diy solar

diy solar

Setting up a mini system

Bro, first, ditch the idea of Car batteries. For solar storage, you need deep cycle discharge batteries. Car batteries are not made for that. It wont last you more than 6months that is if you even get 6months.
Second, most of the solar panels sold in Nigeria are junks imported from China. Their true rating is sometimes half of the advertised rating. Infact sometimes 1/3 of it. I have two 300W panels bought in Lagos, and the best I have got from them combined is 250W for panels that are advertised as 600W. And my charge controller is a Renogy MPPT charge controller so it is definitely not my charge controller that is not effecient. So that 180W you are planning may not give you more than 80W sadly. So you need to overpanel your setup(Buy many panels than the initial amount you planned)
Third, you end up saving more money in the long run if you end up buying LIFEPO4 battery than any other type of battery. Get a Redodo or Litime battery on amazon and use a drop shipping company to help you ship it to Lagos. Dont use a lead acid battery as they dont have a long life span like LIFEPO4 batteries
I have been looking for information like this. I live in the US, but I want to send batteries and solar panels to Nigeria for my family. Like you said, it's hard to get panels and even batteries that are rated what they claim. What dropshipping company are you using? And how easy is it to ship from the US to Nigeria?

Your response will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have been looking for information like this. I live in the US, but I want to send batteries and solar panels to Nigeria for my family. Like you said, it's hard to get panels and even batteries that are rated what they claim. What dropshipping company are you using? And how easy is it to ship from the US to Nigeria?

Your response will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I wont advice you to ship Solar panels from the US to Lagos because they are made of glass and can break in transit. They wont even easily fit on an airplane. But all other parts like your battery, Charge controller, inverter and the rest are quite easy. I always buy them on Amazon US. LifePo4 battery, charge controller etc. Because the US uses 110V AC and we use 230V AC here, I usually buy my inverter from Amazon UK or Renogy UK. Thesame dropshipping company ships from both the US and Uk to Lagos as well. But I bought my Litime LifePO4 batteries and Redodo LiFePo4 batteries on Amazon US. The drop shipping company I use charges $5 per pounds(lb) of weight. A 100ah battery weighs approximately 22lb to 25lb. Thats about $125 shipping fee per 100ah battery. Most 100ah battery approximately weight is 25lb. The new Litime Mini is 22lb. And the shipping is quite fast. 7 to 14days to Lagos. The company sometimes ask me to tell Redodo or Litime to send me a MSDS document that can confirm to the airline that the battery is safe for air transport and Redodo did send me the document the last time I purchased two of their 100ah LIFEPO4 battery on amazon.(Note that you can only ship LIFEPO4 battery via airplanes and not leadacid or other types of batteries because LIFEPO4 batteries are considered safe for airtravel) So it is a very easy process. I dont buy stuffs like this in Lagos. Only the US(Batteries, charge controller, etc) and UK(inverters only). I use a drop shipping company in Texas. There is also another one I use in Delaware.
As for Solar Panels, buy in Lagos and just overpanel(assume you will only get half of the rated stated wattage then use that to calculate the numbers of panels you need). There are also some trusted brands that allow you test the panels and also have warranties). But all thesame, just assume it is half the rated wattGe you will get then overpanel your setup.

may have to go for a LiFePO4 battery, maybe a 12V 100-150Ah, for now

Save up money, buy LFP battery. It will cost you less if you hold your end of the arrangement.
I would suggest one 200Ah LiFePo4 battery which isn’t much more than 150Ah if you look around a bit. More headroom, more usable.

I wont advice you to ship Solar panels from the US to Lagos because they are made of glass and can break in transit. They wont even easily fit on an airplane. But all other parts like your battery, Charge controller, inverter and the rest are quite easy. I always buy them on Amazon US. LifePo4 battery, charge controller etc. Because the US uses 110V AC and we use 230V AC here, I usually buy my inverter from Amazon UK or Renogy UK. Thesame dropshipping company ships from both the US and Uk to Lagos as well. But I bought my Litime LifePO4 batteries and Redodo LiFePo4 batteries on Amazon US. The drop shipping company I use charges $5 per pounds(lb) of weight. A 100ah battery weighs approximately 22lb to 25lb. Thats about $125 shipping fee per 100ah battery. Most 100ah battery approximately weight is 25lb. The new Litime Mini is 22lb. And the shipping is quite fast. 7 to 14days to Lagos. The company sometimes ask me to tell Redodo or Litime to send me a MSDS document that can confirm to the airline that the battery is safe for air transport and Redodo did send me the document the last time I purchased two of their 100ah LIFEPO4 battery on amazon.(Note that you can only ship LIFEPO4 battery via airplanes and not leadacid or other types of batteries because LIFEPO4 batteries are considered safe for airtravel) So it is a very easy process. I dont buy stuffs like this in Lagos. Only the US(Batteries, charge controller, etc) and UK(inverters only). I use a drop shipping company in Texas. There is also another one I use in Delaware.
As for Solar Panels, buy in Lagos and just overpanel(assume you will only get half of the rated stated wattage then use that to calculate the numbers of panels you need). There are also some trusted brands that allow you test the panels and also have warranties). But all thesame, just assume it is half the rated wattGe you will get then overpanel your setup.
Thanks for the explanation. Can you please tell me what the dropshipping company's name is?

If you have to send a solar panel, go with flexible like the CIGS from BougeRV. They are expensive and I have not direct experience using them but the portability to setup anywhere maybe more a benefit than solid frame units.
This is just an example and better or cheaper maybe out there.
Flex Panel CIGS example.

I contacted them and they said shipping will take 60 days as they only ship batteries via sea. Did you go through the same issue?
I have messaged them to tell them it is a LIFEPO4 battery you want to ship. They probably thought it was a lead acid battery(they only ship that via ocean). Contact EG4 to send you a MSDS document that can confirm that the battery is safe for passenger plane travel and the risk of thermal run away is close to zero. Then send the document to them. That should work.

I would suggest one 200Ah LiFePo4 battery which isn’t much more than 150Ah if you look around a bit. More headroom, more usable.
It was impossible to purchase a lithium battery as it exceeded my budget a lot. So, I got a tubular flooded lead acid battery and it is sufficient for now. I may have to add another as soon as I can afford it as it appears that the setup will be able to take it. The battery gets fully charged before 8am.

Back