diy solar

diy solar

Big Battery?

WattAboutThat

I am a newby to solar, and had intended to buy bigbattery kong for my design, why the negative feedback on bigbattery? I watched a lot of videos and they seem very professional.
Just seeking clarification, to guide my decision.
thx

The owner made an account on here a while back and threw a hissy fit over something stupid. It was completely unprofessional, and is why I personally wouldn't do business with them.

To be fair, there's plenty of people on here who are using their products with good results.

why the negative feedback on bigbattery?
I did not see the hissy fit by the owner, but years ago he did business with an acquaintance and around the same time he spent some time in jail for copyright violations. Some people have had good luck, and there are those that say the copyright problem was overzealous Microsoft prosecution. Do your research and form your own conclusion.

Seems to me they build their batteries with used or second-rate cells. [shrug]
I crossed them off my list early on, was encouraged to build my own by forum members here.

I crossed them off my list early on, was encouraged to build my own by forum members here.
Big Battery uses 'new' battery cells. Their Battery Evo products are mostly outfitted with 'used' cells, hence lower price point. Some have new cells. My Evo batteries work just fine.

Big Battery uses 'new' battery cells. Their Battery Evo products are mostly outfitted with 'used' cells, hence lower price point. Some have new cells. My Evo batteries work just fine.
Ah yes, their supplier, Battery EVO. That's the one I always forget. I talked at length with those folks, seriously looked at their product as an option.
In the end, it was still cheaper and better to build my own. The used battery thing really turned me off. And BB was priced too high.

Somehow they're in bed together, both claim independence from the other. But the BMS in the Big Battery product has 'battery evo' stamped right on it.

I don't have a need/want for either one. YMMV [shrug]

Love my Evo's !

But I went in with eyes wide open to get what I wanted which was the older A123 pouch cell batteries

Battery Evo had em and I'm very happy to have gotten them before they are no longer available

Ah yes, their supplier, Battery EVO. That's the one I always forget. I talked at length with those folks, seriously looked at their product as an option.
In the end, it was still cheaper and better to build my own. The used battery thing really turned me off. And BB was priced too high.

Somehow they're in bed together, both claim independence from the other. But the BMS in the Big Battery product has 'battery evo' stamped right on it.

I don't have a need/want for either one. YMMV [shrug]
It would seem strange that they would say that they are two separate entities when they fabricate the Evo products along with BB products in the same facility.

It makes me chuckle when people talk about Evo's 'used' batteries as if that were a bad thing.
Whenever a DIYer waxes poetically about the virtues of LifePo4 batteries, it's always 'they have a life cycle of up to 2000, 4000, 5000 cycles! or from the EG4 server battery description. *'tested at 7,000 deep discharge cycles to 80% DoD. Fully charge and discharge this battery daily for over 15 years without issue'.* Even Battle Born doesn't make that much of a claim. 3000-5000 cycles for their batteries.

If I am to believe that, why would I worry about the used Lifepo4 batteries in my Evo that are unlikely to have been discharged thousands of times? They are tested to deliver 100% of the rated Ah on the unit. I don't do 100% deep discharges on my Evos,

Agreed, and they seem to be charging a higher price per KWh when compared to similar units with new first rate cells.

Agreed, and they seem to be charging a higher price per KWh when compared to similar units with new first rate cells.
Why do people buy Battle Born for twice the cost of other brands when they use basically the same cells that everyone else does? SOK battery is $300 dollars less and you can even take the box apart to service/replace parts.

Why do people buy Battle Born for twice the cost of other brands when they use basically the same cells that everyone else does? SOK battery is $300 dollars less and you can even take the box apart to service/replace parts.
For some people, cost is less important than quality. When you buy a battleborn, you're getting a battery that works, and a company that stands behind it, 100% of the time.

With regard to Evo being used? They say so right on their website ,,,

Manufactured from Overstock, Repurposed, and Surplus Cells.

Mine were made from NEC batteries using the old A123 pouch cells that were 1) A+ cells 2) made in America 3) have built in balance circuit

The Chinese Co that bought A123 still makes the old Nano phosphate 20 amp pouch cell and it sells for $50 new. In order to DIY one of my Evo batteries you would need to buy 96 of em (16s6p) and that would be $4800 and this is just the pouches, no case, no bms, no device to connect the cells

I paid $1746 each and that includes shipping, so total $3492 and they both took a full charge and they both delivered the 120AH they are rated at

Had I bought an EG4 100 AH for $1495 from SS (and yes I looked when I bought the 6000T from em) my shipping would have been $340 and this was before all the problems

Like I said I love my Evo's

I am a newby to solar, and had intended to buy bigbattery kong for my design, why the negative feedback on bigbattery? I watched a lot of videos and they seem very professional.
Just seeking clarification, to guide my decision.
thx
I spent $10k with them and am very happy. Great price, quick service and solid product for the last year so far. It was the best value I could find. In my case, they paid for shipping and tax. I"d buy from them again.

I'd like to echo what @Browneye said as I came to the same conclusion when I made the switch to lifepo4 a year and a half ago. I wasn't willing to take the chance with so many negative reviews and went with the build it yourself. I just added an additional 230ah DIY and am a happy off-gridder.

For some people, cost is less important than quality. When you buy a battleborn, you're getting a battery that works, and a company that stands behind it, 100% of the time.
Here is Will Prouse's review of the 200Ah SOK battery.
For $160 more, you can get double the capacity, serviceability, low temp cutoff, 10-year warranty, and similar life cycle claims. For a community that prides itself on getting the best quality, best deals/ prices on their system components, and given the positive review of the battery by none other than the guru of solar, I don't see the financial benefit of purchasing a Battleborn over a SOK.

Here is Will Prouse's review of the 200Ah SOK battery.
For $160 more, you can get double the capacity, serviceability, low temp cutoff, 10-year warranty, and similar life cycle claims. For a community that prides itself on getting the best quality, best deals/ prices on their system components, and given the positive review of the battery by none other than the guru of solar, I don't see the financial benefit of purchasing a Battleborn over a SOK.
Personally, I wouldn't purchase ANY pre-built battery. I'm just saying there's people out there who aren't worried about cost. The same reason people buy Mercedes when a Honda will get you to wherever you're going just as well.

Back