diy solar

diy solar

Bifacial Panel Questions

blrmaker

I have searched around both here and the interwebs and I can’t seem to get a definitive answer.

I am looking and installing 10 Hyperion 400W panels in series running to the 3rd MPPT on my 18Kpv inverter. When calculating the total VOC and ISC for these panels, should I calculate for just the front generation, or should I use the rear side extra calculations? With the backside gain, according to the spec sheet, there is a potential to exceed the max amperage of the MPPT of 15 amps.

I am planning on putting these panels on a pergola pool side at the optimal south facing and 26 degree angle.

So how do we determine the proper VOC and ISC when it comes to bifacial panels?

Attachments

• Hyperian Spec front.png
    Hyperian Spec front.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Hyperian Spec Back.png
    Hyperian Spec Back.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 1
Notice that that the Voc almost doesn't change at all (37.22-37.23) with different levels of bifacial contribution.
I would assume the 400W and 405W behave similarly. So don't worry about that one.

The Isc is a different matter, as you pointed out. You will have to guess what the bifacial contribution will be 5%-25%.

there is a potential to exceed the max amperage of the MPPT of 15 amps
Which MPPT has an Isc limit of 15A?

EG4 18Kpv Spec Sheet shows 15A.
1717621569058.png

Now that I read it, it says "max usable input current". Does that mean it can go over but only use the max of 15A?

With the backside gain, according to the spec sheet, there is a potential to exceed the max amperage of the MPPT of 15 amps.
My expectation (based on ignorance mostly and an intuition on how these things *should* be designed) is that when an MPPT reaches its max current, it simply doesn't pull more than that and allows the voltage to rise slightly. This moves the panel slightly off the max power point, but protects the MPPT limits. In other words, the MPPT will protect itself against over current.

It seems like it would be stupid for the MPPT to load the panels to more current than it can handle, but maybe it can be that stupid.

So how do we determine the proper VOC and ISC when it comes to bifacial panels?
The Voc doesn't change. The Isc will go up with bifacial gain, but I think the MPPT will deal with it.

Mike C.

blrmaker - I see you are using the same panels I have, Hyperion 400 w, 500w bifacial. Curious to see what kind of output you get. I have 4 of these and am getting less than half of what they are rated for. Individually I measure VOC of 32.4v. My string of 4 in series only gets about 700 watts. Pretty disappointing results for me. Check a few and see if you get a similar VOC. Thanks.

blrmaker - I see you are using the same panels I have, Hyperion 400 w, 500w bifacial. Curious to see what kind of output you get. I have 4 of these and am getting less than half of what they are rated for. Individually I measure VOC of 32.4v. My string of 4 in series only gets about 700 watts. Pretty disappointing results for me. Check a few and see if you get a similar VOC. Thanks.

This has already been solved. No need to bother others gathering irrelevant data as the Voc they measure will be specific to their conditions, not yours. Hot panels typically see about a 10% drop in Voc.

diy solar

diy solar
Back