diy solar

diy solar

Big Battery 24v Hawk Max (5.2Kw) stopped working (brand new)

MarkLeid

Just installed a solar kit a week ago (9/30/22). MPP LV2424 (green) with Big Battery Hawk Max (5.2Kw). Note- have not installed PV yet as still waiting on permit. Hooked everything up as recommended and set LV2424 parameters. Used AC in.
Everything worked fine. Only had a small load on the system (couple of lights) just to make sure it was working ok.
Battery went into charge mode yesterday (LV green light flashing). I expected to see it show fully charged that evening.
Instead everything was off. Battery panel and switch were dark. Put it on the charger that was shipped with the battery but no effect. Will not power on anymore.
I'm working through this with the vendor but no answers as of yet. Want to see if anyone has any ideas. The Hawk Max has a "no open" policy and no reset buttons.
Note: Picture was when it was working!
Solar System.jpg

I did. Turned out it had a bad BMS. Very annoying that I had to repair under warranty as it was bad from the day it shipped. Took over a month to get it repaired.

I did. Turned out it had a bad BMS. Very annoying that I had to repair under warranty as it was bad from the day it shipped. Took over a month to get it repaired.

Yea Big Battery's QA isn't great. I have purchased 8 units (2 Max 2s and 6 regular hawks) and 1 was defective out of the box and had to be returned full stop.

Another one has a bad volt meter LED display and I am one week into the support process. With just one email reply back so far.
Which really is annoying since the other 6 units and the replacement unit work fine. But I mean why can't they just fire these things up and test them before they ship.

Yea Big Battery's QA isn't great. I have purchased 8 units (2 Max 2s and 6 regular hawks) and 1 was defective out of the box and had to be returned full stop.

Another one has a bad volt meter LED display and I am one week into the support process. With just one email reply back so far.
Which really is annoying since the other 6 units and the replacement unit work fine. But I mean why can't they just fire these things up and test them before they ship.
Hello there colemab, I have just purchased two Big Battery 24v Hawk Max 2 units. I don't have much information from them yet, manuals, installation recommendations, etc. I was wondering if they were difficult to install and hook up. I have attempted to find more information from the company but haven't had much success yet. Thank you!

Back