diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti vs Growatt - am I just setting myself up for pain?

plympton

Solar Enthusiast
I'm building this system - it's a "starter" system to play with. I'd like it to be reliable, easily monitorable. It doesn't have to be expandable outside battery storage. It's mostly to learn, outage backup, and power bill reduction (but not elimination). 120v only - I don't need any 240v output for this system, and would require a 240v generator (big, noisy, and don't have).

Either system will be connected to 6 Hyperion 400W Bifacial Solar Panels (2 strings of 3s) - 37.07v VOC.

1. Bluetti AC300 + B300(1 or 2). I like this system - I bought 2 on eBay refurbished. I was planning on using 1 AC300 + both batteries, having 1 AC300 in storage as a backup (I like backups!). However, 1 AC300 can't connect to Wifi, and the other quite literally popped after I bench tested it, and now won't power the AC on. I can get replacements sent to me, but...

2. A Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES and 1 EG4 LifePower4 battery. I'd possibly get another Growatt to put in storage, but think perhaps not since they're likely to be more reliable and generic enough I could replace in the future. I'm concerned about connecting it to HomeAssistant. I really just didn't want to crimp big cables, I guess. After running all kinds of wires that seems like a silly excuse.

Am I setting myself up for pain and suffering with the Bluetti stuff? I'd get a 6000xp if it took 120v generator input, but alas...

It all depends. I assume most people here would suggest the Growatt as it's DIY, expandable, etc. But if your not handy and/or don't want to play with stuff then the Bluetti is a good way to go. An advantage of the Bluetti is that it's portable so you can take it with you if you move, go on a trip, etc.

I have both type systems. Right now I have a Pecron that all I have to do is plug in the panels and it's good to go. I also have a Victron based system with all the components and is unlimited in expandability.

I'm actually considering getting an Ecoflow Delta Pro Ultra with a couple of batteries as a backup as all I have to do is plug it into my generator port and throw the interlock and I can run the entire house. For me I don't want to deal with my town so no panels on the house. They are ground mounted and if the town some day decides to give me greif I'll just pick up the ground mount system and put it on my trailer. With the Ecoflow, no permits or dealing with the town as it just plugs into my generator port which was put in when the house was built and OK'd by the inspector. If I move my entire system goes with me and there are no mods or things to fix on the house. I'll pay quite a bit more for the Ecoflow system than I would by just expanding my Victron system but again other than running the cables from the panels everything else is just plug and play.

My Victron gear will be dedicated to it's own off grid system to run all my external buildings such as my pool house, chicken coop and shed. I love playing and experimenting with the solar stuff so this is where I have the fun. The Pecron will be my mobile system that I can throw in the car, take on vacation, etc.

Curious as to what you decide to do.

I recommend the Growatt, or any system you build yourself that is UL listed to be added to the grid over any pre-made solar generator.

I looked at the Bluetti, and you really need to stay in the Bluetti product line to get it to work, so, I found the specs limiting.

I don’t know if the Growatt is stackable so if your needs grow someday if you can just get another. If it were not, I’d recommend getting an inverter that is stackable so you can parallel for additional watts.

You could still get a 6000XP and not use the AC input. Just get a Chargeverter for the batteries. That way, if you ever want 240 later, you have it without having to buy another inverter.

Back