diy solar

diy solar

Beware of the APEXIUM BOX Connectors

So for anyone else following along I emailed Jenny about potentially buying boxes and wanting replacement connectors in case I make a bad crimp...
Replacement are available, from US stock.

@GummiSolar good luck in rebuilding, again I'm glad you caught the problem when you did.
Please ask for help if you are unsure on things.
If I were you I'd order replacement connectors from Docan, get a proper crimper and make some new cables. While you're at it pick up and FLIR camera so you can check all your connections and components for excess heat. My UniT has saved my ass from potential disaster once so far.

I still firmly believe this in not an Apexium or Docan issue. I've never dealt with Apexium, I wouldn't hesitate to order from Docan again, 4 smooth transactions in the past couple years.

I apologize if I sound like an ass, it's not my intention, I get frustrated seeing repeat threads like this that place blame where it shouldn't be placed.
People are missing the point and Jenny just proved it. She doesn't know the name of the manufacturer of the connector! I have plenty of spare connectors! Apexium refuses to tell me or they don't know either.

Last edited:
Which means that connector had 100% of the current from the stack running through it. So any minor imperfections would cause your problem in a hurry.

Crazy me, I would replace all the connectors and box feed-throughs with a bolt version or the Futronics. The other thing I would do is add bus bars and go from each battery to that.

Did anyone else notice the wires in the cable were not so fine?
My personal system uses Futronic connectors and it goes directly to bussbars like you mentioned! But it really shouldn't matter. Many systems use the parallel method and it works fine.

I did notice that the strands are very thick and not fine. Do you think it makes a difference with the resistance?

Strands only really make a difference in flexibility. Just an interesting tidbit is all.
They look closer to those Kuka cable connectors on page 2, but still not quite (those didn't have that white band on them). Maybe they're a generic knockoff.

No, but some damege was done after removing the cover
I thought maybe it wasn't tight enough when first looking at the photos. When I use my hydraulic crimper, the first few inches of cable are very tight and stiff.

It is possible the crimp was not tight enough, heat buildup at the crimp which caused the connector to fail. The connector is tension loaded (friction type connection for lack of a better term) for the terminal, excessive heat will cause heat related failure of the friction tension on the terminal. This is similar to male/female electrical connections using a friction type of connection. Excessive heat will cause less friction and resulting failure.

People are missing the point and Jenny just proved it. She doesn't know the name of the manufacturer of the connector! I have plenty of spare connectors! Apexium refuses to tell me or they don't know either.

I don't need extra connectors because I have plenty.
You made me aware that this type of battery connector is available and that failure could occur. Your one instance of failure however has not established a pattern but it certainly is a good to know piece of information.

What happens with these "spring loaded" "Flexcoils finger technology" when the springs are subject to heat. Do they lose their "spingyness" and therefore their "gripping" power thus further decreasing the effective contact (and increasing resistance)
Yes

You made me aware that this type of battery connector is available and that failure could occur. Your one instance of failure however has not established a pattern but it certainly is a good to know piece of information.
Okay, that is all! Take precautions everyone. I am not saying dont use this battery case but beware!

Looks very similar to the Degson 250A connectors that EG4 uses in their PowerPro batteries.
I lied: Similar, but not the same. Kinda hope it's not inter-matable!

The Degson 250A connectors will rotate after insertion. Also, if you use enough force and the proper twisting motion you can uncouple the latch and remove the connector without resorting to the button (by damaging the tiny little latch piece, barely visible in the second picture. Just plug them in forcefully till they snap and leave them alone.

FWIW: That's an M8-12.25 thread on the panel mount connector tab.IMG_7036.jpegIMG_7040.jpeg

Reactions: D71
I don't think that the crimp is theproblem. There is obvious crimping going on. Other wise the metal would be completely round. I think the problem might be the connector was damaged higher up or the plug was not inserted all the way in. Look at the pictures I have attached. There is no heat damage where the crimp is!

He use a 70mm2 in a 50mm2 connector. (Force in)
Its not crimp correct and wire parts stuck out under need .
If some wire are on the top lose can by overheating the top of the connector burning in

Even if you only do 100a its still make heat with a bad connection .
And its bad .

I do not think its the connector self .
Only if its use a lot and worn out

My personal system uses Futronic connectors and it goes directly to bussbars like you mentioned! But it really shouldn't matter. Many systems use the parallel method and it works fine.

I did notice that the strands are very thick and not fine. Do you think it makes a difference with the resistance?

All that matters for resistance is the cross-sectional area, so no.

What it can affect is how easy the cable bends and if the copper wasn't annealed before use it makes it more likely be stiff and have strands break right below the crimp.

It looks like the strands got pretty hot right below the connection, so I would cut 6 inches or so of the cable away before crimping a new one. Or just use a new cable.

Last edited:
This thread startled me, as I'm using similar connectors on my DIY battery box: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrxL1bW. I'm using the 200A version with 1/0 wire. I don't believe they're the same connectors though, as mine don't require a crimp. With mine you insert the wire into the connector plug and as you tighten the base it holds the wire in place. Before installing it I tested the resistance with my YR1035+ between the metal terminal and the crimped lug at the end of the cable. I don't remember what the exact value was now, but it wasn't out of line. Not enough to make me worry about the connection overheating.

This thread startled me, as I'm using similar connectors on my DIY battery box: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrxL1bW. I'm using the 200A version with 1/0 wire. I don't believe they're the same connectors though, as mine don't require a crimp. With mine you insert the wire into the connector plug and as you tighten the base it holds the wire in place. Before installing it I tested the resistance with my YR1035+ between the metal terminal and the crimped lug at the end of the cable. I don't remember what the exact value was now, but it wasn't out of line. Not enough to make me worry about the connection overheating.

I just don't know if I would trust it to keep hold of the wire with 200amps running through it once it starts to heat. Seems like a crimp would be more trustworthy.

IMG_6983.jpeg

That is a lot of connectors …. in your picture are the connectors in picture same as the 1 that burned up?

Was this battery not your personal battery? You stated “your personal system has Futronic.” You previous stated “woke up and was on fire… smoking“ …..who attached the battery leads to the battery? Was it you?

That is a lot of connectors …. in your picture are the connectors in picture same as the 1 that burned up?

Was this battery not your personal battery? You stated “your personal system has Futronic.” You previous stated “woke up and was on fire… smoking“ …..who attached the battery leads to the battery? Was it you?
I'm sure he can speak for himself, but I interpreted his words contextually to indicate that he had built his own batteries without the Apexium box, and in those he used the Futronic connectors. His Apexium box did not use the same connectors but came with connectors of an as-yet undetermined manufacturer.

On another note, I had also considered purchasing the Apexium box, and am thankful now that I was unable to transfer funds internationally, preventing the purchase. In my case, I learned a little more about the company in the process, discovering a fair bit of rivalry exists between the famed "J..." agent and other agent(s) of the same company who might happen to take one's order online. Prepare for some strife if you should be so unfortunate as to email one then order from the other, thinking it's all the same as it's the same company. They are jealous of their commissions. I really liked the extreme helpfulness of the one who took my order, even though I had never seen her name mentioned on this forum before...she should get more reputation.

View attachment 223190

Yes, These are the same connectors as the one that caught FIRE.

The battery was not mine. But one that I assembled and sold. The accurate quote was from the customer

Believe me this is a serious issue that I'm trying to share, I want to get to the bottom of this.

Many people are commenting on the crimping. I would like to know who actually makes the connectors Apexium and Docan are selling. How does one validate the quality and true specifications? Maybe the cheapest answer isn't the best.

I'm sure he can speak for himself, but I interpreted his words contextually to indicate that he had built his own batteries without the Apexium box, and in those he used the Futronic connectors. His Apexium box did not use the same connectors but came with connectors of an as-yet undetermined manufacturer.

On another note, I had also considered purchasing the Apexium box, and am thankful now that I was unable to transfer funds internationally, preventing the purchase. In my case, I learned a little more about the company in the process, discovering a fair bit of rivalry exists between the famed "J..." agent and other agent(s) of the same company who might happen to take one's order online. Prepare for some strife if you should be so unfortunate as to email one then order from the other, thinking it's all the same as it's the same company. They are jealous of their commissions. I really liked the extreme helpfulness of the one who took my order, even though I had never seen her name mentioned on this forum before...she should get more reputation.
Yes, I originally built Seplos batteries. They were the only game in town for awhile.

My biggest problem with the connectors is I can not identify the manufacturer to validate the quality. It burnt up, maybe from a bad crimp, minute damage, bad wire, too much amperage? The connector is a fake with no specification sheet and the seller can't even name the manufacturer! BEWARE!!

Last edited:
Yes, I originally built Seplos batteries. They were the only game in town for awhile.

I then purchased 30 more cases from Apexium/Docan. While building and selling these battery cases I have discovered quality control issues, and now the issue with the connector.

My biggest problem with the connectors is I can not identify the manufacturer to validate the quality. It burnt up, maybe from a bad crimp, minute damage, bad wire, too much amperage? The connector is a fake with no specification sheet and the seller can't even name the manufacturer! BEWARE!!
Okay so now we are getting some where. I didn’t know you were a battery builder selling these assembled units. You do the assembly. I can understand why you are upset and you are on the hook with a customer. Did you crimp the lead ?

Okay so now we are getting some where. I didn’t know you were a battery builder selling these assembled units. You do the assembly. I can understand why you are upset and you are on the hook with a customer. Did you crimp the lead ?
It sounds like they were pre-made by whoever and came with the box.

No , I did not crimp the lead. I provided the connectors and the solar installation company made the crimps.

I only build batteries. I have found most people want the connectors to make the leads themselves.

The damage that was done I would also expect that from a DIYer if it is the crimp. Not from an experienced installation company. Again this is irrelevant to the fact I cannot provide a specification sheet, if I knew who the manufacturer was, I can at minimum say its an ISO 9001 compliant manufacturer

IMG_6994.png

IMG_6993.png

No , I did not crimp the lead. I provided the connectors and the solar installation company made the crimps.

I only build batteries. I have found most people want the connectors to make the leads themselves.

The damage that was done I would also expect that from a DIYer if it is the crimp. Not from an experienced installation company. Again this is irrelevant to the fact I cannot provide a specification sheet, if I knew who the manufacturer was, I can at minimum say its an ISO 9001 compliant manufacturer

How does that work? The logistics? Are the end customers off-grid?

Since diy batteries are not UL listed I can't figure it.

View attachment 223250

View attachment 223251

That's the empty box kit right?

Screenshot_20240619_210204_Chrome.jpg

And, I would actually think a DYIer would take more care rather than less since they would be eating their own dogfood and sleeping with the batteries close and personal.

Installers unless they are a one man show tend to be low payed don't give a flying f%$^ about quality.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back