diy solar

diy solar

Blink Camera Solar Power

Nikg736

I have 2 Blink outdoor cameras (3rd gen?) and 1 Blink doorbell camera. I'd like to not have to buy/replace the special lithium AA batteries, so I was thinking of going solar. I've seen pre-made units on Amazon, but they probably have the lowest quality 18650 cells and no charge control so I'm assuming the batteries will not survive long. I had a cheap solar-powered motion-detection outdoor LED light that could not be disassembled without destroying it, and when I smashed it open I found the culprit...which was a completely dead 18650. How wasteful! The solar panel, LED panels, motion detector and plastic case were all in great shape but the unit was rendered useless by the cheap battery. So...I am not looking for a repeat with a solar power supply for the cameras.

OPTION 1:
I found the following video:
I'd like to follow this basic idea with cheap panel and PWM SCC, but I am going to use some lithium cells I already have coming to me (1600mah Panasonic power cells). Question is whether a cheap BMS is needed? Video says one was built into his battery pack. Do I need one? If so, then these cheap ones OK?

OPTION 2:
I was thinking (perhaps erroneously) there is a slightly more efficient and elegant solution using something like the following simple charger, a small 5-6v panel and a diode to prevent discharging when there is no light for the panel. Hook it up to a single 18650 cell and then just directly feed the camera from this power.

I figure instead of having 12v panel feed a SCC to charge a 12v battery that possibly needs a BMS and step down to integrated 5v USB ports and feed a 12v load line ultimately stepped down from 12v to 5v at buck converters, maybe it would be better to just have a 5-6v panel feed a charger to a battery between 3.7-4.2v, and then just connect the camera to that.
Am I missing something here with option #2? At less than $1 each I am a bit skeptical of those little charger boards. Might not be very robust.

I've used two of the "pre-made" units on Amazon for two years. Work perfect except in two cases:

1) violent winds cause the cable to fall out (needed to secure the loose section of the cable better).
2) a rodent chews through the wire.

I've used two of the "pre-made" units on Amazon for two years. Work perfect except in two cases:
There are so many of them...care to share which ones?

I really like the DIY route, but admittedly this time it could be skipped if there is a reasonable pre-made solution. DIY might be slightly cheaper and probably better, but I'm not powering a house here. If there are any units that can be disassembled to get to the battery (and ideally the panel), then I would probably go for it. I can easily replace a battery and I've got plenty 18650's. Same if a panel ever failed.

Also, just for reference for other projects, has anybody used those super-cheap BMS and charger boards? Would never use them for something vital, just wondering if they are usable for small power applications like phone charger battery bank, DIY tool battery, DIY rechargeable power for portable audio etc.

Last edited:
I've got 6 solar powered blink cams 2 gen 4 and 4 gen 3
4 on the self contained solar mounts for Blink gen 3 and 2 on the gen 4 mounts which are relatively new products.
The original mounts are over 2.5 years old and have never gone dead even with multiple motion triggers and all set to 30 second clips at highest resolution and brightest IR lighting.
Latest units have a 3300mah battery.

Yeah, basically all of my cameras are in shade so I would need the separate panel models. At $66 for 3 of them it's pretty tempting just to get pre-made. Thanks for sharing the link.

Back