diy solar

diy solar

EG4 24v battery alarms?

Singing Whale

First time posting here. Sorry if this issue has already been discussed but I searched for a while and couldn't find anything on it.

Having an issue with 2 of the EG4 24v batteries I just connected. Everything is going into an MPP lv2424. System has been up and running for the better part of a year with another battery (3kw Big Battery), but this morning I woke up to find my inverter had shut down due to low voltage. No big deal, just got to flip the breaker on the battery and it should power back up (at least thats how it usually works!), but I guess the battery was just a bit too drained. Seemed like the perfect time to connect two new batteries, a t class fuse, and a shunt that just came in the mail.

So I make my cables and connect it all to the bus bars. My plan was to use one of the new EG4 batteries to power on the system and run the generator to bring it up to full charge, then do the same thing with the other EG4 tomorrow, and the Big Battery the next day before running them all together. Is this an okay way to do it or is there a better way?

None of my plan worked, however. I hit the breaker to one of the EG4s on and watch the SOC LEDs light up, I hear multiple clicks at the inverter but it doesn't power on, and then the alarm light on the battery glows red. Hmm. I turn the breaker off and try the other EG4. Same exact thing. Then I remembered that I didn't put the resistor on the negative lead for start up...and the battery seems to work! The display on the lv2424 glows green, and I figure I'm good... but no. Once I reconnect the cable without the resistor it's the same 'click click click click click' followed by an alarm.

By now a good hour has gone by so I figured I'll try the Big Battery again. I hit the breaker on and the lv2424 powers up.

Anybody have an idea of what might be going on with the EG4 batteries? I tried customer service and they suggested that I keep the resistor on since it powered up with it, lol. I had a hard time believing that that's a proper answer and the lady on the phone said to try and call back and hope for a different tech.

Would greatly appreciate any help!

Check Battery Voltage:
Ensure that each EG4 battery has sufficient charge before attempting to connect it to the inverter. Low voltage can cause the inverter to shut down or trigger an alarm.

Correct Cable Connections:
Double-check all your cable connections, ensuring that positive and negative terminals are properly connected. Verify that there are no loose or damaged connections.

Use of Resistor:
You mentioned that the system worked when you used a resistor on the negative lead during startup. Make sure you are following the manufacturer's recommendations for connecting and starting the batteries. If a resistor is required, ensure it is properly installed.

Inverter Compatibility:
Confirm that the EG4 batteries are compatible with the MPP lv2424 inverter. Check the inverter's manual or contact the manufacturer to ensure that the battery specifications match the inverter requirements.

Battery Protection Features:
The red alarm light on the EG4 batteries may indicate a protection feature has been triggered. Refer to the battery manual or contact the manufacturer to identify the specific issue causing the alarm.

Firmware/Software Updates:
Check if there are any firmware or software updates available for your inverter that might address compatibility issues with the EG4 batteries.

Monitor Voltage and Current:
Use a multimeter to monitor the voltage and current during the startup process. This can help identify any irregularities or voltage drops that may be causing the inverter to shut down.

Back