are no vertical beams in my installation to avoid shadows. Wind can be a problem and so far my array has got through two small storms. The other had close to 70mph gusts, but came in a nice angle. Earlier in this week we had 50mph gusts with direct hit. I sure was worried, but although there are fallen trees all around my area, my array is still standing tall. Don't know when my luck will run out though.

One major thing in the winter is to be able to harvest every bit of sun in a very short time. I have already witnessed ~40% bifacial overproduction with -30C (-22F) and fresh snow on the ground. You should be prepared to have enough charging capability for it to happen, especially when you are off-grid and every kWh counts.

One major thing in the winter is to be able to harvest every bit of sun in a very short time. I have already witnessed ~40% bifacial overproduction with -30C (-22F) and fresh snow on the ground. You should be prepared to have enough charging capability for it to happen, especially when you are off-grid and every kWh counts.

This is exactly my thought process. Because I only have 3 hours or so to charge in the winter, I want a lot of panels producing a lot of energy, and I want all my equipment to be able to charge the batteries with every single ounce of it.

During the planning process we encountered a lot of people who didn't think this way. They were thinking of cables and MPPTs and charging rates that were more normal. And I was thinking "No, it must be able to charge the batteries with the full 28KW of power that might be generated." So everything is oversized for this scenario, banking on that limited light on the darkest day.

But weeks after that day, the system becomes ridiculous and batteries will stay 100% and so it will be time for looking into sand batteries and dump loads and such. But really, the only day that matters to me is 21 December.

And I may well learn that no matter what I do, that's a day for a wood gasifier generator!

If I had to guess, your tracking system will gain you some +35% more production in summer, but only 5-10% more in winter where it counts. +10% if you have nothing to make shadows to the backside (like I do), 5% if you have. The difference between having a tracker or not becomes really small when there's snow on the ground.

This is just my guess (and I haven't won on the lottery, so maybe I'm not that good at it), so don't get me wrong as I really love what you are doing. But if money and time is of essence, I think you should go with a rigid setup (or seasonally adjusted). Just add more panels to compensate if you like as they are the cheapest part of any build.

If you want to use deadwood as vertical posts and bury them with concrete, just use tar (a lot of it) as an insulator and your wood will be fine for decades.

You said somewhere you have uphill facing south from your array, which means you have downhill behind your array? That can take a lot of backside production away when there's snow on the ground. You might want to do some dirt moving there if possible.

If I had to guess, your tracking system will gain you some +35% more production in summer, but only 5-10% more in winter where it counts. +10% if you have nothing to make shadows to the backside (like I do), 5% if you have. The difference between having a tracker or not becomes really small when there's snow on the ground.

This is just my guess (and I haven't won on the lottery, so maybe I'm not that good at it), so don't get me wrong as I really love what you are doing. But if money and time is of essence, I think you should go with a rigid setup (or seasonally adjusted). Just add more panels to compensate if you like as they are the cheapest part of any build.

If you want to use deadwood as vertical posts and bury them with concrete, just use tar (a lot of it) as an insulator and your wood will be fine for decades.

You said somewhere you have uphill facing south from your array, which means you have downhill behind your array? That can take a lot of backside production away when there's snow on the ground. You might want to do some dirt moving there if possible.

In winter I'll have the panels straight up and down like your system to keep the snow off. Although I can set them to 6 degrees which is optimum for winter and maybe that will get a little more, or maybe straight up and down is better for reflection off snow. I won't know until I try it of course. I will be interested to see how much the generator comes on and if it's too much, we'll just burn some wood in the wood stove and we should have plenty of electricity for our basic things.

Went and checked the rotators to see if I could rotate from 0 to 6 and onward and see holes lining up on both sides. Didn't work out and I'm not sure why yet. Need to grab the hammer and maybe grinder and:

1. confirm the rotator holes match up, then mark the holes to make sure we're using the same hole on both sides for the zero position
  2. confirm the holes on the plate match up
I think I confirmed both above, but need to double confirm. Since the holes in the rotator are not equidistant to the center of the rotator, it might just be that I'm not putting the same rotator hole on the zero position on both sides.

Either way, we'll be able to lock in the 0 position, the 15 position and so that's good. I'd like to be able to lock in the 6 degree position too since it's the optimum angle for winter. But that is where the biggest issue seems to show up.

I can put one rotator in a 0 position, and you can almost see the 6 degree hole is open. Which makes sense since it's only 6 degrees of rotation off. But on the other side, putting any of the holes in the rotator in the 0 position does not show a corresponding 6 degree (almost open) hole. I'm not sure why.

plate.jpg
angles.png

Actually now that I see the image, I see that I was using the wrong hole for the zero hole on one of them...

Turns out the issue is I have the two end beams swapped. The tight groupings of holes should be on the panel side of things. No big issue (can still lock in 0, 6, 23 and 45 degrees), but something to remember when we put up the next arrays. Costly learning process. It all worked in the CAD program! Weird how much harder it is when lifting heavy stuff in the meat world though.

Once I get this sorted we'll weld those rotators into position and then we can use bolts to lock the panels down to keep the wind from twirling the array around its finger.

Last edited:
Back