diy solar

diy solar

Beginner question on setting up battery system, where to learn?

Mcsquish

Hello all, after watching multiple videos I am no closer to knowing how to hook up my battery bank to my inverters.
Where is a good resource on learning about all of this stuff? I don’t learn well reading books unless they are very basic, so I am not very book smart. I’ve watched who knows how many videos, and have learned a lot, but I still have questions.
My current question (no pun intended, maybe) is connecting one battery bank to two 6000XP inverters. I saw where someone had cut the buss bars in a cabinet so there were three batteries connected to one inverter and three connected to the other. And I saw where someone came out of the rack with one set of cables and then split them into two sets, one for each inverter.

I’d really appreciate any advice, I want to learn so I have a reliable system and so I don’t burn down the neighborhood…
Thank you

This ^^.
And some more important things: All batteries should have the exact same cable length to said busbar.
Also, all connected inverters should have the same length DC cables going down to the busbar.
Do not split the batteries. All together connected to the same common busbar to be shared between the inverters.

Last edited:
Does the inverter cable length to busbar make a difference? Each inverter might see a slightly different voltage, but that shouldn't be an issue. The reason for equal length battery cables is to use batteries equally. The length of the inverter cable affects the total length, but each battery sees the same length to any given inverter.

There really isnt a "good" easy guide anywhere for solar systems. They all assume we have all done this before. Some of the diagrams available here, you need to be a fully qualified electrician to understand. And thats the beginners guides? I realise that some people try and protect themselves as getting things wrong with electricity can result in very bad things happening.

It took me a while to figure out what I needed. And why.

The differences with suppliers and the information they supply as well seems to be vastly different.

Attachments

• Drawing1.jpg
    Drawing1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 12
For now we aren’t getting into the solar part of a system, for now the system is for when we loose power. Where I am, it rains or it’s cloudy for at least 6 months of the year. LOL

And thanks everyone for the info!

Back