diy solar

diy solar

BEWARE!!! First Solar 222v VOC

trad

Most solar panels seem to be 30-50 volts VOC but not these. Yes, this is from a single 465w panel. There is truckloads of these panels for sale on solarauction.com and the price will be very low. Link to specs

I had to really dig to find these specifications. For the auction, they only listed the first page

Just imagine buying a truckload of these and finding out after the fact that they are over 200 VOC. Wiring these into your solar charge controller with a 150 volt max solar input would be a problem.

Is this kind of panel common? I have never seen VOC this high from a single panel.

Last edited:
Is this kind of panel common? I have never seen VOC this high from a single panel.
Not common by volume in the retail commodity market.

Solar farms and other gridtie/microinverter installed systems are the likely market for these. Nevertheless even some newer MPP Solar devices come rated for 450VDC these days. Depending on region (low temp = higher VOC) some diy consumers might find these attractive.

Most solar panels seem to be 30-50 volts VOC but not these. Yes, this is from a single panel. There is truckloads of these panels for sale on solarauction.com and the price will be very low. Link to specs

I had to really dig to find these specifications. For the auction, they only listed the first page

Just imagine buying a truckload of these and finding out after the fact that they are over 200 VOC. Wiring these into your solar charge controller with a 150 volt max solar input would be a problem.

Instead of a wall of inverters you’d need a wall of solar charge controllers to run those bad boys even after paralleling some strings together or possibly great for micro inverters. I bet someone will get screwed by not reading the specs.

Instead of a wall of inverters you’d need a wall of solar charge controllers to run those bad boys even after paralleling some strings together or possibly great for micro inverters. I bet someone will get screwed by not reading the specs.
Yep, that someone was almost me.... Just press the big BID NOW button. What could possibly go wrong???

I wonder why the auction only listed the first page of the specs. They would have had to intentionally strip the second page out. Maybe they didn't want this information to be easy to find????

Although that’s not getting screwed.
That’s not knowing what they are doing.
Of course you are right.

You must have amazing discipline. Some of us are tempted with a full truck load of solar panels (350 per truckload) that are going for only a couple dollars per panel.

This auction is for 15 truckloads of 350 panels per truckload. Only the first truckload has any bids. Somebody will get a lot of very cheap solar panels.

ATTENTION EVERYONE ! High Voltage Panels are out there & can be used BUT BEWARE !
Please Read the article below for more Clarity... It is NOT AS SIMPLE AS SOME SUGGEST !

High Voltage Vs Low Voltage Solar Panels: Which is Better?

MORE INFO (CURRENT)

Most powerful solar panels 2024 (Jan.8.2024)

(prepare to be Gobsmacked !)

Now the Most Efficient Panels (current) coverage: NOTE THE SUB-SECTION on Shading and on Efficiency VS temperatures.

Last edited:
AS ALWAYS! Please read all specifications before you buy anything. If it's not readily accessible it's probably a lie! Don't believe the sales person and make sure the sheet you are reading is from the manufacturer.

Also a side note kinda relevant.
Many folks just look at Solar Panel Prices and go for the cheapest they can find. That's OK but sometimes it's not a good option.
Many Used Panels off solar farms are OK in clear open skies but crap in shade.
The different Types of Panels out there all have their good & weak points, many are great with sun but horrible with shade, others can handle shade much better and generate more power.

Case in point:
My 1st Array is Canadian Solar CSP Panels (Poly). They are amazing in full sun but shade on one part of a panel and poof no generation.
My 2nd Array is QCell Split 66/132 Mono Cells continue to produce as it will only block the sub-string that is shaded and the rest keeps generating...

People really need to consider the environment they will have their panels in and plan/build accordingly.

The auction finished and only a few truckloads received bids. For example

High bid $500 for truckload of 350 solar panels.
Truckload freight $3,300.

Panels are located near LA, so shipping in California could be under 1000. Shipping price of 3300 would be for Chicago, Dallas or Seattle.

We've paid < $0.20/W delivered for some new panels. Seeing $0.22 to $0.27 currently.

How many dollars per watt are you looking at? Could be worth buying inverter(s) which accept the voltage.

Series connection is convenient, and one or two strings per MPPT keeps it simple without fuses.
If your panels are 1A apiece, you are going to need to parallel 10 to utilize an inverter. So plan for combiner box and fuse costs.

Upside, shade on one panel doesn't affect others (or only affects 2, if you put 2x 220V in series.)
Downside, can't be used anywhere RSD is required. Max 80V allowed between any 2 wires.

If your panels are 1A apiece
I laughed at this🤫
I have ~40 thinfilm 1.1A 98VOC panels I got for free. Very limited range of commodity mid shelf AIO’s that work good with those. You have to plan well - or buy $50k of prewired combiner boxes LOL
fun irrelevant fact: they are probably going to relegated to a ‘privacy fence’ and direct feed resistance heaters in a 25kWh sand battery, damn the SCC’s.

Back