diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 life power4 battery won’t wake up

Leesbac

I have 8 eg4 life power 4 batteries and they all have gone into the bms sleep. We are having trouble getting them out. We have parrelled another 48volt battery and still will not wake it up. Also have an eg4 charger hooked up to a generator to charge the batteries and will not kick on either. Need some guidance here. Thx Shelby

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0461.jpeg
    IMG_0461.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 24
Ain't got no gas in it...

Only thing I can think of is the reset button. All breakers are off in your picture, though. Might need BMSTest app to help awaken them when voltage is applied

Looking at the picture of the battery stack it appears all battery breakers are off except for the third battery from the bottom of the stack. The SOC and Run lights are lit which indicates the BMS is awake and working.

Are you using the EG4 Charge-Inverter or some other charger?
Can you provide a wiring diagram of the batteries and how the charger is wired in as well as the charger settings you are using on the charger?
Can you also provide a screen shot of the BMS_Test software while monitoring the battery (see picture) as you try to charge it. In particular what is the the state of the "CMOS" indicator

Screenshot 2024-03-28 091860.png

I have 8 eg4 life power 4 batteries and they all have gone into the bms sleep. We are having trouble getting them out. We have parrelled another 48volt battery and still will not wake it up. Also have an eg4 charger hooked up to a generator to charge the batteries and will not kick on either. Need some guidance here. Thx Shelby

I want to make sure that I am reading this right. Were new batteries added to the bank and then this happened or were all batteries present prior to this?

I want to make sure that I am reading this right. Were new batteries added to the bank and then this happened or were all batteries present prior to this?
We did add 2 additional batteries and then a few days of no sun the batteries went to zero. The chargeverter is not working either. As soon as you flip the breaker on the battery the alarm comes on and the amperage goes to zero on the chargeverter.

Looking at the picture of the battery stack it appears all battery breakers are off except for the third battery from the bottom of the stack. The SOC and Run lights are lit which indicates the BMS is awake and working.

Are you using the EG4 Charge-Inverter or some other charger?
Can you provide a wiring diagram of the batteries and how the charger is wired in as well as the charger settings you are using on the charger?
Can you also provide a screen shot of the BMS_Test software while monitoring the battery (see picture) as you try to charge it. In particular what is the the state of the "CMOS" indicator

View attachment 205304

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpeg
    IMG_0079.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 5
Attached is the charger we are using. we tried connecting it right to the battery but it keeps on tripping the system still and reduces the charger to 0 Amps. This is an offgrid camp so I don’t have access to send anymore pictures as I am currently out there right now.

With the BMS_Test software (if you can communicate with a battery) will tell a great deal about the state of the battery including the individual cell voltages, any alarm conditions and the status of the Charge and Discharge MOSFETS.

What do you mean by "Tripping the system"?

With the BMS_Test software (if you can communicate with a battery) will tell a great deal about the state of the battery including the individual cell voltages, any alarm conditions and the status of the Charge and Discharge MOSFETS.

What do you mean by "Tripping the system"?
As soon as you hit the breaker on the battery the alarm comes back on and the generator gets a load and the charger goes to zero charging amps. I will be back at camp Saturday and try to hook up the computer.

If the battery alarm is on then the BMS is probably turning off the Charge and Discharge MOSFETS. With the Charge MOSFET Off the charger has no where to send current so it would go to zero amps.

You need to use the BMS_Test software to connect to the battery to determine the issue.
Once you establish communications with the battery the software will tell you exactly (hopefully) what error is causing the alarm light to come on.
Once you can get the software to talk to the battery and hopefully tell you exactly what the alarm is then EG4 (@EG4_Jared) can work with you to solve the problem.

Once EG4 (@EG4_Jared) has an idea of the error they can help you with a remedy.

Screen shots of the BMS_Test software screen would be helpful.

Any distributor of the EG4 LifePower4 battery can supply you with the cable necessary to connect to your computer. If not I can help you to build a cable that will work.

When you get them back on (by probably disconnecting & charging 1 at a time)
make sure you change your cut off voltage/state of charge to be higher so they don't do this again..

When you get them back on (by probably disconnecting & charging 1 at a time)
make sure you change your cut off voltage/state of charge to be higher so they don't do this again..
We disconnected the batteries and tried one at a time from eg4 chargeverter. The setting are 56 volts and trying to push 10 amps. Each time we flip the battery on the generator receives the load and then the battery throws back on the alarm which won’t allow a charge to go through. Definitely frustrating.

There is another thread on this forum that may be of help including a pdf file of instructions provided by EG4

On this thread I explain how I made my cable for battery communications:

Cliff notes version:
Using the BMS_Test software select the "Config" tab. Enter 888888 as the password and the tab will populate with a number of controls. On the lower right "Reading and writing MOS adhesive fault codes" click the "Read" button. The "Value" should read 00. If not the pdf from the above link will explain.
I had a similar issue and first entered FF for the "Value" and clicked the "Set" button. I then entered 00 and clicked the "Set" button. Then click the "Read" button to very that 00 got set. Hopefully this will clear any alarms and the CMOS and DMOS will turn back on.

A couple of further questions would be whether the chargeverter is connected to a shared bus during this event, or if the battery is entirely isolated with the chargeverter attached directly to the battery terminals. Additionally, upon integrating new batteries into the system, I would check to see that each battery's voltage is within 0.5 volts of the others by conducting tests with a multimeter at the battery terminals while they are isolated.

A couple of further questions would be whether the chargeverter is connected to a shared bus during this event, or if the battery is entirely isolated with the chargeverter attached directly to the battery terminals. Additionally, upon integrating new batteries into the system, I would check to see that each battery's voltage is within 0.5 volts of the others by conducting tests with a multimeter at the battery terminals while they are isolated.
We did hook the chargeverter directly to the battery so it was fully isolated. Loads up the generator and alarm comes back on. I am told from your support to now try to Jump with another 48v battery and use the chargeverter at the same time. Is this something you would advise to do?

We disconnected the batteries and tried one at a time from eg4 chargeverter. The setting are 56 volts and trying to push 10 amps. Each time we flip the battery on the generator receives the load and then the battery throws back on the alarm which won’t allow a charge to go through. Definitely frustrating.
the last fix is gonna be open up the battery and charge each cell individually to high enough for it to actually turn on
you can multimeter each cell and check what the actual voltage is which would be interesting to do at least

Back